Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass error on latest version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass error on latest version
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DABurleigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Compass error on latest version Reply with quote

I have a 920T with the latest version of software installed, made available just the other day (where do you find an unambiguous version number to quote?).

The compass symbol is a very poor relation to what it was, with no options as far as I can see, and it is only accurate if I'm heading due north or due south! It has East and West the wrong way around!

Rather ironic bug for a company solely selling navigation products globally ..... Unless I'm missing something, can anyone explain how such software can be released. What testing gets done?

Dave
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The compass symbol is a very poor relation to what it was, with no options as far as I can see, and it is only accurate if I'm heading due north or due south! It has East and West the wrong way around!

I'm sure this has been covered before and it's not wrong. As it always points North like a real compass, when travelling East it'll point to the left (which looks like it's pointing to the West) because North is to your left when travelling East.

When travelling North it'll point up because North is in front of you and when travelling South it'll point down-wards because North is behind you, but when travelling East or West the needle appears to point the wrong way. You have to remember that it's pointing to where North is, not indicating which direction you are travelling in...
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Compass error on latest version Reply with quote

DABurleigh wrote:
I have a 920T with the latest version of software installed, made available just the other day (where do you find an unambiguous version number to quote

Tap the signal strength bars to get the version number. Tap that to get the full info.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compass pointer always points North but if you want more info it can be shown on the status bar by selecting direction in the prefs.
NA 2GB v8.45
DABurleigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I was tripped up by the reduced compass functionality in the latest version; presumably called a feature enhancement and progress by TomTom ......

Previously I had selected the graphical arrow showing heading, not direction of travel, and now the former is not an option. "Show lane images" is the menu option in place of "compass preferences", which makes the online manual pg 54 out-of-date:
http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/device/gox20/gox20-en-GB.pdf

And all the lane images menu item prompts me to do is spend more money with TomTom. I hope this isn't a trend with menu options :-(

Dave
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABurleigh wrote:

And all the lane images menu item prompts me to do is spend more money with TomTom. I hope this isn't a trend with menu options :-(

Would you like to enable traffic? :-)
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the compass. If those people who are complaining about its disappearance were given a map and compass, the vast majority probably wouldn't have a clue of where to start.

There is a 'Direction' option within the Status Bar preferences, which will display your heading in the status bar - bigger and clearer than the compass was.

Nevertheless, this is a personal preference and some might favour the horizontal status bar whilst others favour the vertical status bar etc
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

There is a 'Direction' option within the Status Bar preferences, which will display your heading in the status bar - bigger and clearer than the compass was.

Yeah but to use it means to give up another option on the status bar.

GPS_fan wrote:

Nevertheless, this is a personal preference and some might favour the horizontal status bar whilst others favour the vertical status bar etc

Can you clarify please? I know that Nav7.481 switched the satellite bars from vertical to horizontal. Does Nav 8 have a preference option that gives the user the choice of direction? Thanks.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
I know that Nav7.481 switched the satellite bars from vertical to horizontal. Does Nav 8 have a preference option that gives the user the choice of direction? Thanks.

You have the option to have the entire status bar horizontally or vertically.
And you can have the option of having just the satellite bar h or v, depending on how much data you're displaying next to it.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Can you clarify please? I know that Nav7.481 switched the satellite bars from vertical to horizontal. Does Nav 8 have a preference option that gives the user the choice of direction? Thanks.

With 7.481 and 8.010, there is a preference to have the status bar horizontal (across the bottom of the screen):

or vertical (down the right hand side):

Personally, I prefer the vertical option because of the layout of the map.

HOWEVER, what I've found since updating my map to v805 is that the Advanced Lane Guidance will only work with the horizontal status bar and the lane guidance arrows are not given in the vertical status bar. The only exception to this is when there is a full screen "Reality View" image of a particular junction.

There would, therefore, appear to be some benefits of having one preference selected although I wasn't aware of any such differences prior to ALG with v8 maps.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I was aware of the ability to show the status bar in either view but was getting confused (easily done, sadly Embarassed ) and starting to think the user could switch orientation of bars, regardless of orientation of status bar.

That IS an interesting observation, Andy, regarding ALG only seeming to appear in Horizontal view of the status bar. I'll file that info if others have issues with the ALG not showing.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
That IS an interesting observation, Andy, regarding ALG only seeming to appear in Horizontal view of the status bar. I'll file that info if others have issues with the ALG not showing.

I'll see if I can grab a couple of screen shots to demonstrate this
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a discussion of the Lane Assist/ Reallity view displays with the info bar set to either position in This Thread - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is what I've managed to get:

horizontal status bar:

vertical status bar:

As you can see, the horizontal status bar contains ALG arrows whereas the vertical status bar doesn't and the only preference which has been changed is the orientation of the status bar

edit: sorry, Mike, I was mid-flow when your post came in
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my preferred setting:

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: