Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1? Reply with quote

I too have seen being locked into the status screen, not that often, but it does happen. Arthur, interesting about getting MicroDrive problem on a CF card also.
Art J
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1? Reply with quote

Tim,

Thanks for the information, it is really helpful to have someone who actually uses the equipment offering advice. Please let me know how you got on when you return I would apreciate it. I left my purchase too late for our last 5 day trip around Europe but the experience has left me all the more convinced that it is an essential piece of equipment to take. We had a selection of maps and were following a route devised by a friend using diagrams of the various junctions ( Tulip system I think the rally people call it ) Due to various deviations due to roadworks etc there were times we were effictively lost, our maps were not of sufficient scale to pick up the small village names on the altered route, we were navigating at some points by the old fashioned method of if you are heading south and it is in the morning keep the sun on your left !!

Have a good break and please let me know how the equipment performs.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Art,

Yes, I'm happy with my iPAQ/Navman setup. I've only noticed it give 'late' instructions when I've forced it to reroute by going a different way to that suggested. If it finishes its rerouting calculations at the same time as I arrive at a 'new' turn then I miss it! Generally it gives the instructions early, which means that if there are, say, two left turns in close proximity, I'd probably take the first one if I relied so;ely on voice navigation. Looking at that red line generally keeps me on track. As for the volume, I generally use the setup in my Fiat Scudo van, so it can seem a bit quiet with the radio on and the boom from the back, but I cope. I've also had it on my motorbike and can still hear it when it's in my tankbag, and I always wear earplugs on the 'bike. Oh, and I've never been routed off the motorway only to be routed back on it in the UK, but I'm off to France, Sapin and Portugal next week, on the 'bike, with my iPaq/Navman and Garmin V, so I'll let you know how I got on sometime in mid June.

sfi1
Regular Visitor

I drove through europe recently and have to say that the routing was as bizarre as ever. I usually check the route (without the gps fix) to see what the route is like, it always looks OK and doesn't take you off motorways only to be brought back on to it. Yet when actually travelling on the same route it keeps trying to take you off the motorway. Don't know why there is such a difference.
Art J
Occasional Visitor

Tim, Thanks for that information, are you generally satisfied with your set up ? some people I have talked to suggested that maybe this combination would be a bit slow giving instructions and you maybe will be past a turn before it tells you to turn, have you any experience of that condition ?

I drive a small sports car with the roof down at every opportunity ( which is a bit mad for a man of my age, not young !! ) , in your opinion is the volume of the voice instructions loud enough to be heard OK ?, I had considered an earpiece from the earpiece ouput as being an alternatice way of hearing the instructions,

Art
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Art,

You are considering the same setup I currently run. Have all the routing and bug fixes been addressed? 'Not yet' is the honest answer, but Navman appear to be working hard on the subject. A further Service Pack is due out in the next couple of months or so which, if reports are correct, will be a *big* step forward.

Art J
Occasional Visitor

Following this thread regarding promised updates, I am considering purchasing a iPAQ 3970 together with the Navman 3400 jacket. Have Navman come up with the bug fixes for the above problems, it is now 6 weeks on approx from the expected 16th March date ?
graeme
Occasional Visitor

Somewhere back in the thread you asked about the Navman and a 1gig Microdrive.

I use the GPS3000 sleve and SmartSt Pro USA with a 1gig drive. If you load more than about 350 megs of files at once SmartSt won't start. I read somewhere that the program caches around 8% in RAM so with 28 megs of RAM free the program will fail to load with 350 megs of data. I'm told you can get round this by using different folders but I can't get this to work as it always finds the other files. Haven't had much time to play around with this though - software only became available a few weeks ago direct from Navman USA - still not available in the UK as far as I know.

I use the Microdrive so I can store TomTom Navigator UK and Spain at the same time. (I prefer the TomTom software but they don't have a USA version)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've had confirmation that an additional route algorithm was integrated into the European update (but didn't modify the original route algorithm. A service release will be available which will aim to fix all existing known problems that have been reported to Navman. The service release is expected to be available as a download from the Navman website, and hopefully will be available in around 10 weeks time (for anyone reading this later) this equates to around 16th March 2003.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I have some news relating to the European Update...

Due to the large amount of changes made to the maps to incorporate European encoding, new languages and accented characters between version 1.90 and 1.91, it was only possible to fix some of the outstanding issues, the others will be fixed at the next service release this year according to Navman.

I've asked for confirmation of which patches made it into 1.91 and when the next patch is anticipated, however I'm still awaiting this information. As soon as I have it, I'll post it here.
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

Dave

Just to let you know I am now taken on a detour to get to my home whereas the previous version routed me OK. They still need a better menu for route preferences and stuff like service stations on motorways etc.

Otherwise I haven't encountered the 'blue' problem yet but will be going to Dagenham soon so it should show then.

Geoff
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The BIG question, have Navman fixed the routing issues in the European Update CD ?

I took a nice long drive and covered 3 areas where I noticed routing issues before, and unfortunately, the routing issues are still there. For some reason SmartST Pro (UK/Euro) seems to want to take you off the major roads or motorways and onto side roads to then route you back onto the same road you were driving along to start with. Why ?????

You'll see by the screenshot below, as in the original Navman 3400 Review we did several months ago, that although we were driving south west to north east along Station Road, heading for the roundabout by the petrol station to drive straight across the roundabout, SmartST Pro still after installing the European CD update decides to route us off to a side road and then back up to the roundabout.

The second screenshot we took again shows us wanting to travel south to north (up the screen), and SmartST Pro again asks us to take an alternative route and put us back on track on exactly the same road.

The final screenshots shows us travelling along the M27 east to west for a destination just off of Junction 7. At Junction 8 SmartST Pro takes us off the motorway and takes us on a wild back street drive to get to our destination.

Some other questions that Pocket GPS readers have been asking is if SmartST Pro software is still locked to the Navman sleeve, unfortunately it is. At present there is no way of using other GPS receivers with SmartST Pro.

I've also heard from several readers that they believe the blue bug has been fixed, and also from an equal set of readers that they are still experiencing this in various areas of the country. I won't be able to confirm this now until close to the new year as I will not be travelling the blue bug area due to the holiday season, but I'll post an update in this message to confirm whether or not it appears to have been fixed.
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

Dave, Re: your Microdrive problem. I have seen the same symptoms (UTC clock not starting) on a few occasions when the IPAQ is running on battery only, and I don't even own a Microdrive!... I'm using a 256MB CF card for the maps. For the record, I ALWAYS kick the IPAQ with the "stylus up it's rear end" reset before starting SmartST Pro, so it's not a memory issue....

Also Ludde, I have seen your problem where you get locked into the status screen. It's happened to me three times in as many weeks...

Steve
Ludde
Lifetime Member

I have upgraded my GPS to 3400 just before X-mas.

I am using an iPAQ 3870.

If I start with Destination and address and then switch to GPS Status to see how many satelites i receive, the moment I start to receive and the voice instructions start, the system locks in the GPS status window and I have to start all over again with Destination address and so on. I can not go directly to the main meny without making a "soft"reset first.

Has anyone in this forum experienced the same problem

I have the same annoying problem as Dave Burrows with "detours" with my Navman 3000/3400 in Sweden and Germany. To me it is a minor problem but Navman should put in some more effort to solve it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I have to agree with you from the routing perspective, as I cannot see any difference here. I have an open email with Navman for a complete list of bug fixes that were released into the European CD, but it looks like it didn't reach them in time for the holiday season though as I never got a reply back. TBH, I do have quite a few open emails with them that are at least 2-3 months old, so I'm not going to promise anything here as I may not receive anything back from Navman.

I've also on release of SmartST Pro and testing and reporting the original bugs, communicated that the Pocket GPS Team are more than happy to test and try to iron out these bugs alongside Navman by offering our services, and have communicated this on numerous other occasions direct to Navman. I know it can be difficult to find bugs, especially when they are only happening in specific regions, or more so in specific regions, but we have made the offer to Navman to aid them in resolving these bugs, it's just disappointing to see that they haven't been fixed!

I think they do offer hope that they will be fixed, as I and many others have received this direct from Navman, it's just a matter of when they will be fixed.

Strangely enough when I went out to battle the wind and the rains in getting the above routes verified, I had horrendous problems yet again with my MicroDrives. They work fine in my Navman 3000 sleeve with any other software, except for Navman's SmartST Pro. This results in not starting the UTC clock. Now with discussion with Navman in the early days in testing before we created the review, I found with Navman's help that the problem could be fixed by removing the MicroDrive's and installing SmartST Pro to an SD card, but my main concern on this, and is still why is it that other products don't have this issue with the exact same hardware, but SmartST Pro does. This worries me, and I'm sorry to say this really is a bug if other software can work quite happily. In testing on Christmas Eve, I even had the Navman plugged into the accessory socket, so there should have been no power drain whatsoever.

I'd be interested in hearing from any others if they have a MicroDrive using with SmartST Pro, and specifically a 1GB MicroDrive.

I think from a fixing perspective, yes it can and probably will have adverse affects on the Navman name, however there will always be new customers. TomTom with TomTom Navigator have already shown big problems with the UK maps provided in Navigator, and these still haven't been fixed (that reminds me, another email to be sent!), but TomTom do look to be producing bug fixes quite quickly, and feature enhancements. I hope Navman will look to be doing this in the next month once the rush of European support questions have reduced.

I've got an idea to start getting this testing and eradication of bugs off the ground, it'll probably be a slow uptake, but it would be invaluable to Navman, TomTom and other GPS companies and developers a like, watch this space (although nothing will happen until the new Year, or later). Talk to me off list if you want to know more, but I really can't say much more in public until the team as a whole has discussed this, and spoken with the relevant companies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: