Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3.01 (409/2) Update available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3.01 (409/2) Update available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickmay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Is it WAAS - enabled? Reply with quote

I had heard that Europe was getting its own GPS system but I had thought it was years away.

I read the following in a copy of Country Walking magazine:-

"Do buy a WAAS-enabled GPS if you want the five times better accuracy that the European EGNOS system will give us, when it goes live this spring. Non WAAS GPS units cannot be upgraded"

Has "Country Walking" magazine got it confused or have they got one step ahead by walking rather than driving? Rolling Eyes
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think WAAS is available in the UK yet. Since selective availability was turned off a few years back, there's probably less need for it now anyway. My satnav system knows which side of the road I'm on, I don't feel I need any more accuracy than that Smile
http://gpsinformation.net/exe/waas.html

Dave.
Mickmay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the TomTom bluetooth receiver and/or software are compatible?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFIAK, TTN3 is available and has been ever since TomTom updated their website. So I'm not sure why there are lots of comments above with things like "hasn't even been released yet". The only thing that isn't released is the page that lets version 2 users upgrade to version 3. But you can buy version 3 now from TomTom or most other GPS suppliers linked to from this site.

> I don't think WAAS is available in the UK yet

In the UK it's called "EGNOS" and is currently in testing with a limited number of test signals. You can enable it if you have (for example) an Emtac GPS and a copy of Crux View. At the moment, the signals are labelled as test signals - so most GPSs will ignore the signals by default. This isn't related to "Europe's own GPS system" - EGNOS and WAAS are just correctional systems for the existing GPS system.

Nick...
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my new GPS system on Saturday last (27th March 2004) and included TTN3 - all worked beautifully. On the Sunday (28th) I saw on this website an announcement of the update and so downloaded and installed it. I went for a short (5 miles or so) journey to try it out, and, lets be honest have a play with my new toy! The system started off normally but within a mile had halted and just showed on screen my last mileage speed, no more movement or instructions. I closed the software and reopened it and we were off again, but again after a mile or so the system froze, in fact on the 5 mile journey it froze about 3 or 4 times. I returned home and uninstalled TT3 completely and then re installed it from the CD (this time without the update and all works wonderfully again.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have TT3 with an Ipaq 2210 and Fortuna clip On - I don't like the idea that I cannot have later developments, yet do not want to mess around forever restarting the system to get a few more miles. Is it just me or what?

Steve Gillen
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What memory card do you have, SD or CF? And if SD what manufacturer?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mitekmedia 128Mb SD card - but I can't see as to how that would influence the update as I only have the maps on there and not the programme (therefore not the update either) and the maps work fine without the update - so I am still somewhat puzzled
chrisloco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem as Steve, and I'm using an SD SanDisk 256MB card if that helps.

My problem only started after I installed the upgrade.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAAS will not give you any better accuracy when driving.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

It's strange that it works without the update, but not with. The symptoms you describe are very indicative of not being able to read the map data, which then translates to the question of the SD Card.

If you had another card or could borrow a friends then you could check if the problem exists with that one too. It may just be an issue with reading a particular part of the data which is part of the journey, but the data for your home location is OK. Does going on the journey without the update have the same problems?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no problems whatsoever without the update - all works sweetly and accurately, for me this would seem to be a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

It does what I bought it to do and not when I update so why should I bother?

Cheers

Steve
chrisloco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I did exactly the same as you - removed the update last night and installed from the disk - and today TT has been running perfectly all day.

Seems the update did not like our machines.

Think I will stay on 3.00 until I see a tangiable reason to change. Right now I'm happy.
redcap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to do the same: complete uninstall of TT 3.01 an reinstall of the original TT3, and problems were gone.

Fyi: Ipaq 2210, ROM version 1.10
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems the update some how makes the gps driver freeze the up date works fine with a cf gps but is stuffed with bt using the update see my post in this forum how got it play ball good luck this bt stuff give a headache Confused Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

I can't find you post about how you fixed this problem - can you repost here please??

Many Thanks

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: