Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 255W
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 255W
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 255W Reply with quote

Considering a Nuvi 255W

1 - Has anyone tried one? What do you think?

2 - I would be moving from TomTom - what am I likely to not like?

3 - And what am I going to like?

4 - Do the Nuvis work well off-road? I appreciate battery life would be a problem but other than that?

5 - The other consideration would be the 760. More expensive, but with more features though most of which I wouldn't use anyway. I'm assuming that the 760 is an older generation (is there a 765 coming out) and I guess the 255W has newer maps and the relief shading. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Nigel
alancu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: 255W Reply with quote

I just took delivery of a 255T not a 255W but I apart from the wide screen I think the HW is all the same. So first the bad news:

I just sent it back! Contrary to most adverts, reviews and the US garmin site (which unfortunately was the only one I thought to check) the 255 UK model does not have text to speech!

This was the one reason I decided to upgrade from my I3 and all the research I did online lead me to beleive it had the feature. I can only assume this is a marketing decision by Garmin. At best they lost the sale at worse after hanging with Garmin for a long time I may just move to a competitor. Unless I am missing something profound this just sounds like marketing game. I bet all 255s come out the same factory and they just o disable the feature for specific markets. All that does is make me looks elsewhere.

In the day that I had the unit and tested it let me tell you the good features: The hotfix is neat, seemed to get a fix much much faster than my I3. TMC worked well in the short test I conducted as well and the new TMC receiver is nicely integrated into the power lead (less clutter). Unit if nicely constructed and the new processor seems to update maps much faster than my I3. I didn't think the speaker tone was as good as the I3 but I expected this due to the smaller (and much nicer) form factor.

Just don't make the same mistake I did and trust the reviews that said how useful the "text to speech" was, they must have been US reviews. It aint got it!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alancu is correct. The UK version do not have Text To Speech - Click Here

However the US versions do Click Here

Why? Only Garmin knows....

You can check each models features and compare with other models here. Just make sure you set the correct locale at the top....
jstallan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ... I'm glad I re-read that post. I was going to buy a Nuvi 255t based on text-to-speech... Now it's back to the drawing board....
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's on the US one either

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=30043

Cheers,

Nigel
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 760, which did have text to speech, but it sounded like R2D2!
I also sent it back, not because of the voice, but the layout did not suit me. I have been using various TomTom's over the years and I decided that it was time for a change.
The biggest problem that I had was that I have become used to glancing at TT in "Travel" mode, to be able to see speed, next turn, time of arrival etc instantaneously. With the Garmin, you need to switch to a different screen (with no map) to see all that detail.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nheather- How odd. Your link says

Quote:
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : no

Mine says

Quote:
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : yes

Both are Garmin web pages. However the feature list i looked at shows the US version as having TTS and the UK not.... Shocked
kieeee
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like US version
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
looks like US version

Exactly. One page on Garmins website says the US version doesn't have TTS and another page says the US version does.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2x0 and 2x5 series are entry level devices and i very much doubt that any region-specific versions will have any extra features such as TTS...

MaFt
alancu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I called Garmin to find out why my 255 couldn't cough up road names I was told that it wasn't fitted in UK models. Implying that it was in others! After I sent the unit back I stumbled across this link that tends to back up the above:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/541260

"The nuvi 255 and 255W will be available in versions that include comprehensive coverage of North America, Europe, Australia or New Zealand. The nuvi 255 and 255W models for North America, Australia or New Zealand announce street names in their voice prompts, advising you to "Turn right on Walnut Street" rather than just saying "Turn right in 500 feet.""

If this is just a marketing decision I sure hope Garmin have thought this through. I'm looking elsewhere now after sticking with Garmin through an E-trex and an I3
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar the what TomTom have done with the One XL range, buy it in the UK/ Europe and all you get is standard voices, purchase it over in the US and you get the Text To Speech - Mike
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you buy a Nuvi 250W or 255W in the US and bring it home and install UK/European maps it will have TTS?
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a 350 which has TTS. It isn't wide though but I valued the Europe maps and TTS more highly.
I'm very pleased with it. And in the UK it is heavily discounted now as the 360 has replaced it.
It has latest v10 maps as well by the way.

Worth a look.

Mark B
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
alancu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you buy a Nuvi 250W or 255W in the US and bring it home and install UK/European maps it will have TTS?

Yes I was wondering about that, I think it should work. The only thing that put me off is whether the TMC will be compatible, I think it might not be. So ultimately you might get the TTS but lose the TMC, and then have to pay for the Euro maps as well.

What we really need is a good hardware hacker to get inside a 255 and figure out what Garmin do to nobble this unit for us UK buyers not worthy of this feature Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: