Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ongoing Traffic problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ongoing Traffic problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamdrivenandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Ongoing Traffic problems Reply with quote

For months I tried to get my Nokia 6300 to work properly with my TomTom One on the GPRS Traffic service.
If I reset via the paperclip hole (or more seriously by clearing the flash memory or restoring factory settings) the Traffic and other PLUS services would work initially, but if you turned off the TomTom you lostboth Plus and Traffic capability although the phone showed that Bluetooth and GPRS were still connected properly.
I got so fed up that I decided to buy a Nokia 6233 which is a Tom Tom supported phone whereas the 6300 wasn't.
GUESS WHAT
I have exactly the same problem with the 6233.
My conclusion is that there is a problem with the TomTom firmware/hardware that loses the PLUS capability once the unit is turned off.
TomTom have had me run Disk Error Checking today as well as all the other resets etc but we still have the same problem.
I'm v annoyed as I've wasted £125 on a new phone that it appears I don't need and I've been racking up GPRS charges for which I've rec'd no value and I've wasted two thirds of my TomTom annual traffic subscription cost.
All in all I reckon I'm about £250 down AND I still haven't got the Traffic service working.
Can anyone suggest a decent solution?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if there is a Firmware update for your phone.

MANY users use this phone I seem to recall.
steamdrivenandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fraid not, I've checked the 6233 via Nokia and it's up to date and right on the button, as you say lots of people use the 6233 successfully.

The fact that I've had exactly the same problem when using two different model phones suggest to me that the TomTom unit is at fault rather than the phones.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6300. When I got my 720 I paired it to the phone and initially tried the weather service as it's free. That worked so I subscribed to Traffic. It is perfect in every way, even though it isn't on TT's compatibility list, except it can't receive text messages, although it can send them. The compability list seems to indicate that very many Nokias are the same.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the hands free work for the 6300 via the 720 running Navcore 8,010? as I had some problems getting this working earlier today, pair up is fine, transfer of numbers is fine - you can answer and initiate calls, but no audio from the device - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike, I almost never get called on my mobile. I assumed handsfree worked ok because I called my work number when I wasn't there and got the voicemail back fine, and my message was on the voicemail when I got in. But of course that wasn't receiving a call.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Recocgnised your handle straight away from MHF forums. Your problem is very similar to one I had with a PDA version and Tom Tom navigator 6. I was constantly restarting as once you'd powered off it showed connection but failed to access the server until a reboot of the PDA.

I managed to cure the pairing issues on my Tom Tom 720 (not the PDA) by deleting all references to all phones in the phone management section, deleting the bluetooth pairing on the phone, re-pairing and repeating the proceedure on the Tom Tom. However, I would assume with the amount of hassle, you've done this already (probably several times!).

I know from conversations elsewhere that you don't live too far from me and if you want to identify if it's your phone I'm more than happy to get together over a cuppa and wade through a set of old phones I have here to see if it's a phone issue. I have a 6230i in the boot of the car, permanantly on which I never touch and it works a treat so we could try that one and see if we can identify where the problem lies by at least knowing which bit DOES work.

Won't be this weekend though as the Hymer will be full of teenage offspring heading for Download Festival!
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: