Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disgruntled Navman owner thinking of moving to TomTom3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disgruntled Navman owner thinking of moving to TomTom3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkshiremark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Disgruntled Navman owner thinking of moving to TomTom3 Reply with quote

I have been an owner of the Navman 3450 for 7 months now and im really annoyed at the way Navman has treated its customers. Charging £139 for an upgrade its daylight robbery!!!

I like the features of the TomTom products but was wondering if anybody out there has also jumped ship and their thoughts on the tomtom products compared to Navman Smart St Pro.

Im thinking of going for the Navigator 3
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about switching to TomTom. However, as I have only had my Navman gear for six weeks I can't justify spending another £110 or so on Navigator 3 just yet! In any case, there is a possibility that the maps are no better than SmartST2 as they both use Tele Atlas. As the upgrade is not on general release yet only time will tell.

Yes TomTom has much better features, you only have to read through these forums to see evidence of that. And I know that SmartST has European coverage but considering the amount of time I expect to drive abroad, the V2 maps would suffice.

All I can say in summing up is that when future Navman upgrades are released, if they are priced more than current TomTom upgrade offerings then jumping ship will be a viable option.

I hope the people at Navman are taking heed. 'The ball' as they say 'is firmly in your court!'

De-ja-vue 8O
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both packages, and can say that both have their problems. One of the reasons I've stayed with Navman is because of the pan-euro coverage. And, you need to rid yourself of the word "upgrade." V2 is not an upgrade, it is a new release. There is a big difference. Service packs are an upgrade, but a new version is just that.

I do not think that paying £139 for FULL European coverage, and a few new features is unjustified. Granted, if you have only had the system for a couple of months, then I can understand why one would expect the new version at a discounted price, but if you've had the system for 6 months to a year, and you expect the new version to be free, then you're just being "silly." If you had problems at the beginning, you shold have returned it. When Windows ME was first shipped, I had HUGE problems with it. Microsoft promised service packs, which when released, made the system worse. Then, when Windows 2000 was released, I tried to get a free/discounted copy. Microsoft were very short in their answer (not a chance), and there was no room for arguement. The fact that Navman are willing to listen and consider providing a free version is a breath of fresh air.

At the end of the day, we are going to feel hard-done by at some stage. Companies cannot keep everyone happy all of the time, but so long as they can make up for it at some stage, and we're willing ot be patient, then everyone is going to win.
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are two seperate issues here.

The first is whether or not SmartST is a viable system or not - in my opinion the answer is yes, and with full European coverage it has many advantages. I accept that as with all software there will be others who prefer tomtom. Reading these forums over the past 18 months it seems that in general most people post when they've got a problem and the problems are fairly equally divided between both systems.

The upgrade cost is another matter and I remain convinced that Navman will have a change of plan, in particular if tomtom price aggressively and take market share. I'm sure the upgrade offer from V1 to V2 will be time limited but if there's little or no uptake will there be a change of policy I wonder? I'm not reading of major routing or map improvements so I'm assuming I'm really paying for some relatively minor tweaks - or is there a compelling reason I'm missing - apart from it being unlocked?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambitgander wrote:
you need to rid yourself of the word "upgrade." V2 is not an upgrade, it is a new release. There is a big difference. Service packs are an upgrade, but a new version is just that.

It would appear that TomTom consider their new version 3 to be an 'upgrade'!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 3 is a new release - to which you can upgrade from Navigator 2.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put this thread to bed...

What I failed to add in my above post was "to registered users of the previous release at a discount."
Quote:
TomTom Navigator 3 is a new release - to which you can upgrade from Navigator 2.

Yes, that is absolutely 100% correct, but I believe what yorkshiremark was saying (and me in response) was that TomTom are allowing registered users of TTNv2 to upgrade to TTNv3 at a reduced price, however Navman were expecting their registered users of version 1 to pay full price (with the exception of some customers who had recently purchased v1 and negotiated a free upgrade).
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE read my posts in the "Navigator 3 places not in database" thread.

I used a VDO dedicated SatNav system FOR ONE DAY ONLY prior to getting the TT3/PDA package I bought so I'm an absolute beginner.

TT3 has disappointed me beyond belief. It actually would appear TT2 was better!!! WEll at least in so much that it had towns with populations exceeding 50,000 in its database. Not being able to put in the town name of the place you want to go to but instead having to put in a postcode or county and pick from a list of streets with the same name is ridiculous. FYI at least two of the towns completely missing in the database are seaside resorts.

It looks like I'm going to Mapopolis. The software is free, you pay for the maps but you can download timelimited demos. Give it a try.
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been demoing the Mapopolis app during the last week and have been very impressed.

It is extremely stable - hasn't crashed once yet. Has a very responsive interface with lots of user configurable options and offers good value for money - all European maps for around £70. It can also handle long/lat searches so I can finally start doing some Geocache walks with the kids.

Some negatives are: The graphics arn't as 'pretty' - although IMO there is a lot more useful info displayed. The way it handles the county maps and also the population limitation of open maps may frustrate users that regularly travel long distances.

Rgds,
Mick.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: