Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd Navigon 8110 remote control ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Navigon 8110 remote control ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Odd Navigon 8110 remote control ?? Reply with quote

Anyone able to figure out just what this is ? http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.navigon.com%2Fsite%2Fde%2Fde%2Fshop%2Fconsumer%2Faccessories%2F23%2Funiversal%2F1226&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

It suggests it's just a simple remote control but the picture looks odd and at
75 euros it seems expensive to be just a remote control?
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's the bluetooth remote control - it works like a mercedes command system on the latest cars with a left right rotation for volume and scrolling through menus, a click to select (or perhaps engage voice recognition) and two user programmable hot keys I think. They must add the stuff via navigon fresh because there is no way the interface is designed for it.

In some ways this is an upgrade over the garmin voice activation button.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May look into it a bit more... the 8110's are now on the UK Navigon site so maybe this will appear soon.
Would like to know how it works before spending so much on one though... The 8110 was easier to see what it does, this isn't.
I remember when I very first got the 8110 there was a menu option for bluetooth remote so maybe this is it?
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is safer to have this than have to constantly tap the screen. Especially since it is less fiddly than a tomtom remote.

It's still far too expensive. £400 for the portable satnav+remote is taking the mickey IMO.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I already have a really good remote control. It's called the passenger. Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure whether the remote WOULD be safer - I'm don't know where you fix it (surely you don't have to hold it in your hand - Stop! er, hello Officer ). Then when you operate it won't you still be looking over at the unit to see what it is you're doing? Even less time to look at the road.

It seems very clunky too - I see it's also supposed to go with a Porsche-fitted unit (possibly its main use). I wouldn't like it cluttering up the lines of MY Porsche Wink

TBH I can't actually see the value of a remote anyway, unless the unit is positioned out of easy reach - how do you find it useful? I have radio volume controls on the steering wheel, but I can't say I've ever used them.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come the cost of the 8110 is 400GBP on the UK site but if you order it from the "International" site, it works out at almost fifty quid less??

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order from Expansys instead. Similar price to the International store and shipped from within the UK.

I'm sure like most companies Navigon will say it's down to the exchange rate with the euro. (don't get caught out buy the fact some credit card companies now slap on their own charge for none £ purchases)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: