Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT Telephone exchanges POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT Telephone exchanges POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianj1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: BT Telephone exchanges POI's Reply with quote

Hi,

I was woundering if anyone has a POI list of all the BT telephone exchanges in the country? I've seen people with them on TOMOM's but i'm not sure if that is something that is already installed when it comes out of the box or something that is added after.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work for BT the file might be made available from your employer, if not then I am not too sure such a POI file would be easily obtained from third party sources - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also not something we would be happy to collate. For security reasons a publicly held POI of telephone exchanges could be a bad idea.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A POI does exist, not only for tomtom but for other units and you can download it from the BT intranet if you are employed by BT, there has been a POI made available from somewhere that I have been sent but it isn't very accurate and actually has some exchanges mapped that don't exist not to mention some slight inaccuracies. I made my own as and when I visited sites but I guess this one can be used as a guideline. Interestingly the graphic shows up as a red square and not the actual correct icon to on the one that is floated about.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tomo1340,

tomo1340 wrote:
Interestingly the graphic shows up as a red square and not the actual correct icon to on the one that is floated about.

Are your .BMP and .OV2 files named exactly the same?

You could try checking your .BMP file in Microsoft Paint to see whether it is a 22 x 22 bitmap file.

Is it currently a 24bit Bitmap, if it is firstly make a backup and then try reducing the colours by saving it as a 256 colour Bitmap instead.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't that fussed but I will give it a try tonight and see if I can utilize the icon for my own poi file. I've made them myself before, if I recall there was a little utility available that did all the work for you.

Edit: I have just re downloaded the files from the intranet and the icon works fine with no adjustment so I just renamed the bitmap to my own poi and over wrote it.
Looking on the site there is a poi set for tomtom, navman, garmin and magellan 3100. it doesn't say you can't share the poi files external to BT however there is a BT policy of keeping the information on their internal websites secure and rightly so. if any BT employee wants a copy then I would be happy to direct them to the intranet website where they are hosted.

Interestingly I don't find the file extremely accurate, I would imagine its compiled from a list of post codes. Good enough as a guide only but it would be advisable to correct them upon visiting or create a new set of PoIs as I did.
qclife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: also looking for a poi for BT exchanges :( Reply with quote

I see this topic is now quite old so has anyone got a reliable POI file for the TomTom start 25 ?
I work as a courier and we do quite a lot of work for BT and end up in all kinds of locations looking for BT exchange and pup sites and some of them are real hard to finde sometimes Sad and BT are not the most co operative company in the world LoL.
I know that they have poi's for most of their sites but I can seem to get any access to it myself Sad so if anyone does have the file handy any chance of pointing me in the right direction?
TIA
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's rather dangerous (or paranoid) world, I suspect the locations of important national infrastructure like telephone exchanges is probably rather sensitive information!

If you deal with BT regularily, you're probably in a better position to source them than the rest of us! Laughing
paulne99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF YOU WORK FOR BT GO ONTO INFORME AND LOOK FOR EXCHANGE FINDER IN A-Z THEN END TAB IS DOWNLOAD EXCHANGE POI FOR TOM TOM
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul.
Apart from the last three posts, this thread was mainly posted to in 2008 Shocked
And please stop shouting.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: