Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin & TMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Garmin & TMC Reply with quote

I've had a TMC enabled Sat Nav (Nuvi 760) for 4 months now and not had many opportunity's to use it fully. I usually find the warnings are so far away that they never really bother me or i have no warnings on route at all. Only twice did it do anything - once it diverted me out the other side of Guildford and along a B road avoiding the totally jammed A3 Very Happy and once it diverted me off the motorway into a town and back onto the motorway in the perfect position to join the jam I'd apparently avoided.... Crying or Very sad

I was discussing it with someone yesterday who is currently deciding whether to go for a TMC unit or not. Between us we came up with a few questions we were hoping more experienced TMC'ers might be able to answer.

1) What happens if i have the TMC unit plugged in but have no route selected? Say I'm travelling down the A217 towards the A217 / M25 interchange. a) If my intention is to stay on the A217 what happens if there is a delay on the M25? Would i be warned of it as i could turn onto it? If i did turn onto the M25 would i be alerted once i am on the slip road? This could be too late to be warned.

2) What if i select Avoid for an incident 200 miles away and the delay clears? Does my route go back to what it would have been or does the divert stay in place?

3) What happens if, say, Junction 8-10 of the M1 is slow moving? I'm at Junction 2 i select Avoid. It routes me off at 8 and back on at 10. By the time I've got to Junction 5 the delay is back to junction 7 (or in the case of a slow moving convoy has extended to Junction 11) will it automatically re-route or will i have to select Avoid again?

I'm going to be send these to Garmin too, with the following....

4) Why is there no distance to Incident Indicator (a la TomTom) when using the TMC? If i see a 45 minutes delay ahead there is no way to know if that is 10 minutes ahead or 200 miles away without having to go through several screens which is not ideal when driving. Surely there should be some sort of range (user definable) over which the alerts are ignored?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

My experience with the TMC on my 660 tells me this...

1/ It dioes warn you of delays even if you are not following a route. there seems to be a distance factor here - the last time it happened to me i would guess 10 miles or so.

2/ Once you have manually avoided a route I think it stays as the preferred route - can't say I've seen anything to tell me otherwise - but if as i suspect it re-checks after TMC info is updated then possibly! (Sorry not a help I know!)

3/ Not sure - if it gets notification via TMC it should re-calculate the route I suspect. I'm not sure but I think that any changes notified by TMC to conditions on your planned route cause a recalculation. See below.

4/ The delay figure that is displayed is the total delay for all incidents on the route. I was coming back from York to Cheshire last week. I had a total of 38 mins delay showing for a total of four incidents on the M62. It then dropped to 20 mins as it changed the route for me. It had planned a very circuitous route from the M1 extension at Leeds to the M62 - it was taking me on the M621 to avoid the first delay. At least it got me past the first problem. Years of driving on the M62 has told me that unless it's a very severe problem the 'alternatives' are much worse.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh - Thanks. I'll have another read later. I did a run to Guildford yesterday in the morning rush hour, hoping (in a way) to have to use the TMC. Alas no. No breakdowns, accidents or incidents...... In fact, typically, it was my fastest run to Guildford and back..... Looks like i'll have to keep playing...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: