Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - After one month - is the Satmap Active 10 a good buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

After one month - is the Satmap Active 10 a good buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly need to be able to twist the Colorado around to read the screen. It has higher resolution than the 60CSx but is harder to read in bright sunlight. The Active 10 (with backlight on) is clearer than the 60CSx with no backlighting and possibly even clearer than the Colorado with backlighting.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Before I purchased the Satmap I had the Garmin 76CSx. I agree that the Satmap with backlight on was generally more readable (except in very bright sunlight) but the point is that the Garmin units don't need a backlight at all unless it is dark.

I now have a Garmin Legend HCx with the Topo GB software. The Topo GB software is quite poor. It shows maybe 10% of rights of way and generally shows much less detail than even OS 50K maps. Yes - I do miss the full 25K OS maps of the Satmap.

I might go back to the Satmap if the hardware was improved. I could live with the occasional lockup but the battery life, screen scratching and lack of an ON/OFF switch just about finished it for me.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
... The Active 10 (with backlight on) is clearer than the 60CSx with no backlighting ...
Interesting how different people have different perceptions - I would have said that my 60CSx is clearer (without backlight) than my A10 (with backlight) but it has to be allowed that the map detail on the A10, being much more detailed than the rudimentary Garmin map, probably means you're not really comparing like with like. Certainly it seems to me that the A10 on 80% backlight is not easy to read in medium+ daylight; I find it quite maddening that as soon as we get the longer battery life granted with the "Advanced Power Setting" we are mandatorily restricted to 80% backlight. The option to further conserve power could easily have been left to the user but somebody decided to limit the usability of the A10 in this, to me, utterly illogical manner! It's true that the backlight boost button gives ten seconds of 100% even with Advanced Power Setting on, but this is further fiddling and the button is stupidly small and difficult to operate with full finger gloves. And as scotch_whiskey says, the garmin never needs a backlight at all (even in the dark, for me, as I use a helmet mounted headtorch on the bike!)
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good point. If you double the level of detail (say by halving the size of the trail dots) you must increase the illumination by a factor of 4 (that is by 2 squared) for it to be as visible as previously. Reduce the size of the dots by a factor of 3 and you require 9 times the illumination to produce the same 'visibility'. There have been many studies in which a subject has been asked to pick out an object on a screen whose brightness is progressively increased until they could identity it. (Some of the work is classified because of its relevance in picking out objects seen in night vision scopes.) But I digress.

The 'physics' may therefore explain - or largely explain - why the Magellan Triton and the Garmin Colorado are harder to view than their lower-resolution screened predecessors.
Group51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:

the dream solution perhaps is satmaps hardware and nokia/symbian software

They should do a TomTom and port to the gorgeous screen (and API) of the iPhone.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally answered my own question when i sent the satmap back for a refund. i was pleasantly surprised when field and trek agreed to refund the money due to the unit being faulty (it was out of their 14 day return period) i got the impression they had already done this other satmaps!

i already miss the ordnance survey mapping display of the satmap - when it worked it was very impressive.
however i don't miss all of the issues that made ownership such a pain.

i've just looked at the feedback on satmaps website about the latest beta software - lockups and freezing still reported.

i used my garmin 60scx yesterday - not a perfect device - but as good as you can get at present.

i'd advise waiting for the active 20 to come out

..and yes, i have thought the new iphone loaded with os mapping in a waterproof case would make a perfect walking gps
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:
i've just looked at the feedback on satmaps website about the latest beta software - lockups and freezing still reported.

Where do you find this?
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny that I can read all about the beta upgrade in your URL
as given BUT when i go to the Satmap website and click on it is NOWHERE
mentioned Rolling Eyes
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably because it is a beta release they don't want everyone downloading it.

This is quite common practice where beta testing is often by invitation only.

Peter
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had to send my unit back due to water getting into behind the screen;
The unit was in/out my anorak pocket BUT it was teaming down with rain ALL day and i needed to micro- manage my navigation through
woodland copses. The unit functioned wonderfully until it expired
BUT by then i knew just where i was and wanted to go to get back to 'base'

Anyway the unit was returned NOT mended BUT a completely NEW
unit with 1.189 sofware preinstalled.

Reading the threads about lockup and loss of signal seems to be Mainly a biker problem. Walking which is what i acquired the unit for has so far been a pleasure
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:
..and yes, i have thought the new iphone loaded with os mapping in a waterproof case would make a perfect walking gps

And where are you going to get that from, sure the new iFone has GPS but I doubt you will find an application that can use OS mapping on it for quite a while, it is easy with a PDA and Otter Box as there are multiple applications that can be used for this - Mike
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the iphone is a dream, but the interface has promise.

i'd hestitate to recomend a pda - they run on microsoft software - so will hang and freeze i know as i have one.

microsoft software is simply not robust enough - however apple and symbian are.

actually i'd be happy with the hardware and software of the nokia 82 - but a bigger screen and ruggedised - perfect
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: After 1 month is Satmap10 a good buy? Reply with quote

The beta version can be found at LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the link as Satmap have previously asked that the Beta URL is not published.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: