Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New speed camera warning announcements.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New speed camera warning announcements.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: New speed camera warning announcements. Reply with quote

A while ago I downloaded some sound files from here which are great but I feel they're a bit too long.

I find it frustrating to have to listen to "Warning Gatso ahead, speed limit fifty miles per hour" played five or six times at me as I'm approaching the camera under the speed limit. I appreciate it's a limitation of the Garmin firmware that means it happens but I want to use Ash's software and as far as I've been able to work out, due to the way the Garmin handles the files there's little I can do to get around the problem.

So I created a new set of files and I've been using them for a few days. They consist of simple warnings with just the essential details contained, type and speed. The above warning is shortened to "Gatso, fifty".

The files are also already in .mp3 format and the filenames are correct for the Speed Zoned database. No converting or renaming to do.

You can download the files by clicking here.

I'd appreciate any feedback from them, whether you feel they're useful or not.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, nice one! i'll give these a try!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feekus, would you mind if we add host them and these to the sound file pages with a suitable credit to you?
Kolster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Like to give these a try, but not quite sure about how to load them, do you put them in the same as the speed cameras, and as I'm using a Nuvi350 with the Emily TTS voice, would there be a problem here?
Thanks
John
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Feekus, would you mind if we add host them and these to the sound file pages with a suitable credit to you?

No problem with that, but please wait until I've made some modifications - I went on a longer journey today and it was quite obvious that I need to increase the volume on them as they're not loud enough. I'll adjust them this evening and relink them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll await your update Smile
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolster wrote:
Hi,
Like to give these a try, but not quite sure about how to load them, do you put them in the same as the speed cameras, and as I'm using a Nuvi350 with the Emily TTS voice, would there be a problem here?
Thanks
John

Feekus has got them all named correctly so you should copy them into the same folder that you have the PGPSW safety camera database in and run POILoader to recreate the POI.GPI file. It does not affect the navigation voice you use. You will need the speed-zoned cameras for these to work.

If all you have at present are the inferior (IMHO!) GARMIN CYCLOPS cameras - then these voices will not work.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, it seems wrong to see myself addressed as "Feekus". For over 20 years I've been called Feek but someone registered it here back in 2006 and made one post Sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Feek!

I haven't actually tried your voices out yet just taken a copy today, so I don't know how they sound. A while go I took the TomTom Liz Whittaker warning voices and converted those for my nuvi ( I used to run TT Nav with them).

I found I had to set the levels to about 50% of the original for them to be sort of correct with my nuvi using TTS voices. I have the unit connected to the radio via the 3.5mm socket. It used to make me jump when the warnings came. I have them set about right at present. Looking at your waveforms it looks as if these will be a little quiet except for the start which is above 50% for the majority of them. Probably no bad thing - grabs the attention.

I'll see how yours sound and if necessary run then through the batch processing in Sound Forge at home. Otherwise I may edit the Liz W sounds to be shorter and punchier - never thought of it before - even though I had to create a catch all mobile clip for the pmobiles by editing one of the original clips.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, if you or anyone else has gone to the trouble of converting the files we already host into Garmin compatible formats, I'd be happy to host them and add them to the download page for the benefit of other Garmin users?
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I also had to tweak the Liz sounds down in volume because I absolutely jumped out of my skin the first time I used them! I do think they need to be louder than the navigation sounds so as to draw ones attention to them but they were far too loud to start with and needed a fair bit of attenuation to be usable.

My original plan was to edit them down to just the essential information but found that she strings the words together a fair bit and I couldn't get clean edits after the speed callout which is why I went for a new set.

Having created the set once and having got the master recordings it won't take me long to re-edit them with some amplification.

Back later this evening if all (read 'wife') goes well Smile
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quicker than expected - I didn't need to redo them from scratch but just applied some normalising to the existing files to boost and average out the levels a bit. They are slightly louder than before but to my ears they sound a lot more punchy and although I've not been able to try them in the car yet I think they'll sound a lot better now. I shall report back for sure tomorrow.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

The files have been uploaded again using the same link as in my original post so feel free to grab them again. You'll know you've got the correct set as the datestamp on them all is today and the readme has an incremented version number (1.1).
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Feek

Feekus wrote:
For over 20 years I've been called Feek but someone registered it here back in 2006 and made one post Sad

If you have a quiet word with Darren and ask him to investigate the Feek user. If the Feek user is inactive and if Darren is in a very good mood then he might do some magic! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
If you have a quiet word with Darren and ask him to investigate the Feek user. If the Feek user is inactive and if Darren is in a very good mood then he might do some magic! Thumbs Up

Coincidentally I did PM Feekus on that very subject earlier today but have had no reply.

Feekus, did you receive the PM?
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the PM earlier - Replied... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: