Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading new maps from Tom Tom site query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading new maps from Tom Tom site query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiltman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Downloading new maps from Tom Tom site query Reply with quote

Some advice for a relative newbie please!
I have a 730T and am trying to take advantage of the Latest Map Version facility.
Using Home, I eventually get the message that V8.05 is available.
If I download it, does it just replace the exisitng 8.01 maps or does it try to install them alongside the current one?(If so then there's not enough memory!)Is it possible to download it to my 'puter and then replace the exisitng V8.01 - cannot see an option in home for this however.

The reson I ask is that according to the Tom Tom site, you have to remove the exisitng maps before applying new ones - well thats my reading of it but seeing others comments on the clarity of TomToms site, maybe I've misunderstood it!

I have a full backup made via Explorer but wanted to check with more experienced users before hitting "install" - when I tried to install the software upgrade previously it screwed up the unit and I had to go change it!

Thanks in advance and I promise to stop asking stupid questions in future!! Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloading new maps from Tom Tom site query Reply with quote

Quiltman wrote:
I promise to stop asking stupid questions in future!! Embarassed

There is no such thing as a stupid question - you are far better to ask prior to doing something than after the event when it is often too late.

As you have a full Windows Backup you will be able to re-install your old map should you want to, go ahead and update your device as you have nothing to worry about.

Once the new map is on the device I would then copy the map folder to your PC for safe keeping before doing anything else, or you could take another backup of the device using Windows Explorer which would do the same thing (and be easier to re-install later) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home always used to try to install a new map WITHOUT deleting the old one, possibly because the folder names were always different. Recently though it seems to have started replacing the old with the new, even managing to keep your POIs (which it always lost/left behind before).

Oh and by the way.... Home always downloads to your computer first and THEN extracts the files to your TomTom, as a two stage process.
Quiltman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!
glad you don't think it was a stupid question Mike! As you get older, you learn its better to ask and be called a fool than assume you know it all, that way lies disaster.

I'll start the massive download and see how we go - by the way, home said it would take well over an hour! and I'm on 10mb broadband!
is the tomtom site usually so slow?

Thanks again for the advice. these forums are lifesavers.

Cheers,
Quiltman
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen reports of map downloads taking close to ten hours when the servers are very busy, if you get the map in around one hour you have done well - just stick with it, if it fails try it again - Mike
Quiltman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bit the bullet!
Worked perfectly - took about 1hr 40 mins from clicking "install" to disconnecting so it looks like I got a good connection.

Doubtless more stupid wuestions in due course. Again,thanks for all the help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: