Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NavNGo iGO 8: Sales do not reply, so is Support any good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NavNGo iGO 8: Sales do not reply, so is Support any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i was actually going to post a list of all the cameras that need heading data but then realised it would be rather long...!!!
MaFt

On a slightly tangental note and not wishing to open up myself to flame responses of not being grateful for all the PGPSW staff efforts......

I have notoiced that in the .txt camera files I download for iGO, that the positional data is not always the same as the values that are displayed in the camera database on the web site. Sometimes a final character is missing, and sometimes it is different. For example:-

Red light camera ID#9362 has in the PGPSW site Lat:51.47311, Lon:-0.03257
In my downloaded file it is -0.03258,51.4731

Just a thought, but does the .txt creation routines need a quick check?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a rounding error. 0.00001 of a degree is about three and a half feet in English or just over a meter in that foreign stuff. Still a much smaller 'error' than the accuracy of the GPS Very Happy so I wouldn't get too excited about it Wink
I expect that MaFt will check it out though.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

mikealder wrote:
Both Igo8 and McGuider will run on the 4700 but you will have "fun" with the GPS if using Bluetooth, neither application seem to find the BT GPS each time you start either application on the 4700, you have to connect each time by going to BT Device Manager, I have not tried the applications with a CF GPS yet but will do so in the morning. I have always found the auto connect for a BT GPS somewhat lacking on the iPAQ-4700 though so it could be my hardware, although a hard reset of the unit still produced the same problems for connection.

Both applications have no problem finding the built in GPS on the PDA based phones I have tried them on though - Mike

Thanks for the information. I've ordered a copy of McGuider, so it will hopefully arrive tomorrow for me to start playing with it!

I'm not too worried about manually telling the H2210 or the hx4700 about which Bluetooth device to use as I think this feature only appeared in Mobile 5 an above, my two iPAQs are WM2003/WM2003SE.

However. back On Topic, it seems like nobody from Nav n Go wish to comment Rolling Eyes on either of the following:

1. Their general lack of communication.
2. Whether their post-sales support is any better.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

2. Whether their post-sales support is any better.

I have contacted Nav N Go regarding support for iGO 2006+ and iGO 8 on several occasions, and have always been pleasantly surprised by the speed and helpfulness of the responses. I usually get a reply within 12 hours. It helps to only ask/raise one point at a time, 'though.

I always use their web site and have registered with My Nav N Go. Don't know if that is different to the way other people have been contacting them.

They seem a very helpful company.

Regards
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case (blank screen on Asus A696 when iGo 8 starts, solution: manual modification of the sys.txt file, found on another forum) the response time is 9 weeks now and time is counting Very Happy
Really, veeery helpful :]
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxmaciek wrote:
In my case (blank screen on Asus A696 when iGo 8 starts

That is a shame, but a quick look at the supported devices on the Nav N Go site for iGO 8 does not list the A696 under Asus models-

http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_supported_devices

Could be why they feel that they do not need to reply. But in any event, they could at least have replied with a "not supported device" response.

Glad that you got iGO8 up and running any way.

Regards
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However Mxmaciek,

I do see in the Q & A section for iGO8 support on the Nav N Go site, the following almost at the very end...

Q: I have ASUS A696 PDA. I see black screen with four dots in the corners after upgrade. What can I do?
A: Open the sys.txt (Program Files/iGO8 folder) on the PDA, and add two lines at the end:
[rawdisplay]
driver=gdi

https://navngo.com/pages/global/eng/my_faq

Not sure if this was the fix you found, but I agree that it would have been nice for them to have pointed you to it.

You did use their official form to log your problem, didn't you?

Regards
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely clear:
What is doing the person in troubles?
Is going to the web site. Which one? www.i-go.com/en/contacts/index.php
similarly, you can go into www.navngo.com .
I have sent the question through available emails, and as a response, I have only echo.
Let's go further: My Nav N Go.
It should be called: My Nav N Get Out. Why?
I have bought bundled stand alone version of the iGo 8.
Have you tried to register it?
As what? Stand alone 2006 or 2005? Or, I shall try under my PDA device (even if I bought PDA a yera before iGo 8 installation on it)?
And now try to: delete all cokies from your computer, and try to go to link sent by you WITHOUT registration. Looks funny? As all iGo support.
Well, to be honest:
I have found the solution on the warez forum. Peoples there are thinking how to run iGo even more than Nav N Go company.
More: i was considering to download and run the "patched" version of iGo 8 if I'll not be able to run the legal one. Fortunately, they posted the solution as well.
Only one final note:
If I'm buying the LEGAL, LICENSED software, never ming if it's the operating system, a game or navigation soft - I'd like to be able to obtain LEGAL support and register it instead of digging the warez pages. but, as possibly you know, human is able to take lessons learned...
And, please compare:
- legal version: proud to be legal, left without support, with software which is not starting/hanging the device, without possibility to find by myself because of registration process which cannot be passed through;
- illegal version: called as a thief, pirate etc, having possibility to obtain patched version of the software, which is working on virtually any device (the locked WinCE including), and in case of any problems having almost immediate response from another peoples.
Well, conclusion is left for you...
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go..........
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I still have the LEGAL version.
But if I'm paying for something - I'd like to have what I paid for.
If I can't obtain the paid service - well, somebody just fleeced me.
I just want to underline that if somebody (Nav N Go) is blaming the peoples who are thieving their soft - shall fullfill thier legal obligations first.
And at last, but not least: this is just explaining why the piracy is so popular: there is plenty of people dissapointed and left behind after sale...
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alab wrote:
That is a shame, but a quick look at the supported devices on the Nav N Go site for iGO 8 does not list the A696 under Asus models-

http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_supported_devices

Could be why they feel that they do not need to reply. But in any event, they could at least have replied with a "not supported device" response.

Glad that you got iGO8 up and running any way.

Well, if you'll go to the specs, the difference between 639 and 696 is (taken from ASUS webpage):
A639 - ROM = 1Gb, A696 - ROM = 256MB (RAM amount is same, so form user's point of view - no difference).
ASUS 696 - SIR added in comparison to A639.
And, of course: GPS antenna is physically fitted in the different way in the both devices, but I don't think that is related to the blank screen.
The true is that iGo8 is NOT working with UPDATED to WM6 A639 without the sys file modification as well (tested).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I've ordered a copy of McGuider, so it will hopefully arrive tomorrow for me to start playing with it!

One big plus point of this software is they allow you to move the application and maps to a larger memory card than that supplied, only once, but this is far better than being locked to a memory card with inadequate free storage, McGuider offer this facility, I-Go do not which is a real shame.
Having used the McGuider application for one week it looks good, I have experienced one or two glitches with the routing on long trips, but generally it works as expected supplying solid routing with a decent display, even the HMI (Human Machine Interface) should look very familiar if moving from TomTom Navigator 5 or 6 - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the major difference between the A696 and the A639 apart from memory is that the 696 has wifi and the 639 does not.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to make a case for Pirate software, I do think that the manufactures do make it more requirable by putting too many limitations on the software, In my case 1 would love to make the transition from tomtom to igo8 but using a 8gb card on my a696 the last thing i want is to keep changing cards to use another program because of igo being tied to the small card, it would also be nice to run both tomtom and igo on the same card during the transition, at the moment i am willing to wait until teleatlas finally get round to updating thier maps.
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I think the major difference between the A696 and the A639 apart from memory is that the 696 has wifi and the 639 does not.

ASUS states on their web page that both (A639 and A696) are equipped with wifi b/g ...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: