Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for Mountain Biking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for Mountain Biking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: GPS for Mountain Biking Reply with quote

Hi the more i look the more i get confused so ive no choice but to show my noobness and ask all the wrong questions....

As the title says im after a gps device that i can use on my bike.

Ideally i want to be able to follow tracks/waypoints whilst having a visual display of the surrounding topography. That is an ideal based on what i think i want though...
I like the use of memory map to plot these routes so any device would have to be compatable with that.
Price is an issue as i dont have endless funds

i hope ive given enough info

thanks

Jon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you could consider a PDA with built in GPS or use an external GPS via Bluetooth, put the PDA in an Otter box and secure that to the bike with a suitable RAM mount, or even their own mount.
For the mount see Here and for the case click Here - As for the PDA this will really depend upon your budget, but it is very easy to use Memory Map on a PDA - Mike
ashfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, i know i shouldnt ask this as budgets and personal choice can affect the answers but can you recommend a PDA or a few PDA's in diff price brackets

thanks again
xtx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just got myself a Garmin Edge 605 after going through the same thoughts.

Still not 100% convinced it's right as the in-built base map is 'very' basic.

If I could afford it I would probably look at a Satmap as this uses Ordnance Survey maps, but add on maps in the initial purchase and it's pretty pricey.

The PDA route is cost effective, and OS maps are possible with the right software, just a waterproof issue then of course in Sunny old UK.

Garmin mapping units still don't use OS maps and even with TOPO and City Nav NT added to the basemap the detail still lacks the complete feel of a 1:25,000 Explorer map.
Still experimenting so hopefully will be happy soon.

Very Happy Cool
ashfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the links above have all but convinced me PDA's with gps are the only way to go, certainly with the otters pouch for the wet weather. I suppose the only criteria i have now is the ruggedness of the PDA
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PDA for moutain biking and other outdoors stuff. Problems I find are Battery life, and GPS fix quality (It's a Navman Pin, SiRF II based) - make sure you get a SiRF III or equivilent GPS, unless you only bike in wide open paddocks. In use Memory Map software- which is excelent

Ruggedness- I am moderatly careful, and use the standard case and a plastic bag. In wet weather, it stays in the bag (really wet weather I stay home). Otterbox's are worth more than the PDA now, so if I trash it, it gives me the excuse I need to upgrade - that said, it has survived a number of "hard landings" - they are more robust than you would think (Or I am lucky).

I would consider a Bluetooth GPS with Data logging. The PDA can then be turned off and tucked into a nice warm, dry, safe spot while riding. The rugged GPS then logs your ride. Turn on the PDA when you are stopped or lost. Depends on you riding style - I like to ride hard and fast on narrow single track, so I don't read the map when moving.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few options for external battery packs to enhance duration from a PDA, I can get 14 hours from the ipaq-4700 using my home made pack, but not everyone wants something like that attached to a bike! - I took the following from one or two of my own posts from a couple of years ago:

Well I did used to have a custom battery pack built into my Otter box, until I stupidly charged it up using the wrong charger, the net result was battery parts all over the kitchen the following morning! - I have since built another one though I find the active 10 is a better device out on the fells.

Here is some information from a previous post:

mikealder wrote:
If you want to extend the battery duration for your P550 why not consider one of These They are available in smaller capacities, such as the one I use - lightweight and can recharge the device on the fly - the one I linked to should easily outlast the 76 unit when connected to the P550. You don't need a full time connection, just plug it in when you stop for lunch, tea or overnight.
Note the link is for an external rechargable battery pod not the contraption shown below.

If you want the waterproof aspect for your P550 consider an Otter Box this also offers "alternate" homemade "power pods" to be constructed such as this:

I get around 14 Hours from the ipaq using this method with the display on all the time, you can further extend battery duration by dimming the display or turning the back light off, but 14 Hours should suffice for a long days walk - Mike
maultby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: gps for mountain biking Reply with quote

hi
after lots of research i chose nokia 6110 with viewranger and boxit.
am astonished and delighted by its capabilities.
so much that i've written a review:
http://website.lineone.net/~maultby/Nokia%20Navigator%20&%20Viewranger%20Review.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: