Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One V3 Windscreen Holder issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One V3 Windscreen Holder issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chajun wrote:
"And is the mount on the 3rd Edition really that bad?"

Yes it is it's dire. So far mine has been replaced twice with another on it's way. The reason is there is no lever to expell air between the glass and the unit. You have to plop it on and hope for the best. Even the cheap and cheerful Binatone has a proper mount.

OK, thanks for that.

I have a spare alternative mount kit for the earlier GO devices and others but that may not be compatible I guess. So I really should budget for a decent mount as well. Or probably 2 or 3 before we find one that 'Management' will be happy with (but never uses).

That means that if the 4th Edition mount is better a does not require an upgrade the price differential is almost eroded ...

Any views on the pros and cons between the 3rd Edition and the 4th edition? I'm not up to speed on the latest developments so likely to miss the subtleties in the specs.

Grant
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just TRY the normal mount first for a while, before you start thinking of spending any more money.

As I said above, my mount (720 admittedly, but it's the same sucker design) worked absolutely fine for nearly a year, but for some reason had a phase of falling off a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I should try washing the windscreen once in a while!
grantp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I would just TRY the normal mount first for a while, before you start thinking of spending any more money.

Hi Andy,

Yeah, I would do the same if it was for me but as it isn't any awkwardness or fitting failure will bring me a load of grief that I would prefer to avoid if at all possible! Sad

Double jeopardy if I suddenly blurt out that 'it's not the latest one anyway' an error!

On the other hand the 4th Edition mount looks like it could be a problem on a very sloping windscreen in that it appears to leave the unit near the glass and a long way from the user. So dash mounting may be necessary and that might not go down too well either.

Maybe I should simply not bother to get one at all? I'm thinking of it as a birthday gift. A box of chocolates might be safer ... Wink

Anyone played with a 4th edition mount?

Grant
Cheffrey23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Tomtom Mount Reply with quote

Hey guys, i've found that with the mount, a good way to make it stick properly is:

a) get a alcohol swab from the chemist and wipe the mount suction part and the window where you stick it, then stick the mount with the tab part sticking to the window first.

b) use a general house hold cleaner to do the same thing.

i've noticed that when mounting it like this it also sticks a lot better, and i've actually moved some glass around the house using my mount as the main suction!
Cheffrey23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, i've noticed that cleaning the mount with either a alcohol swap or general cleaner from the house works wonders, also by mounting the mount with the tab part touching first onto the window, the mount sticks a lot better and i've often found it hard to get it off! also as you said, cleaning your window every now and again helps as well Smile
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really shouldn't have to resort to all of this. I used to have both a Garmin and a Navman neither had any problems1 Just TT cheap and their not so cheerful holders.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: