Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Database for iPhone GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Database for iPhone GPS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Camera Database for iPhone GPS? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Never one to jump the gun (!), I was just wondering if PGPSW have evaluated how they might support any potential iPhone-based navigation systems (hopefully TomTom)...

If my understanding is correct, it won't be possible to provide a conduit to enable the installation of 3rd party content (ie. POIs) - although there's precedent in sychronising mp3s etc (though this remains firmly in the Apple domain).

If I'm right, that leaves the Apple Store for distribution... Which would involve a cut of proceeds going to Apple, and potentially a reluctance to support such frequent updates as we are used to.

Has anyone (ie. Darren!) evaluated any of this? I don't consider TomTom as a viable navigation solution any more unless I get speed cameras, and I'd hate to move to the iPhone platform without them.

Obviously, this is all academic at the moment as we don't have any confirmed app. code (or indeed the device itself!) but I wanted to provoke a discussion. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on the case already and are evaluating our options. We'll also be securing a few 3G iPhones for development.

Obviously the exact solution is all hanging upon what exactly Apple have planned in this regard but if we can develop for it we will. We have also been looking at some standalone apps which we'll make available via the Appstore.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
...some standalone apps which we'll make available via the Appstore.

Ooooh! Do tell - s'ok, I won't tell anyone else, it'll just be our little secret! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is all early development stuff. Unlike other apps, the GPs functionality has been closely guarded and we have still to establish what conditions or indeed if Apple will allow third party usage of the GPS APIs.

We certainly won't be in a position to release on Jul 9th!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We certainly won't be in a position to release on Jul 9th!

S'ok, take two extra days - then you can release the same day as the new iPhone - July 11th! Laughing
davast
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I am very interested in the new 3G IPhone now it will have gps as standard. But like bedbug, I couldn't have a satnav system without the PGPSW speed camera database. I would welcome any news on this front, once IPhone is released.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

S'ok, take two extra days - then you can release the same day as the new iPhone - July 11th! Laughing

O2 now confirming this by email with a link to their site showing Tarrifs
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email received inviting pre order 07:36

Checked O2 site, sold out 15:39

Wonder if it will catch on?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd sold out of pre-order about two hours after the email's were sent! I understand that there will be more stock in-store on the launch day but as I was after a PAYG and they aren't being released yet it's moot Sad
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
...I understand that there will be more stock in-store on the launch day...

O2 are now warning of "weeks long delays" in retail availability, both for O2 and Carphone Warehouse. The Apple UK website details those two as the only retail outlets; presumably it isn't going to be available through Apple Retail outlets in the UK as a purchase needs retailer-based account activation (to try to prevent further jailbreaking now that the telecos are subsidising the device) and Apple UK retail don't have the capacity to undertake this.

On an even more depressing note, David Pogue in the New York Times review of the device suggests that Apple themselves have acknowledged that GPS functionality is limited:

Quote:
Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do with the G.P.S. According to Apple, the iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example.

Instead, all it can do at this point is track your position as you drive along, representing you as a blue dot sliding along the roads of the map. Even then, the metal of a car or the buildings of Manhattan are often enough to block the iPhone’s view of the sky, leaving it just as confused as you are.
Here

So, as I have said previously elsewhere, it might be worth waiting until after the launch to see the truth beyond Job's famed 'reality distortion field'!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the buildings of Manhattan are often enough to block the iPhone’s view of the sky
Pretty much the same as SiRF III in my experience.
A few early reviews are starting to drift in, but better to wait until the general public and techies do the assessment IMHO.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Pretty much the same as SiRF III in my experience.

It was the 'metal of a car' comment that caught my attention! Shocked
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one of these babies, due for delivery tomorrow morning Very Happy
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
I've ordered one of these babies, due for delivery tomorrow morning Very Happy

Love to hear your evaluation in due course.

BTW I just read a well known team have already unlocked and jailbroken the new v2 and released the necessaries Shocked

Edit: A more in depth Review.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed an initial summary of the device. Click here for the article. My initial impressions are that it is a great device, but need a lot of software development. The apps in the app store are a little disappointing at the moment.

The GPS chipset is a Global Locate Hammerhead II from reports I have heard which has a sensitivity of -160dBm and has the benefit of AGPS so it can get the sat position data from the mobile network.

O2 signal is a little weak where I am but the data throughput seems to be OK. I like the transparent switch from WiFi to 3G when leaving home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: