Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk Reply with quote

I ordered the Haicom 204e installed and worked fine until the magnet in the receiver wiped my hard drive!!!!!! globalpositioningsystems.co.uk deny any link nor do they give any warning there is a magnet in the unit.

They were very rude to me when I told them what happened!

Do not buy these units and do not expect thier customer service to help if you have problems.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk Reply with quote

Inspiron8500 wrote:
I ordered the Haicom 204e installed and worked fine until the magnet in the receiver wiped my hard drive!!!!!! globalpositioningsystems.co.uk deny any link nor do they give any warning there is a magnet in the unit.

They were very rude to me when I told them what happened!

Do not buy these units and do not expect thier customer service to help if you have problems.

All seems strange that magnet if in Haicom would be strong enough to
damage hd.
Any warnings in instruction manual?
Dealt with gps in the past and would use them again
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahm... most all of the serial GPS receivers come with a magnet at their base (so they could be positioned on the roof if need be)... Not necessarily the reseller''s fault. Of course that doesn''t give them the right to be rude about it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you mount the receiver that it affected the Hard Drive?

The nature of HDD's is such that they are very suceptible to strong magnets causing damage, the tolerances on the read/write heads and platter are very small indeed, any deviation caused by a strong magnetic field would destroy the platter in seconds.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, we once had a guy who used a magnetic mount. All was well until he used that in combination with his CF Microdrive... For a few seconds...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, but that was a magnetic PDA mount, that's just plain silly ;)
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Globalpositionsystems.co.uk Reply with quote

The guy at globalpositioning systems basically laughed at me and said that magnets cannot hard drives. We all know this is not the case. There is no warning on the box or in the manuals that these units contain magnets. As they are designed to be used with PDA's and Laptops I find it unbeleivable that there is no warning.

I do not doubt there is a perfectly practical use for the magnet but it is irresponsible for the manufacturer and retailer not to provide warnings baring in mind the devices these machines are to be used with.

I did not mount the mouse on the hard drive it was just resting on the palmrest while I was setting it up. It just so happened the HD is directly under the palmrest. The result a loss of 40gb worth of data.

It would be nice for GPS to understand this potentially disasterous oversight and prevent furture data loss, but instead a cocky ';technical support' guy who is 'unaware' that magnets damage storage devices.

Basically he called me a liar and suggested I do not know how to use a computer. Happy customers keep on ordering but new customers be aware when making your choice if things do go wrong, which lets face it some of the time they do, you won't get anyhelp from these guys at globalpositioningsystems.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Globalpositionsystems.co.uk Reply with quote

Inspiron8500 wrote:
The guy at globalpositioning systems basically laughed at me and said that magnets cannot hard drives. We all know this is not the case. There is no warning on the box or in the manuals that these units contain magnets. As they are designed to be used with PDA's and Laptops I find it unbeleivable that there is no warning.

Well it does sound like GloPos don't really know what they're talking about. Hard drives have metal in them. Metal heads, it's erm, lets see, wait for it, oh yes "Magnetic Media". Just like floppy disks!

I can vouch that magnets do harm the MicroDrive's. I had a magnetic mount from a retailer, sucked it to the back of the iPAQ 2210, yeah holds it great, wait, my hard drive is in there, doh! Took the mount away from the iPAQ, powered the iPAQ on, clud, clud, cluddity clud. Since then the MicroDrive hasn't ever worked. Can't even find it now, I think I must have binned it in the house move.

I do think a safety warning should be issued with all magnetic media because so much in todays society revolves around magnetic media and hard drives in PC's and laptops. I've got these mounts very close to my laptop on a number of occasions, alarm bells as loud as a fire engine have started ringing in my head and I quickly snatch the mount away and pray it hasn't done any damage.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not post in the globalpositioningsystems forum... see what responses you get (if any).
If nothing else you will warn others of a potential problem.
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for your posts. I did try to warn others by posting in other parts of the forum but they were removed by PocketGPS staff because 'i made my point' here :-(
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturer issues no warning in the manual or in the product literature - hard disc gets wiped and phone retailer - does anyone really expect ANY retailer to accept responsibility? I don't think so.

I didn't get a warning with my watch, my Toshiba PCMIA hard disc and probably a lot of other things - if it sticks to metal and not my hand it is magnetic and gets treated as such.

I fully accept that all support staff in all retailers should, at all times, match the politeness of the customer.
simon pitts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is not our policy to discuss individual cases on open forums I feel in this case it might be useful to offer some additional information.

We are of course concerned when any of our customers experience a problem with a product that we have sold and endeavour to resolve any issues arising. In this case our technical support operator terminated the call with this customer after receiving verbal abuse including offensive language of a personal nature. We strive to help all of our customers and offer the best service we can. We will not however expose our staff to the type of behaviour exhibited by this customer.

We have passed details of this particular case to the manufacturer. The initial response is that it is unlikely that the flux density of the magnet is sufficient to effect the operation of a fully functioning hard disk drive. We are awaiting a full analysis from them.

Simon Pitts
Director
www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
simon.pitts@spotlightguides.co.uk
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracar thank you for your comment. I think you fail to realise that I was not aware this product had a magnet full stop! As you may witness the globalpositioningsystems website does not mention this device is magnetic nor does the box or the manual. It did not stick to my laptop so I was unaware of the damage it was causing.

Further to that the support person called me 'stupid' for suggesting magnets cause damage to hard drives, which I think we have proved in our discussions that this is not the case. Which brings me on to the official comment from GPS. I find it extremely insulting and unproffessional of yourselves to make slanderous comments in this public arena. I terminated the call myself and was polite the whole way through. For you to make up stories about me being abusive is wrong. Or has the technician made this up as an excuse for his rudeness? May I ask what I was meant to have said???

If you are not to warn customers of the dangers of magnets you could at least make clear the device is magnetic.

Had I known the device was magnetic I wuold not have placed it anywhere near my computer when setting the product up.

Can you please confirm in writing the report from Haicom. I assume you have my address on your database. May I also suggest that we both contact the drive manufacturer to establish the damage the Haicom mouse could cause if exposed to the hard drive.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many users have reported very few of the packages for serial GPS receivers (and for external antennas, for that matter) state that they contain fairly strong magnets.

While the reason for that magnet is clear (to stick it to the metallic roof) it would certainly help if that fact would be made more prominent on the packaging and in the manuals for these devices.

We will take this into account for future reviews that we do on serial receivers and other gear that may have a magnet inside.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for your reply. As well as informing people in reviews retailers need to stop providing false information. Globalpositioningsystems.co.uk still maintain that the magnets are safe and do not cause damage to hard drives. The tech support guy didn't even know himself that magnets cause damage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: