Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advice on GPS equipment for courier use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on GPS equipment for courier use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjolnir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: advice on GPS equipment for courier use Reply with quote

hi all. a big plea to everone for some (actually, a LOT) of advice regarding courier work.

i'm in the process of setting myself up as a courier, and therefore i'll need some advice on the kind of setup i'll need (car/navigation-wise). i was planning on getting a latop in the first place, but a friend suggested that this is impractical, since i wouldnt want to be lugging that around while delivering (nor would i leave it in the car for obvious reasons!). but i also need to phone/fax/send emails on the road as well (plus speed camera alert, i assume). after a brief look on the net, it seems the XDA 2 would solve most of my problems, but is there anything more... economical on the market?

can anyone help? is there anything i need to look out for? etc... thanks in advance

PS - if there are any advice on courier insurance, that would aslo be much appreciated!
mjolnir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, forgot to mention that i'm based in the UK
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a courier a few lifetimes ago.
There wasn't GPS then - just dog-eared and scribbled-on road atlases.
I would have loved the set-up I have now.
HP2210 in Covertec case
TomTom 2
Neils Thomsen's excellent Postcode program (Essential!)
Globalsat BT380 Blueooth GPS.
Car charger for both.
Coupled with a Bluetooth phone you can do E-Mail and internet.
I also have a WiFi card that is OK, but a bit temperamental (perhaps it is just me?)
For an in-car mount, I fold the Covertec cover right back, fasten the clip, and hang it from the rearview mirror. This still leaves half the mirror free and has the advantage of easy transferability from vehicle to vehicle. The GPS sits on a small bit of BluTak to stop it sliding about too much.
HTH
Roger
p.s. - Take your atlas with you - electronic thingies can go wrong!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ease of use I would personally suggest a Garmin Street Pilot or Navman iCN630. These will get you from A to B via several locations and give you most of what you want.

They won't do emails, fax or phone, the SPIII Deluxe comes in at around £629 and the Navman around £899. You can get the newer Street Pilot 2610 for just under £1000 with IR remote control and touch screen.

You could do all of this on a PDA, but you are restricted to a small screen and you will be restricted to tapping in mostly n the screen letter by letter, not great for long emails. There are keyboards available but some will stop you using the bottom sync port which in some cases will be needed to power the Pocket PC or give a GPS feed. Combining all of this technology into one device could leave you up the creek without a paddle if things start to go wrong, and if you're relying on it for business then I'd say go for a SPIII Deluxe and a cheap PDA like an iPAQ 2210 (providing you have a Bluetooth mobile phone).
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note onthe xda2 you can use a bt gps with it but were still waiting for the sorry a first rom update frfom o2

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mjolnir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can ne1 recommend a bluetooth phone then?
mires
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjolnir wrote:
can ne1 recommend a bluetooth phone then?

Siemens S55 Smile small, cheap and have everything you need and nothing you don't Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: