Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup of SD maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup of SD maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p-brain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Backup of SD maps Reply with quote

Hi, In the 'troubleshooting and tips' section of the user guide, it suggests that you make up a backup copy of any SD maps you buy just in case you lose the SD card. However, it then goes on to say that you won't be able to copy the map to another card.

So my question is: If my SD map is lost or damaged, and I have a backup on my PC....how do I then copy it to another SD card to use on the Satmap?!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't....another of those pre-purchase statements that wasn't quite accurate! Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps SatMap can activate the map on to a different card if you have the original map data, this is more applicable to the custom maps though which are specific to each user - Mike
ItsGettingDark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to Satmap (very helpful). If your SD memory is corrupted for whatever reason you can re-format it (FAT32, etc). The reformatting process does not effect the certificate information used to licence the card and content. Assuming you have backed up your electronic maps to your PC using SatSYNC you can then restore your mapping to the original (reformatted) SD card.

If the SD is physically damaged ring Satmap and they will send you out a new licenced SD card. Sat map record this transacton on their database - apparently you are entiled to one replacement -not sure if that is per original map purchase or in general. I believe you then have to restore your original maps using SatSYNC (not sure if they supply preloaded SD card replacements).

You can now send your origianl mapping SD cards back to Satmap and they will put them all on one high capacity card. Satmap mentioned a charge of £15 - you may need to ring them. They will transfer all your content on to one card and then return everything to you via post. You even get your original SD cards back - completely wiped of course Sad

Great Post Sales service - thanks Jason...
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing up a half GB card using SatSync takes about 5 hours, compared with about ten minutes via a card reader. Both methods create files of exactly the same size, though I can't be certain that they are identical. Does anyone have a tool to check if they are truly identical?

I am confused, because SatSync does not back up the licence which is also on the card. I would have expected that to be vital in a recovery situation. Neither does it back up the XML document file (whatever that is) which is created after first use.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backup will be the same, but as you have found it is far easier to use a card reader for this. In any event you can only recover the mapping software to the original card it was supplied on, the SD card contains a secure ID tag that the map is locked to, putting the map on a different card will not work unless SatMap supply the activation key required - Mike
ItsGettingDark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transfer speed from the GPS to your PC is dreadful (1.2Mbps). The interface is supposed to use a USB 2 driver but I'm not convinced. The xfer speed is more like USB 1.1. I have mentioned this to Satmap. Fortunately this is not something you are always using. If it bothers you use a card reader.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: