Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S90i or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S90i or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scallywag4015
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Navman S90i or not? Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to this!

I am about to buy a Navman S90i. Do I go ahead or not? I have never had a Sat Nav before but want it for travelling round UK & also Spain and like the idea of the text to speech. After reading some of your posts, don't know whether to go ahead or buy a TomTom or Garmin instead. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are planning on using our speed camera database then i'd think very carefully. the navman s-range have a poi limit of 12,000. the uk camera database is just over 13,000 then add to that the european cameras and you start to see there's a major problem with it...

if you're not bothered about poi's / speed cameras then from what i understand, as a standalone navigator they're meant to be wuite good - i've not used one though

MaFt
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the S90i since November 2007, and although I said previously I wouldn't have another Navman, due to the dismal support, I relented after seeing just as many complaints on other brands etc. Poor support appears to be part of the personal navigation industry.

Being in Australia, I have used the S90i both here and in Europe, and must say that I am more than pleased with the product itself. I find the unit far simpler to use than my previous PiN300 and there are only a few issues that I consider would make it a better unit. Not with-standing that statement, I doubt if every unit, regardless of brand, didn't have some features that one would like included, modified etc.

As far as POI's are concerned, the 12000 limit is of no concern to me. I try to keep lawful so safety / red light cameras POIs are rarely used, and this is generally where most complaints arise with the Navman series. I purchased my S90i as a navigation device, not an alert against speeding red lights etc.

Best Regards,
Denis Green
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: S90i Reply with quote

No! Stick to TomTom.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an in-depth and comprehensive review here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67223

--

Cheers

Dave
scallywag4015
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave
Many thanks for your reply and the link to your review. Think I'll have a rethink and maybe go for a Tomtom or Garmin. Any suggestions? Liked the idea of the S90i because of the 'text to speech' but put off after reading about all the glitches.

PS We Yorkshire folk aren't all bad!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unsure as to which manufacturer to go for I would suggest a trip to your local Halfords (or similar) and try the different devices first hand.
Both the manufacturers you mention supply decent units and they have models that perform the Text To Speech function you desire, but this comes down to personal preferences at the end of the day. Give a few devices a try depending upon your budget then ask questions about any points you are unsure about for any of the devices you are considering on the forum rather than in the shop, you will get a better answer this way. - Mike

PS I have decided to move this thread to the beginners section as it will attract a better audience when looking for views on more than one manufacturer.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scallywag4015 wrote:
Hi Dave
Many thanks for your reply and the link to your review. Think I'll have a rethink and maybe go for a Tomtom or Garmin. Any suggestions? Liked the idea of the S90i because of the 'text to speech' but put off after reading about all the glitches.

Well having ditched my own S90i (and gone back to a four-year-old Navigon unit), I've got my ear to the ground for Navigon's new 8110 model, which sounds very good... but will cost somewhere in the region of £350.

But don't dismiss the S90i entirely - yes it's certainly got its problems and shortcomings but if you can pick one up for around £150, it's a bargain (which, as a Yorkshireman, I'm sure you'll appreciate Not Worthy ) ... it simply isn't worth anything like the original £300 asking price.

scallywag4015 wrote:

PS We Yorkshire folk aren't all bad!

I gave somebody directions to Yorkshire once.... I've never seen them since. Taunt

--

Cheers,

Dave
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried an S90 out in the shop the other day (I was in an airport departure lounge with a hour to kill) and was quite un-impressed. maybe this one had had too many things done to it the wrong way, but it's user interface was slow. I tried adding an avoid area or two, the touch screen was taking seconds to respond. Then I tried a few other things, with similar results.

Maybe a soft reset would have fixed it. I think I would go elsewhere, as if the display model is broken, why would the out of the box one be any better.

Apart from the performance, I was resoanably impressed. A few UI quirkes that would become acceptable with practice and use.
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scally, I was in a similar postition a month ago, trying to figure out which to get from S90i, Garmin 255TW, Sony nu93T and TT XL Europe.

In the end I got the iPAQ 314! I missed it off list because of the -ve reviews on release. Altho its release version gets loads of -ve press, it seems HP have pulled all the stops out to rectify the issues and it is now on par with the others. Some points that swayed me:

Before I bought it:
Price (£90 after £30 cash back from HP)
Number of POI
TTS (Lots of -ve press but has been resolved)
Ability to be used for photo, video and music playback (better than the 1.5 inch screen on back of camera)
Has Speed cameras, allows quick addition of cameras too.
Covers western europe

Since buying it
Speed
Ability to add info to speed cameras (like direction of camera etc)
Lane info
3d rendering of road layouts (eg flyovers flyover!)
Resolution (800x480) very clear bright screen

Bad points
Dont like the info bars but these can be customised or there is a full screen mode and this is only a personal preference

The main thing was its cost per feature, it may not be a class leader but its certainly no longer the bottom of the class.

Hope this helps[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: