Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speech recognition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speech recognition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: speech recognition Reply with quote

Embarassed its not me honest but when i opened the box 3 days ago it all worked great the speech recognition for navigating was superb in my opinion. have opened a new account and downloaded whatever updates were available but now the navigate to via speech buttons are greyed out and do not work. Tomtom support tell me to send them a pna file and they will get back to me, my question is shall i just copy and past back to the factory state before tomtom home updates and hopefully this will put things right or shall i download my map update and if so will this contain the speech files i need to get the 730 working again?. i have tried a soft reset via bottom of device but have not tried a factory restore yet. i did find a thread on this site but there appeared to be no definitive answer that is understandable by someone of my knowledge. again thanks in advance for any help coming my way.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: speech recognition Reply with quote

headhurts wrote:
downloaded whatever updates were available but now the navigate to via speech buttons are greyed out and do not work

Do you recall if the Navcore v8.010 is one of the updates you downloaded?

If so, this thread might be of interest because it's something which worked fine with v7.221 and v7.481, but seems to be giving problems with v8.010
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy it appears to be working again i did a factory restore but funny thing is when i started the 730 it still had application 8.010 installed but the original application was 8.001 also the free voices i downloaded ie jane was still on the device as was the software to operate the go via tomtom home so it seems a restore to factory setting is a lie. still not sure what the problem was though can only assume the factory restore somehow reinstalled something that was corrupted. watch this space for more of my antics. the 730 is superb when working but they do seem a bit flakey when updated its almost like tomtom rush out software updates too quickly, i am new on here so forgive me if all this is old hat.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think voice recognition has been a bit flakey in the past. It worked fine on my device when I got it. I updated to v7.481 and it failed, sometines iconss were greyed out and others they looked ok but the device didn't seem to hear me. I then changed to v7.221 but nothing changed. When I updated to v8.10 (Sorry TomTom Support, it was offered by HOME so I think you did provide it) it put it all right. In fact it seems to work better than it did out-of-the-box except it has difficulty with french names, probably my accent. But I cross my fingers every time I try it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headhurts wrote:
i did a factory restore but funny thing is when i started the 730 it still had application 8.010 installed but the original application was 8.001...

Yeah, the "return to factory settings" doesn't actually do what it implies. For example, if you have updated software it removes the old files completely, so the machine CAN'T put things back as they were on it's own!
All it does is remove all your personal settings and some things you may have added.
shadwellal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the advice of TomTom support, I ran ClearFlash to correct my speech recogniton problems today - it had just stopped working completely on my 2 day old 930T. So far seems to have cured it. ClearFlash can be downloaded from

http://www.tomtom.com/6178
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also get the greyed out speech recognition if you change country or navigate to a destination in say france

I was mucking around with some routes in france - planning for holidays - and when I next used it the speed icons were grey - changing the country back to the union flag restored it.

Guess its down to the language issues.
sinky50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem speach buttons greyed out contacted customer support who asked me to back up device then delete all orphaned files then delete asr folder. Then reboot and let home update it , this took both speech icons off menue. i contacted them about this but still no reply, 2 days and waiting.After reading this forum I checked and foun North American maps had the cspeecg files in them but not in west Europe.Restored unit with original files and tried unit for America and hey presto speach recog worked. Looks like I go a American unit. Contacted Support about cspeech files but they havent got back to me.

sinky50
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: two phones are one of the causes for me Reply with quote

my speech icons were greyed out but after playing around for a while it was because i had two phones both bluetooth that were connecting to my 730 when i switched one of the phones off and rebooted hey presto the icons were back and working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: