Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - warning distance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

warning distance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: warning distance Reply with quote

Hey,

What do you all recommend I set the warning distance for cams at on my tomtom?
mhvideos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be your decision based on your driving style, this is how mine are set

30mph 300 yards
40mph 400 yards
50 mph 500 yards
60 mph 1000 yards
70mph 1000 yards
Redlight 100 yards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or take a look at the Help Guide for the TomTom 910 (a link for which can be found by scrolling down the Seed Camera downloads page) - this contains a look up table of distances that corespond to time in seconds when travelling at the legal speed limit applicable to the camera speed - Mike
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you, helped a lot!

I've went through all the ones on my tomtom that have a speed number next to it, but what about the ones that don't? theres one with a question mark next to it, one with a star, and a couple of other question marked ones with the pic of the cam next to it.

no clue what yards to put on them?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones with a star are the cameras on gantries in variable speed limit sections of eg the M25 and M42. So you can assume you might be doing around 40-50 in those areas?

The ones with question marks are cameras where there was no speed limit recorded by whoever submitted them, so it's up to you. I use 400 yds.

No one has mentioned yet that the figures above (the "yards are 10 times the MPH" rule of thimb) are good for fixed cameras, but mobile sites use laser guns that "see" much further, so many people double the figures for mobiles.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gatso Variable (*) style and TBA cameras (?) and Redlights I always set to 300 yards, others might agree/ disagree but I find these values work for me - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Gatso Variable (*) style and TBA cameras (?) and Redlights I always set to 300 yards, others might agree/ disagree but I find these values work for me - Mike

Mike any chance off getting a run down off the distance settings for all the cam styles you personally have set on your sat nav ?? to be honest have been doing a bit off searching on the site and it seems there are so many answers to this very question !!

5o have set the Gatso variable ( * ) style and the TBA cameras ( ? ) as well as the Redlight cameras all at your suggested 300 yards level just wonder what settings you personally have for all other gatsos / mobile etc ??

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I used to use the 30 second values in the TomTom 910 speed camera setup guide I wrote, these days I find it much quicker to use the "rule of ten"

For a 30MPH camera use 300 yards
For a 50MPH camera use 500 yards
For a 70MPH camera use 700 yards

With respect to mobile cameras I add an additional 50% to the above values so a 50MPH mobile has a 750 yard distance set against it - does this help?
Seriously though the distance you set is dependent upon your driving style, I don't speed but still rely on the database to protect me just in case, license is clean and I want it to stay that way - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect mate yep pretty much similar driving this side to youself ( petrol too expensive to speed about if nothing else !! ) so will take your advice and use these particular settings.

just thought I take it there is no reason the specs cameras can be set at the same warning distance as for the gatso ones ??

uk temp just what are temp cameras compared to mobile ?? I see my poi list has one uk temp listing, no speeds given with this one just one category ??

cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Temp" is a category that is (hopefully) dying out. It was introduced for temporary cameras in roadworks in the days when the database wasn't divided up into speed limits like it is now. The disadvantage of it is that it cannot alert dependant on the speed, so I think the few left in that category should be put into the "normal" Gatso categories.

The vast majority of temporary camera installations are now SPECS cameras anyway, and they ARE put into the relevant speed-zoned categories.

For now you could assume they will probably be placed in a temporary 40 or 50 MPH zone Not perfect, but a good guess. Or if you are really keen you could see if there is a speed limit added to the name of that actual camera and move it into one of the speed zoned categories, using the usual "add POI" and "delete POI" functions on the TT.

For info I use the "Rule of ten" as above but DOUBLE the values for mobiles having read just how far away they can "see" you.
Redlights are set at 300yds
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Redlight 100 yards"

Not sure i agree with this one... I prefer a warning a bit more prior to being on top of the yellow light.

Tomtom 700 = 320 Yards
XDA Orbit = 600 Yards

( the difference is due to the slow CPU on the XDA ).

I have to say though, after having my tomtom's since Dec 2005, you soon start to phase over the warning sounds in the end.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:

I have to say though, after having my tomtom's since Dec 2005, you soon start to phase over the warning sounds in the end.

Are you using our voice alerts?

That's why aeroplanes use real voice warnings (usually female!) They are a lot harder to learn to ignore.
I keep the TomTom supplied database on my Go for a giggle as well as the PGPSW one, and I use the text to speech feature to get it to say something rude like "B****r me, I've actually found a camera!"

Otherwise you could just keep changing the sound used?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
"ot sure i agree with this one... I prefer a warning a bit more prior to being on top of the yellow light.

So how do you manage not to run a red light when the lights have no redlight camera to warn you that there is s set of traffic lights ahead Very Happy Don't tell me, you look out of the window for them Very Happy Very Happy
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mpwilson99 wrote:
"ot sure i agree with this one... I prefer a warning a bit more prior to being on top of the yellow light.

So how do you manage not to run a red light when the lights have no redlight camera to warn you that there is s set of traffic lights ahead Very Happy Don't tell me, you look out of the window for them Very Happy Very Happy

Very good, i usually drive defensively upto traffic lights, just even more so when they have a redlight jumper on them, i just hate it when your going over them and they start to change.

With regards to the warning sounds, I use `trumpet` sounds. A short sharp one for mobiles, and a long blarring out one for fixed.
The sound file i created for both types has the sound, then a 5 second blank gap and then the sound again, with the decibels taken up too to make them extra loud!
This basically gives each camera a double warning, one on approach, and one nearer as i go over it, worked out fairly perfectly with the warning distance to match the lengh of the sound file to the distance driven.

Cheers

MPW
clevertrevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 530T to replace my 2005 'one', any one know a rule of thumb to set the speech to say accuratly how far away the camera is if i set the POI warning at the X10 rule i want it to say something like "warning 30 MPH gato in XXX yards" (Booring i know) but obviously this will not be the same as the yards set to the POI warning distance

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: