Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Question Re: Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Question Re: Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ledgepie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Newbie Question Re: Updates Reply with quote

Sorry if these have been asked before and also if they are dumb questions!! I am thinking of subscribing to Pocket GPS for the cameras etc. When I have downloaded and installed and set up all the "warn me when xxx yards away" etc. do I need to do that again if an update has been found? Also how would I know there is an update available?

Cheers

John
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

No, once you have your warning distances and sounds setup, they dont need to be done again.

When you download the update, your just overwriting the old files with new, the configuration for the sounds and warning distances is left untouched.

As far as im aware, there is no offical notification when an updated version of the PGPSW databases is available, you just need to look on the speed camera webpage every week.

For me personally, I only do an update every few months, and generally if im going beyond my local knowledge..

Cheers

MPW
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
Hi John,

As far as im aware, there is no offical notification when an updated version of the PGPSW databases is availabe

That said, I think there is sometimes a notification on the home page that a new version is available. But you dont get an email etc..

What would be handy in my opinion, see that big yellow square with the earth and camera in it just over there
<<<=========
it would be handy if just underneath it said : Lastest Db Version 6.073 17 July 08

Cheers

MPW
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPW is correct about not needing to renew the warning settings.

BUT there IS notification of every new release. Visit THIS PAGE and at the bottom of it, click the line saying "Watch this topice for replies" and every time a new announcement is made, you'll get a notification email. You need to remember to use the link in the email to visit the topic or it will stop notifying you. There is also the RSS feed method - that's a closed book to me, I'm too old for all this new fangled stuff, but if you know how it's done, you can use that instead (or in addition, who knows?).
Welcome to the forum.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
What would be handy in my opinion, see that big yellow square with the earth and camera in it just over there
<<<=========
it would be handy if just underneath it said : Lastest Db Version 6.073 17 July 08

Cheers

MPW

How about you just click the big yellow square and then at the top of the page which displays it says
Quote:

PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database Version 6.073 17 July 08
This release sees 151 static and mobile speed cameras added/modified across the various speed camera databases by 63 users. We have also banned 2 users for breach of copyright (as well as another 2 for file sharing dating back to 2006 - take heed if you have ever shared your database!). Please click the link below for the full breakdown of country, speed camera type and number. All members submitting qualifying reports of static/mobile speed cameras will be credited with lifetime memberships by 17:00 18 Jul 08.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, We all learn something new every day!

The reason why I would find the release date handy under the yellow box would be,

1. i didnt know about that what the notify update on topic thing
2. i dont really look at the home page
3. the only shortcut link into this site i use is the forum page.
4. so to save me an extra click, if i see under the yellow box its been updated then i would click it.

Think now i will refer to number 1., and enough said!
Have added myself to the list.

Cheers

MPW
Ledgepie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
MPW is correct about not needing to renew the warning settings.

BUT there IS notification of every new release. Visit THIS PAGE and at the bottom of it, click the line saying "Watch this topice for replies" and every time a new announcement is made, you'll get a notification email. You need to remember to use the link in the email to visit the topic or it will stop notifying you. There is also the RSS feed method - that's a closed book to me, I'm too old for all this new fangled stuff, but if you know how it's done, you can use that instead (or in addition, who knows?).
Welcome to the forum.

The link above takes me to a page that states "The topic or post you requested does not exist"
Cheers

John
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledgepie wrote:
The link above takes me to a page that states "The topic or post you requested does not exist"
You have to be a Subscribed Member to be able to assess that section of the Site.

It is called the Dedicated Subscriber Forum and is another of the benefits of Subscribing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the newsletter notifies updates?
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-latest.htm#subscribers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newsletter tends to be once per month whereas the Speed Camera database tends to be released more frequently - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: