Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - After one month - is the Satmap Active 10 a good buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

After one month - is the Satmap Active 10 a good buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that is the crux of the matter - you have to carry a garmin unit as a backup. i don't think you will find garmin users carrying a second backup unit.

i've come to the conclusion that i should go back to carrying my garmin and when i need exact confirmation on ordnance survey 1:25000 mapping i look at my wifes nokia n82 phone using viewranger software (www.viewranger.co.uk)

as for this being expected on a windows device. that would have been true 5 years ago, but not now.

as for their customer care i'm not so sure - they seem unable to respond to emails
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesn't seem to be all sweetness and light for Garmin owners either...in particular the Edge 205/305 and 605/705 having various issues in the cycling fora that I subscribe to.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrespective of the device I am using be it PDA or my active 10 I always have a backup solution available which is the plain and simple paper map in a waterproof map pouch and compass, anyone going out walking with just electronic equipment is risking too much unless you are only in a very localised spot and not venturing into the true hills - Mike
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have been using mine for the same length of time as andyb2 and am also a previous Garmin user.

OK there are a few glitches but it is so much easier to use than the Garmin. I suspect that most of the problems relate to the use of Windows as the OS.

I certainly would not describe it as unfit for purpose. As for the comparison with the phone software - that does look good and perhaps SatMap can learn a few things from it but I cannot mount my phone on my bike and use it for navigation

I am really happy with my SatMap. Give them the chance to enhance their firmware and stop moaning! Thats my suggestion

Peter
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highlighted the freezing problem in my review of the Active 10 back in October and said that whilst the quick users guide mentioned freezing being due to either corrupt data or power I put it down to it running on Windows.

Obviously the opening poster should feel however he wants to if he's not satisfied but if Satmap were to announce that they cannot fix the freezing problem I still wouldn't want a refund...(and I'm only on 15K a year before you say I have more money than sense). What would I buy instead, a pocket PC and Memory Map? That's hardly a model of stability. Laughing

I got 5 hours use before it froze on Saturday.....not too bad....I'm most concerned that it has transformed my rides from 99% A & B road riding to large sections of country lane riding without having to stop and look at a map.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do take the point that what else is there? if you are mounting the unit on a cycle you only have the active 10 for use with os mapping (i use a garmin vista with gb topo as i keep to minor roads and this solution is ok for me)

however if you are walking then there is an alternative. as i stated my wife carries a nokia n82 phone running viewranger os mapping. it is protected by a boxit case and clips to her rucksack. satellite reception is excellent (under heavy tree cover too) 8-9 hours of battery life, imports gpx tracks,.......and does'nt freeze.

i find it amazing that a software 'add on' for mobile phones works more reliably than a dedicated unit such as satmaps.

the dream solution perhaps is satmaps hardware and nokia/symbian software
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given Satmap the best part of 6 months to sort out the issues with the Active 10. Unfortuneatly the problems are both hardware and software related so all the problems will never be solved without updated hardware.

I have been using GPS systems for 10 years and have never experienced anything like the number of problems I have had with the Active 10. I realize that I will be flamed by the Satmap fanboys here but I would strongly advise against purchase of this unit - It most certainly is not of merchantable quality.

This is all a great pity as it could have been a winner.

The retailer I purchased the Satmap from has now given me a full refund.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whiskey, i imagine you will be flamed but i admire you. you managed 6 months - i've endured just a month and that is too long.

like you i have used several gps systems and never experienced such an unreliable, erratic, infuriating system.

the hardware is flawed and the softwares achilles heel is that it is windows based - i don't know of any device running windows that does'nt lock up.

i think it very sad that when praise is heaped on the active 10 it is because it manages to do for a few hours the most basic of gps functions - aquire a fix, keep it and not decide to go into a coma.

when i use my garmin gpsmap 60 i do miss the ordnance survey mapping, but i know that when i look at the screen after a few hours walking it will still be telling me where i am and how long it will be before i'm back to base. it may not be as spectacular as the satmap (when working!) - but at least it can be relied on.

on a final note, my experience of satmaps customer care has not been good, perhaps i was unlucky, but when i reported back about the problems i was having i was met by disbelief or hostility. even when i was merely confirming what other people have reported.
at no point was i offered a replacement working unit - perhaps they don't exist

perhaps the active 20 will be better???
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a point on this forum that all mention of Satmap customer service was positive.....I wonder what's changed! Confused
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where all this "flaming" paranoia came from. I have seen none on this forum which is remarkably well behaved.

I believe everyone is entitled to their view including satisfied users.

Peter
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be walking the N Yorkshire moors next week using the Active 10 loaded with 1:25k. However I will also have my Garmin 60 CSx in my backpack (with UK Topo mapping). I hope the Active 10 will function correctly for a week......but I shouldn't really have to keep my fingers crossed. I can't believe that the emergency services - still less the army - would adopt the A10 in its present unreliable state.

Garmin are not beyond launching a turkey; their Colorado was in that category when launched. However they have much larger resources (and probably better software engineers) to quickly rectify mistakes that frankly should never have been present at launch.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:
scotch_whiskey, i imagine you will be flamed but i admire you.

When have you been flamed? You're unhappy with your experience and have every right to be so given what has transpired but those who are happy have every right to say so surely?
Quote:
i think it very sad that when praise is heaped on the active 10 it is because it manages to do for a few hours the most basic of gps functions - aquire a fix, keep it and not decide to go into a coma

You're letting your disappointment get the better of you here. Those of us who are happy have equally high expectations as you. I've been using GPS for many years, long before it was a consumer product and I have high demands as do most of the other users here, especially when they have outlaid their own money.
Quote:
on a final note, my experience of satmaps customer care has not been good, perhaps i was unlucky, but when i reported back about the problems i was having i was met by disbelief or hostility. even when i was merely confirming what other people have reported. at no point was i offered a replacement working unit - perhaps they don't exist

That is both very disappointing and also perhaps worrying. Lets hope the drop in standards is a temporary blip. We have a right to expect high standards of service from everyone and Satmap certainly appeared to start off on the right foot.

I'll see if I can get any insight from Satmap.
andyb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree about the colorado. i looked at it at the outdoors show and thought the jog wheel was pointless and mechanically suspect. i've heard its performance was pretty poor initially too.

however the Garmin 60 CSx whilst being a very ugly duckling works very well. the combination of 'D' pad and buttons is perfect, and performance is outstanding.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyb2 wrote:
i agree about the colorado. i looked at it at the outdoors show and thought the jog wheel was pointless and mechanically suspect. i've heard its performance was pretty poor initially too.

You get used to the jog wheel! It does make it very easy to use in the field with one hand (even with gloves on). It also comes off for cleaning if you ever need to do that.

As a C300 owner/user.. Performance is very good. Very sensitive, quick TTL and a nice display. Yep battery life was a bit suspect - but I'm getting 11+ hours continuous use on two 2800mAH rechargables. The biggest set of 'problems' seemed to originate from Geocaching sites and users that didn't give themselves enough time to get used to the new way of working with them.

I looked at the Satmap when it was previewed at the Outdoor Show, year before last. But I have significant investment in Anquet (1:50k) and MemoryMap (1:25K) mapping - having to pay again for 1:25K mapping of my favourite areas was one of the main reasons for avoiding it this time around. That's the problem/delight with OSGB maps of the outdoors - they don't change that much over time - hills are hills - paths are still there.... A mate and I went walking in Derbyshire recently - just for fun he brought along an old (1963) 1:63360 OSGB map of the area. It was perfectly useable as a navigation aid. And as Mike said - you always need to carry a paper map of the area and a compass (and know how to use them) before venturing into the great outdoors.

Whe the next generation OSGB mapping devices come out - I may just be tempted - it will be closer to retirement (only 2.5 years to go) and I will get better ROI as I will have more time for walking Laughing
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
..... As a C300 owner/user..
As a Satmap early adopter and a 60CSx owner, I looked at the Colorado as a possible replacement for the 60CSx, especially when I thought the Satmap wasn't going to cut it. I use my devices primarily for cycling and the biggest drawback of the Satmap, for me, is the poor screen visibility in medium+ sunlight. When I tried a Colorado at Cotswold Outdoors - they let me stand outside with it - I thought it was decidedly more difficult to read the screen in sunlight, compared to the 60CSx. I'd be interested in your comments on this, although I understand that screen visibility is not so critical for walking i.e. it's easier to tilt the screen just so to avoid reflections.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: