Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap release v1.2 System Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap release v1.2 System Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul1q2w3e4r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpeej wrote:
I have just got back from a week in the Lakes when I used the SatMap (2.2) extensively.

the only problem I had was something I have previously reported. This was an erroneous fix (showed me several hundred yards from my actual position) and a reboot failed to get a sync despite signals from 6 satelliets showing.

The problem turned out to be some overhead electric cables because a walk 100 yards up the road fixed the problem.

The rest of the time it behaved impeccably

Peter

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm out and it locks....hopefully though, it won't!
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that the problem of battery drain when the A10 was switched off has now been fixed or at least greatly alleviated?

I have had my rechargeable batteries in for about 5 days and each time I check (about once a day) they still show the same level (3 bars).
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should measure the current draw when off with my device like I have done previously, I have not used my a10 for a couple of weeks and it still owers up so I guess they have done something to the software - Mike
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone else think that the problem of battery drain when the A10 was switched off has now been fixed or at least greatly alleviated?

As I have already said in this thread, I think that turning off the processor when not in use is a great advance, so much so that using the Lithium AA batteries now becomes feasible, at least as "spares" alongside my Hybrio NiMh cells. I have just put a meter on my A10 and and there is no measurable drain on the battery when not on. You only need to worry about the natural discharge rate of the battery type used.

I am still undecided about the LiPol battery pack. I am put off by the need to charge in advance and the fiddling around required to change batteries while out. Also Bazbailly reported that his LiPol battery leaked in his A10 http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=69133.

The improvements in 1.20 make it unlikely that I would need this upgrade.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery choice depends on how frequently you use the device, the custom Li-Pol cell is well worth the outlay IMHO, it is no inconvenience at all to charge the unit prior to a day out, and you will get more than 12 hours use with sensible settings/ use of the device while walking.

It is far less hassle than swapping out a set of AA batteries (rechargeable or disposable) part way through a wet and windy walk, but battery choice and use of the device is down to each individual user at the end of the day, if you are happy with the set up don't change it - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had satmap freeze on me today to my surprise. All seemed well then suddenly the GPS map stopped updating. I could move to other screens and even move the cursor around but each time I went back to the GPS screen it showed me where I had been some time before. I eventually solved the problem by switching off and removing the batteries then restarting.

I have no idea what if anything I did to cause this. I hope it is a one off but I think someone else reported something similar a while ago. Sadly I cannot now find the post.
Satsync 1.525
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I had satmap freeze on me today to my surprise. All seemed well then suddenly the GPS map stopped updating. I could move to other screens and even move the cursor around but each time I went back to the GPS screen it showed me where I had been some time before. I eventually solved the problem by switching off and removing the batteries then restarting.
If you could move to other screens and "move the cursor around" (presumably on the Planning screen) it sounds to me that the unit hadn't frozen, rather that it had lost satellite contact. Did you look/notice on the GPS Status screen whether it still showed contact? Removing and replacing batteries could simply be coincidental with regaining satellite lock.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It said it still had satellite lock and so it should on top of the highest mountain in the Black Mountains!

After the restart and a slightly slow re-lock (I was by then walking through woods) it tracked me through high dense forest into a valley with no evident problem.
Satsync 1.525
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I had satmap freeze on me today to my surprise. All seemed well then suddenly the GPS map stopped updating. I could move to other screens and even move the cursor around but each time I went back to the GPS screen it showed me where I had been some time before.

I have finally been able to use my unit for several all-day rides recently and have not had it freeze like it did prior to v1.20 but it has got to the point where white sections have appeared on the map screen which get bigger as I ride towards them....almost as if I only have a small area of mapping that I reached the limit of rather than the half GB map that I have (and am about 300 miles from the limit of). As the battery bar was down to one anyway by then I changed my batteries and carried on.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week ago I reported that the GPS map view strangely froze up on me during a walk. The same thing happened again today. After 7.6 miles and while walking through the streets of Ross on Wye. I could move the cursor (changing to planning mode in doing so) and then go back to GPS map in theory its just that the GPS position did not move when I did. I could also move between all the other screens which enabled me to see that in theory I had a fix on 8 satellites and an accuracy of 22 ft - but again this never changed.

This time I just switched off (no battery removal) and the device came up working again with just a straight line between where the fix go fixed and where I fixed it (please excuse the pun).

I'm finding this more than a bit annoying but as I assume that Satmap monitor this forum I do not plan to report this directly to them unless anyone thinks I should.

One thing that occurs to me is that it may be a memory problem which was an issue before the latest software upgrade. I currently have 8 walks in memory and a half GB 1:50,000 card loaded. So I will now have a clear out of the walks and hope this helps.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Satsync 1.525
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure it's memory...I'm using a 2gb card fully loaded, nearly, with 5 maps and I'm up to about 60 saved routes. But I haven't experienced your problem...my infuriating one has been the loss of a complete route, having saved it and renamed it, and copied it from the device to the card...only 2/3 times, but annoying all the same.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer said:
Quote:
Not too sure it's memory...I'm using a 2gb card fully loaded, nearly, with 5 maps and I'm up to about 60 saved routes. But I haven't experienced your problem...

But I had 8 walks and a couple of tracks in memory (rather than just on the card).

Well - I've deleted them now so I wait and see the next time around!
Satsync 1.525
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update if anyone is interested.

Sadly I had a third GPS lock up today again after just over 7 miles (this time 7.18 miles and a height amazingly of 718 ft!) Everything else seemed to be working fine and a switch off and back on led to a surprisingly rapid re-sync with GPS but still left an odd straight track line across about a mile of countryside!

This time I had no routes in memory.

Unless anyone else has such problems and wishes to enter in the discussion I will now stop mentioning this here and take up the issue directly with SatMap.
Satsync 1.525
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now spoken to SatMap about the odd GPS lock ups I have been suffering. They tell me that it is a known issue being addressed in updated software currently being trialed "in-house". They hope to issue updated software "soon".

Apparently the problem can strike at any time and my three occasions at just over 7 miles appear to be just chance.

They also said that they hope to have a forum for users - live - soon!

Finally I must agree with the advice often given in this forum. Ring them don't e-mail. I don't know why but days after sending them an e-mail no response. A phone call however got a speedy and helpful response.
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: