Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Microsoft update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Microsoft update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clearer my first post above is My desktop Intel 3.2mhz on XP, and last post My new Lappy 2mhz on Vista, and everything mentioned is running happily on My old Lappy which is Acer 1.8mhz, that is when I can get the wife off it playing card games.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outlook problem you are experiencing is not limited to Vista, I had the same when upgrading on a XP machine. I could not find a solution so reverted to Office 2003.
However I have done clean installs on XP and Vista machines at work and they went fine.

TBH the benefits of Vista outweigh the those of upgrading to Office 2007 and so would not ditch Vista as you suggest.
The layout is unfamiliar and the ribbon takes up too much screen IMHO. I even used an addon that replaces to ribbon with the old familiar menu bar, but still didn't get on with it.
The Office '03 SP3 update provides compatibility with '07 documents and so is fine for my needs.

If you really must use '07 try to start Outlook in safe mode (just Outlook, not full Windows safe mode). This will drop the plugings that are said to be the underlying issue.

RE Autocad. Are you installing as the system administrator?. Is your version of Autocad Vista compatible? - If not, upgrade or use the compatibility mode in Vista.

FWIW I too was on the brink of dumping Vista but I hung in, made a few adjustments and I am content. It does need plenty of resources to run so much eye candy, so I bunged in 4GB RAM just this morning.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mullet, apreciate your comments which probably reflect my own sentiments exactly, agreed on reverting back to 2003, i can not see any benefit whatsever apart from the fancy menu banners which do take a bit of getting used too but i try to keep uptodate and its a bit of a chore updating 3 machines at once, yes Autocad is vista compatible and i am not sure that is a vista problem as such, this morning i installed the previous version and thats ok so hopefully if i deinstall it may take out the rubbish and allow the later version to re-install.hopefully.
As said earlier i am having no problems at all on my two XP machines and would like to persevere with Vista, but first impressions it seems a little bit quirky and limiting and at the moment time consuming and after 2 weeks I have still not installed my fav programs yet into what i consider a fully workable machine.[/list]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Autocad are you using, I have AutoCad_2009 running quite happily on my main Vista PC?

I did also initially regret installing Vista when I built this PC, but given a little time to configure all the options to get rid of the stupid "do you really want to do this" type messages it used to throw up every time you did something and a few other annoying "features" I am more than happy with it. I also only use Office 2003, the newer version simply doesn't cut the mustard as far as I am concerned - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, it is 2009 i am trying to reinstall, it did originally run ok when first installed and as i said i am not sure that this is a vista problem a such , it maybe because it became corrupt around the same time as having the problems installing office 2007, I therefore believe that for some reason vista did not remove all files by not allowing acces to all folders and consequently stopping re-installing, today I installed 2008 which is fine and hopefully if i remove this will subsequently allow 2009 to be re-installed hopefully hence my feeling about Vista being restrictive.
The consensus appears to be that office 2007 is not a worthwhile improvement and i can only agree, the other thing i am finding with vista is that the re-incarnation of activesync offers less than activesync in that i cannot find a combine function for syncing only to gice one or other unit priority, because i am syncing two PDAs with 3 computers tis is not ideal. therefore i am trying to find out any information on Sync2 or Goodsync pro before purchasing one of these, If anybody has any comments on these or others it would be very much apreciated.
I also use 2009 electrical which both are running quite happily under xp but as of yet dare not install on vista to further compound problems.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 Have you looked on this forum about your issues. There could be something specific for you.

mikealder wrote:
..get rid of the stupid "do you really want to do this" type messages..

I agree, UAC, (user account control) the pain of this cannot be overstated when starting out. Apparently UAC will learn from your input, but takes a while. I disabled this early.

Straying further OT. The this site offers a comprehensive set of tweaks and tutorials here.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any information is apreciated, unfortunately expecting grandkids in a few mins for overnight (3 & 4yo boys) so may be a while before i can digest, but thanks anyway
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you may be under the cosh with the kids Laughing so did a little trawling for you.
The link I gave didn't come up with much in the search. However I did find a page elsewhere relating to a huge update/fix from Autodesk dated 16th July '08 that may be appropriate.

Check the readme to see the fixes.

The update link is here.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, done vista reinstall from recover disc, a new learning curve and outlook now also says cannot find dll file, yet its there and ive pasted into various directories in case it willl trip over it , reinstalled outlook 4 times and office diagnostics also keeps telling me its a microsoft problem but cannot offer fix, reinstall has cleared the rubbish out toenable reinstall Autocad so that workinf fine now, but will update as Mullet kindly found, I am still persevering but its a frustating time comsuming effort and i wish Microsoft would let go and give me some control of my own computer
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see if you actually tried to run Outlook in safe mode?

Like this
start/programs/ms office/(keep the ctrl key depressed and click the Outlook icon) keep ctrl pressed until asked, then hit the yes button.

This should allow Outlook to run by not loading the plug-ins and add-ons on start up.

Hopefully it will give you functionality until MS eventually release a fix.

Which specific .dll are you struggling with?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tried safe mode, its easier to list what not tried, dll is MSVCR80.DLL, A couple of odd things this dll does not appaer in my Xp installation and secondly on the last re-installation it did not ask for this and ran ok but then configeration started and after that refuses to run, excel and word both run fine, I will continue to pursue.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are five instances of that on my system. A full name search crashes explorer!
Bear in mind I am running Office 2003, the relevent path is
C:\SwSetup\Off12\US\HS07Office\Office.en-us.
No others seem to relate to Office.
A couple of articles may give some understanding.
here
here
and an error scan and fix?
here
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think its sorted?, i have already tried various reg cleaners etc and dont wish to buy any more, I have borrowed (for testing only) from a mate different editions of Office2007 and Vista ultimate (mine is home premium) re-installed other copy of office, same result, did a clean install of vista ult and my office result now appears to be working ok but did reconfigure each time on first two starts, so it would appaer that the problem lies with my recovery disc for the Acer, although it didnt show any signs whatsover of any problems when installing, so at least now i know where to look, dont know where i stand with acer on this, but will try and also relook at reinstalling this, but meanwhile still cant load machine up until satisfied, thanks everybody for suggestions and again we plod on.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last word-Sorted:
the last effort did not work, so reverted back to acer restore and my own office 2007 install still no result, so did a check on acer web site and found that MSN had a similar problem and they issued a patch for Acer edata security addin tried this and still didnt work, so removed Acer edata security addin and it works fine, still working after a week, so apoligies to MS (Dont know why) but if anybody else has problems with Vista/office look at at your suppliers S/W first.at the moment i am a happy bunny, but still have to sort out activsync or whatever to sync 3 PCs and 2 PDAs.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
sync 3 PCs and 2 PDAs.

Dont be put off by the language.

MobSync should achieve your aim. I only use this (v1.2xx) to sync the entire contents of the storage card. This makes the update of the speed cameras and other data simple, as well as the complete backup of my storage card whenever I connect.
The FAQ say it can sync ANY file or folder so sync your entire device.

When you set up the "job" there is flexibility to sync in 3 ways:-

1. PC and Device.
2. PC to Device.
3. Device to PC.

As you can see, there is enough flexibility for your needs.

The version I use is payware, version 0.94 is free but Google compatibility first.

Plan your strategy and create a series of "jobs" on all three PCs.

Be sure to backup everything as mistakes in this area are easy and costly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: