Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ideas: Rat Runs and Named POI Collections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas: Rat Runs and Named POI Collections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ideas: Rat Runs and Named POI Collections Reply with quote

A couple of points for consideration...

Rat Runs
One is a section dedicated to rat-runs in specific cities/towns, downloadable as Routes maybe. A stranger visiting a city such as Bristol might not be aware of the less clogged back streets that provide a faster entry to the city centre and a library of members' knowledge (indexed by city or entry road - eg A37 for Bristol) could be a useful learning resource!

Equally, members could upload their favourites...

Named POI Collections
The other is a collective set of POIs matching a well-regarded named source. Here could be POI collections for all entries in the Good Pub Guide, or the Good Beer Guide or AA approved B&Bs or Good Food Guide restaurants etc etc.

As long as the entries coincided with the published guide then members could add to the list over a defined period rather than some poor soul enter and upload 1200 pubs him/herself. I'm sure a duplicate avoidance algorithm could be sorted, rather as with speed cams.

Not sure of the copyright implications here (can you copyright locations?) but let's see what others think.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure personally about publicising Rat Runs, having JUST read in our local paper about the trouble residents suffer from inconsiderate motorists specifically using side roads to save time. I would have thought most locals would be very reluctant to have strangers tearing down their roads and going up on the pavement to get round parked cars, especially when kids are going to/coming from their schools. And these usually have to be closed or 'calmed' eventually. I used to use a superb route round the North Circular in London (carefully of course!) but that was blocked off to through traffic, quite rightly probably.

With Named POI Collecctions I would like this. I made up my own collection of some of the most prominent CAMRA pubs some time back - I suspect using the CAMRA publications as a source could be regarded strictly as an infringement, just as using the PGPSW camera database probably would be (even though it is recording public domain information, its database is its own property). I did suggest to CAMRA that they produce a POI list for their guides but never got a response (effort that would be involved again I guess). But it would be good if these organisations could produce POI lists. I would certainly be happy if necessary to pay a reasonable sum for some of them.

Suggest you put your suggestions on the Suggestions Box forum (see site Home page - many others are being made at the moment.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas: Rat Runs and Named POI Collections Reply with quote

ootoph wrote:
Not sure of the copyright implications here (can you copyright locations?) but let's see what others think.

Copyright is not a problem if it is your own work.

For example, if someone was compiling a list of CAMRA pubs and people submitted the pubs they personally knew about then there is no breach of copyright, even if they consulted a CAMRA guide to see where the pubs were. Alternatively, you could contact the copyright owner and ask for permission to make a GPS POI database from their pub guide - who knows they might just say yes!

Mmmm, forget speed cameras I'm going to become a full time pub spotter! Cheers! Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas: Rat Runs and Named POI Collections Reply with quote

ootoph wrote:
Not sure of the copyright implications here (can you copyright locations?).

I don't know how accurate it is but have a look at this or if you have trouble sleeping, read this
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that the CAMRA stuff is a database - they have put in a lot of time/effort to compile the data - so would be covered under the 'database rights' as well as copyright mentioned in skippy's post.

maybe we could do a poi set of pubs that serve real ale? this would be different from specific camra pubs and would require us to find the pubs ourselves (as opposed to getting a list from camra).

MaFt
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: CAMRA GBG 2008 POI Reply with quote

See: http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=280241

Find Good Beer Guide pubs using satellite navigation!

CAMRA is pleased to announce the launch of a Good Beer Guide Points of Interest (POI) file for satellite navigation systems.

The ‘GBG2008' POI file allows users of TomTom sat-nav systems to see the locations of all the 4,500-plus Good Beer Guide 2008 pubs up and down the country and plan routes to them. So, now, wherever you are, there is no excuse for not finding your nearest Good Beer Guide pub!

The file is simple to install and use and full instructions are provided. Priced at just £5.00, it is the perfect tool for any serious pub explorer. No more wasting time thumbing through road atlases or getting lost down country lanes. Navigate your way easily, every time, and make the most of Britain's best pubs.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMRA GBG 2008 POI Reply with quote

spile wrote:
See: http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=280241

Find Good Beer Guide pubs using satellite navigation!

CAMRA is pleased to announce the launch of a Good Beer Guide Points of Interest (POI) file for satellite navigation systems.

The ‘GBG2008' POI file allows users of TomTom sat-nav systems to see the locations of all the 4,500-plus Good Beer Guide 2008 pubs up and down the country and plan routes to them. So, now, wherever you are, there is no excuse for not finding your nearest Good Beer Guide pub!

The file is simple to install and use and full instructions are provided. Priced at just £5.00, it is the perfect tool for any serious pub explorer. No more wasting time thumbing through road atlases or getting lost down country lanes. Navigate your way easily, every time, and make the most of Britain's best pubs.

ohhhh come on camra guys, it's not hard to convert to garmin, navman etc formats!!!

there's more to satnav's than tomtom!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their download t&c's state:

'A number of fluid, changeable methods are in place where we can easily identify copied versions of GBG POI files.'

i recognise that... PGPSW subscription page:

A number of fluid, changeable methods are in place that allow us to easily identify copied versions of the Speed Camera Warning Database.

Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how topical is that?! I see from their news section that they announced it on 10 July

As PoiEdit can convert between TT (etc) and asc (etc), I might well lob out a fiver on this. I see also that the CAMRA POI page says "**POI files for other sat-nav systems are also planned, so please watch this space."

t&c wording suggests a CAMRA mole within PGPSW membership! Nice to see there are likeminded members. Still, if they've 'pirated' that wording...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
A number of fluid, changeable methods are in place where we can easily identify copied versions of GBG POI files.'

Call them up and tell them they owe you a pint! Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've actually been in touch with CAMRA who have apologised profusely about the wording of the terms and have now changed them.

they are in fact going to be offering other formats but wanted to get the ball rolling (so to speak) with the tomtom offering first.

for the price of 2 pints i'm sure it'd be worth it to find hundreds of even better pints :D get me a timmy taylor landlord anyday!

MaFt
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i've actually been in touch with CAMRA ...(SNIP)... they are in fact going to be offering other formats but wanted to get the ball rolling (so to speak) with the tomtom offering first. ...(SNIP)

Hi there. I'm the CAMRA volunteer who made the TomTom POI file. I'm hopefully going to have a chance to do other formats soon. It shouldn't be too difficult, as I've got all the data in a database and just need to write a script to output it in the correct format.

For those wondering, the Good Beer Guide POI is aimed to compliment the paper-based guide, not replace it.

Which formats do people think that I should make files for - Garmin is the obvious one. ViaMichelin aren't made any more, AFAIK. Navman? I need to seek the advice of people in the POI forum to find out more about the formats (please don't reply here as it'd be off-topic).

Cheers,

Alex.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
MaFt wrote:
A number of fluid, changeable methods are in place where we can easily identify copied versions of GBG POI files.'

Call them up and tell them they owe you a pint! Laughing

Sorry, only just spotted this thread. Hey, that'll be my pint, I wrote those terms!

Alex, has anyone PMd you with suggestions which units you should make the files for? The more the merrier I'd say!

I'm sure the community here would help you ensure the future accuracy of the database if PocketGPSWorld.com were allowed to give it to them to check for free Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: