Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC reception in the North East
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC reception in the North East

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yehudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: TMC reception in the North East Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anyone know which transmitters in the North East are transmitting TMC? My TomTom works fine in Leeds but gets nothing up here - Darlington. Even putting in my local Classic FM frequency manually 101.6 produces no results.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have a read through FAQ #9 which can be found by clicking Here it is a little out of date but will explain how to use the POI file I have sent to you on the device in order to work out the best frequency relative to location.
If the rain doesn't stop I might even edit the RDS-TMC guide to bring it up to date later today, most of it is still OK, just the way certain information is no longer displayed on the device - Mike
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: TMC Up North Reply with quote

Hi there

I am not an expert on TMC but I know that the two nearest here near Newcastle are

(a) On the A69 at Newton

(b) There is another one In Fenham Newcastle.

Jerrry
yehudi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Many thanks for your help. I've loaded your file into my TT & now know where my nearest TXs are. However, even manual tuning produces no better result. Looks like I'm stuck with no reception up here.
I knew there was a good reason to work in West Yorkshire!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the aerial wire is at least 5CM away from the edge of your windscreen, there are other ways to increase signal reception by connecting the aerial wire to the car aerial or even a dedicated aerial on the outside of the vehicle. These home made work arounds are covered in some detail in a number of posts within the forum.

What car is it you have the device fitted in, some have heat reflective windscreens (athermic glass) which attenuates the RF signal very effectively.

I have also found the device takes a while to lock on to the signal when first used, once it has found the correct signal frequency subsequent lock on times are much faster (the device stores the last know frequency that it used in one of the files on the unit) - Mike
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live and work in the newcastle area and did get patchy reception with the original RDS-TMC cable and version 7 tomtom software. But recently i upgraded (legally) to the version 8 tomtom software and got the most up to date RDS-TMC cable and now have NO issues around newcastle/gateshead and up north to Amble! Any questions feel free to respond in this forum and i`ll gladly give you any advice you need!

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: