Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen Protector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen Protector
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notmyname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Screen Protector Reply with quote

I have bought and fitted a Screen Protector to my SatMap and I wished I had thought of it before I took it out for the first time - "PlodinPedro" gave a couple of suppliers in an earlier post.

I went to http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk and bought their iPAQ Screen Protector (2200 / 2210 / 2215 [Product code 314]
Cost including VAT p&p was £7.67. You can see the product at this link
http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=314.

I comes with cleaning cloth and spatular, and it covers the visible screen area and according to the suppliers can be taken off, washed and refitted.

To my mind it reduces glare / reflection.

My thanks to P/Pedro regards Alan
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can buy 3 replacement Satmap screen covers for £15....so not sure what advantage the above has......

http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/product_info.php?cPath=34_36&products_id=3215
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p-brain wrote:
But you can buy 3 replacement Satmap screen covers for £15....so not sure what advantage the above has......
Both the outer cover and the inner main screen are soft and easily scratched. In addition, if the inner screen gets wet and is allowed to dry naturally, you can get puddle watermarks on it, which cannot be erased. Using a removable film protects both screens and if they are re-usable, you save in the long run.
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ic, so you are using the protector on the inner screen? That makes sense.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro

Can you confirm that you have successfully fitted and removed a screen protector form the inner screen?

I have been wanting to fit one for some time but have been reluctant to try given the comments about its unusually soft nature. Also if a screen protector film works, why have the hard cover over the top?
Satsync 1.525
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A screen protector guards against dust, grit and other minor scratches, the outer cover I imagine guards against more severe damage that could occur if dropped etc?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My early experience was that the inner screen stained from drying water and both inner and outer scratched easily from having rainwater wiped off them with gloves (when cycling in the rain.) I then discarded the outer cover and fitted a spare PDA film screen protector I had lying around. I renewed this once, after it had become a big dog-eared. I can't see any problem using them on the A10. In fact, as the screens are so delicate, I'd say it was foolish not to use a protector. Other posters have reported getting grit trapped between the outer and the inner and this then damaging the inner screen. As Darren says, the outer cover's main benefit is protection from knocks, etc. from dropping or banging the unit against things.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have now fitted a Jessops screen protector (actually the off cut of one I used for a camera) to the inner screen. My initial reaction is that it does result in a slight loss in visibility and I may up my normal viewing light from 60% but I will give it a try tomorrow and see how it gets on.
Satsync 1.525
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the A10 with internal screen protector and the usual outer screen cover (i.e. belt and braces) for about 5 hours today in some quite sunny conditions. This did cause me to up the brightness to 70% and on one occasion to hit the "full backlight" button but otherwise all seemed fine and I had a nice warm feeling about the safety of my screen.
Satsync 1.525
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view easily the most rugged screen protectors are those sold by

www.invisibleSHIELD.com

These are guaranteed for life. The material was devised to cover the leading edge of helicopter blades. I find the one sold for the HPiPAQ2215 covers the viewing area with a couple of millimetres to spare. They will also custom make them to your specification. I have had them on my Garmins for years and they have never peeled or shown any sign of wear. Postage is free to the UK from the US.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
In my view easily the most rugged screen protectors are those sold by
www.invisibleSHIELD.com

These are guaranteed for life. The material was devised to cover the leading edge of helicopter blades. I find the one sold for the HPiPAQ2215 covers the viewing area with a couple of millimetres to spare. They will also custom make them to your specification. I have had them on my Garmins for years and they have never peeled or shown any sign of wear. Postage is free to the UK from the US.
I've looked into this and according to their web site they are not suitable for 'soft screens' like those in inside of the SatMap device (also plasma, laptops etc..). So further advice may be required before fitting one on the internal screen of the SatMap.
They are an excellent product and I already use one on my TomTom
SatMap
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the question Fraserp has raised and the fact that I have put a screen film on the inner screen I asked SatMap if it was safe to do so. I also advised them that I would make the answer available to others who were interested.

They replied the same day with:
"I can see know reason why you are not able to put a protective cover on the screen. I know that many of our customers do already."

Now that is what I call good news and good service!
Satsync 1.525
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invisible Shield sell their screen protectors for iPods whose screen material is every bit as soft as the A10. What you have to be careful to do is not to put it on an lcd screen(these can even be damaged with a rubber vacuum sticker). Absolutely no harm will befall the outer perspex cover (I speak from experience) though I would not put it directly on the lcd display panel.

Incidentally, how do SatMap justify describing the unit as waterproof when it is anything but!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:

Incidentally, how do SatMap justify describing the unit as waterproof when it is anything but!

The unit is waterproof. Water will not get in to it and affect the electronics...including when using the buttons in the rain.

The screen protector is not sealed. It allows water (somehow!!) to get underneath it an on to the surface underneath it....but once there the water will not affect the unit electronically as that is waterproof. The outer covwer needs a very thin rubber seal underneath it so that the water doesn't affect the screen's surface...that's all.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the rubber strips not included with the replacement screens. It is possible to peel them off once and reuse them. After that the tackiness has gone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: