Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Re register tomtom 730 or open new account
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Re register tomtom 730 or open new account

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re register tomtom 730 or open new account Reply with quote

i am now on my third tomtom 730 first one worked great but after upgrade to version 8.05 maps under the lmg it locked saying activation failed this is not correct activation code, the device code had been changed by tomtom support as this replaced a 920 within the 6 month rule, after this incident although i had backed up via windows could not reinstall as device was no longer shown in my computer so it went back the replacement had another device change by tomtom support but this one turned out to have a faulty microphone so has again been changed and i am now in possession of my third device. my question is regarding registering the new device would it be better to register it under my sons details as he does use it so that a new account has been set up or to send in my receipt and get device registered again to my account, reason i ask is that somewhere i read that it seems to run smoother if the device is registered under new account and email but i cannot find this thread, any advice appreciated and i hope i have put this in the correct forum
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly - registering under a new account will have ZERO bearing on how fast your actual tomTom unit itself runs, so put that notion to bed before you decide what you want to do.

Next up, if you do not have any optional PLUS services on any of your accounts, you can register as many new accounts as you like, to save waiting for a manual Device ID activation.

Next next up, is that if you want to use a new account with an email address you prefer but already are using, then you can simply go into an EXISTING account, change the email address to something else, even made up perhaps if you want...

Then this will 'free up' the email address you were using, for it to be selected as your email address, when creating a NEW account.

Final next up, if you ever have a Device ID assigned to an account, weirdly, this DOES NOT stop you also adding the same device ID to a NEW account as well - that is, add it TWICE.

I know this as my device ID needed to be manually assigned. But even then, when done, the LMG update failed with an invalid map activation code error.

I was advised by members just to create a new account, and add my device to that - which it LET ME.

Then I was able to download AND install the new map fine.

And THEN, simply revert back to my original account in TomTom Home, and connect my device to the ORIGINAL account, and it worked fine.

Hope these points both answer your question, AND give you scope for future issues that might arise too.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr got it completely right. I had similar situation to your, faulty device replaced, device code manually assigned by tomtom staff, map downloaded but not activated.

now the best thing to do is to login via your web browser to your current account, changed your personal details and email address to something completely bogus... and forget about it.

run tomtom home, connect the device and create completely new account with your current device, so the device code will be assigned automatically via home.

at the moment tomtom staff tweaking with device id = map activation error

and no need to worry you can register as many account with the same device id as you like..
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: thanks for help Reply with quote

thanks for the advice hope i am not being thick but do i understand rightly that i go into my account change email etc and then re register a new email address and still use my own name and address or am i missing something. also i do understand tom tom are concerned about theft of maps but this seems too many hoops to jump through when nothing that has happened is my fault. all the same many thanks, great forum
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for help Reply with quote

If you want to use the email address already assigned to your existing TomTom account, yes, do this:

1) Log in to existing TomTom account on the web.

2) Change Email address to something else, even bogus.

3) Create a NEW TomTom user account online (yes, using your same name etc - you can do this as for as many accounts as you like mate, use the same name that is).

4) Use the email address you WERE originally using, but have now 'freed up' by changing it before on the 'old' account.

And then log in to TomTom Home on the pc, using the NEW TomTom Account details you just created.

Connect your device, and voila - let it assign it, and then your good to go.

Hope that summarises it. Thanks to kichu himself, for the original input he gave me on this.
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed emails and sucessfully aligned my TT730 now. However, I'm subscribed to traffic until September. How do I reactivate it?
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sorted it. I just reset the account then used the old account with new email address and did it via the device amending my account. Seemed to work, but it might have been something I did right but didn't really know how!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: