Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Narrow Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Narrow Roads
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koyli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Narrow Roads -Tomtom Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have a look at the mio unit. A friend also told me that Pro Line now do a GPS that includes this feature. One would have thought the big cheese at tomtom would realise the importance of being able to select vehicle type. If only for the bad press they get....whenever you see an HGV stuck he has usually got a tomtom onboard

If the two aforementioned units can do it I don't see how tomtom can hide behind the cost banner given their "CURRENT" market share.

Koyli
Tomtom 730
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just returned from 2 weeks towing my caravan all over Yorkshire, I can confirm that you need to turn off I,Q routing as it takes you down some very unfriendly caravan routes.. Idea
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JaTe
I agree with you and your comments about Itinerary planning. In my opinion the ‘Itinerary’ option is the most important way of planning a route.
All my long journeys/holidays etc are planned on my computer (using ‘Tyre’) and the resulting itineraries saved. By doing so I know before I leave home that I will not be going down any narrow lanes.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried searching this site and others for POIs for narrow roads? maybe teh camping and caravan club has some? or its members? as andy says this is the sort of thing that gets in the news. a while ago taking my son to a football match (away game) TT tried to take me down a narrow grassy lane. i resisted and drove past it and was rerouted. The grass lane cut the corner round the 2 roads i has to travel. obviously TT assumed the lane was ok for 30 mph and hence fastest route, but it was safe for 15mph at best. these thinsg happen, teh maps have to be classed correcly, and the software needs to recongise the road class.

POIs for low bridges are around now, and for accident blackspots so maybe also for narrow roads? Getting them for foreign roads might be more difficult, but if youre a member of a caravan club, or internet forum, maybe the members can start building a POI set?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: