Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New POI Concept - POI Tasks?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New POI Concept - POI Tasks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: New POI Concept - POI Tasks? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has created software on WM6 for creating tasks based upon location instead of time. For example: Next time you go to/near the shops, you have to buy some toothpaste.

Next time your driving home from work and get gas at your usual station, don't forget to check the oil.

This little app would just site in the background and track your location and alert you when a specific POI is near.

When the task has been ticked off it is complete and doesn't annoy you again.

It would be great for people who like to do things in their own time and have bad memories.

Has anyone seen anything similar?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New POI Concept - POI Tasks? Reply with quote

joeonline wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has created software on WM6 for creating tasks based upon location instead of time. For example: Next time you go to/near the shops, you have to buy some toothpaste.

It would be great for people who like to do things in their own time and have bad memories.

Would they remember to add all the tasks with their bad memory Exclamation

Sounds like a lot of work just to position the some sort of poi on the gps to make this work. Which shop, which garage etc.

Think a post-it on the dash would work just as well.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very intersting concept. If I thought of it I would have looked at a patent. Too late now.....

Despite what the previous poster has said, I see some significant value in the idea. As far as I am aware, no one currently does it.

The idea of what a POI is and isn't has been discussed before. Currently a POI is a place. Often, what people want is a service or product. For instance - I need Nappies for my 1yo, and i am in a strange city, in a strange country. They don't even call them nappies, they call them diapers. In my country, I usually get them from a supermarket (POI search supermarket), but can usually get them at corner stores, dairy's and service stations. (POI search - Supermarkets, dairy's, service stations - can't be done on most systems), but not all of them sell Nappies, so filter the search results (Definitely not done on any system)- can you see the problem.

Another simple one - I borrwed a car fro a friend. Before returning it I wanted to give it a wash - I don't know the city, where do I go? In the end, although having a Satnav with me, I phoned around from the phone book asking if they had a carwash - the sat nav coulkd not help me, as I did not know where I wanted to go, I knew what I wanted..

Adding a task "Buy nappies" means next time I go out, they system can say "You need Nappies, and theres a shop right here taht does that"

All this is way beyond what any current technology can deliver, but it is where we need to be. Sat Navs are currently commoditiess- the Cellphone that does talk and texting. They need Apple to make an iNav.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an interesting concept...

the only thing i see with it is that tasks tend to have a 'deadline' or 'due date' so the user would need to make sure that they only put non-urgent 'tasks' into it.

for example - Mini-Mrs-MaFt needs some nappies from xxx shop. I'm driving about but don't pass that shop so i'm not reminded. Mrs-MaFt then kills me as there are no nappies at home...

it COULD be useful for something like a lottery ticket reminder - i.e. the system is set to alarm on wednesdays and saturdays before 6pm when you pass a newsagents POI. that way it's not matter of life and death like in the nappies case ;)

MaFt
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the cost of this get covered. It's easy - along your planed travel route will be a number of places that supply the "what you want/need" The one that pays the most for having his products/services in the list will be given priority, just like Google search results.

This combines location based services (LBS) and targeted advertising at it's questionable best. You can then extend this to provide even more "value add" - last time your were here you stopped to buy a lottery ticket. Do want to now....Hopefully it will stop nagging you (asking if you want) to buy nappies before Mr 1yo's 10th birthday Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: