Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Bluetooth GPS cradle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Bluetooth GPS cradle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: TomTom Bluetooth GPS cradle Reply with quote

Looking at the descriptions and illustrations on the TT website, it appears that the TT BT GPS receiver no longer includes the charging/docking cradle. Has anybody else spotted this, or is it just my imagination?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are quite correct. TomTom no onger supply the cradle. They ere of the opinion that it was this that was the casue of so many failures which is contrary to our findings. Anyway the end result is no more cradle which is a shame as for me it was the major reason I favoured that unit.
bjornh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is the same TomTom GPS supply without the cradle or if it's an updated model?
//Björn H
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
No, you are quite correct. TomTom no onger supply the cradle. They ere of the opinion that it was this that was the casue of so many failures which is contrary to our findings. Anyway the end result is no more cradle which is a shame as for me it was the major reason I favoured that unit.

As a GPS newbie, I'm a little confused. Is this docking cradle solely for use with the GPS BT receiver, or are we talking about the cradle for the ppc? If it's for the GPS BT receiver, how does it get charged without the cradle? - Is there a separate mains charger? Does this mean that you can't charge the GPS BT receiver from the car?

Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom BT GPS was unique in having a cradle accessory which allowed semi-permanent in-car mounting and charging at the same time. It had two sockets so you could use either a cigar lighter cable or alternatively a 12v cable that could be hard wired directly into the car's electrics.

The BT unit itself also has its own charge jack into which you plug the supplied cigar charger cable so the cradle is not required and indeed as it is no longer supplied or available it needs it!

Early units failed rather too often, our experience (I think we had three out of four fail) suggested it was when being charged via the jack on the unit itself that it failed but TomTom appear to think it was the cradle that was the cause hence it's ommission from current packages.
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the explanation. :D

Alan
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the confirmation. Your comments on the (mis)diagnosis of the failure mechanism is a bit worrying. Do you know if the TomTom BT receiver reliability is OK now? It looks an attractive price when bundled with the TT3 software (about £200), but not if it is going to fail.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to say that I have not haerd of failures for some time now so it is to be hoped that the problem has been resolved. To their credit there was never a problem getting the unit replaced when it failed, certainly mine has been going strong for 6 months or so since it was replaced.
bjornh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know if it is the same old TomTom GPS (firmware 2.2 without EGNOS support ) supply without the cradle or if it's an updated model?

Anyone? Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorn, i thought I had answered this but can't see my post! Anyway, the latest unit we have received from TomTom has identical firmware to earlier models.
bjornh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad!

I think I will buy Fortuna Clip-On instead.
I will primary use it in my camper when driving on holiday but also when walking in the city and forest.

Any comment on the choice of GPS?

//Björn H
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the Fortuna Clip-On although a V2 was shown at CeBIT which lackes the 'hump' of the first model and is consequently a little lower as well as running newer firmware.

My BT GPS of choice is the Royaltek RBT3000 Datalogger. The datalogger functionality is great and allows you to download and save log files from its internal memory store.

Just imagine replaying a walk or journey once home from your holidays! The datalogger replay software mimics a real GPS unit so you can sit at home and play the log file back through any GPS enabled software.

The downside is it is larger than most BT units and lacks a lanyard hole so may not be ideal for hiking etc.
bjornh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that Clip-On v2 is on the way out.
Does v2 have ST/XT switch too. It's not on the picture on:
http://cebit.textamerica.com/?r=543786
The ST/XT function is the main thing for my choice, two GPS in one!
The Royaltec is not available in Sweden..
//Björn H
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Wiring into Vectra Reply with quote

Talking of the Tomtom BT GPS cradle, I spent yesterday afternoon wiring it into a new Vectra.

I'd decided on the rear parcel shelf as a location, but had never got around to finding a easy point to get 12v.

Following the recommendations of others on this forum, I checked the boot light. Sure enough, +12V between the red wire and the car metalwork.

Checked that this was still +12 when the bootlight was off, still OK.

Then after wiring it all in, checked the voltage to find it now swinging between 0.5v and 2v Rolling Eyes

It appears that after 5 mins of (simulating) the boot closure, the voltage is allowed to drop. Haven't a clue why, although this coincides with the disabling of the external boot release button (which is by design).
Pressing the button to enable the boot release reinstates +10v, and this rises to 12v once the boot is actually opened. Baffling.

In the end I got a solid +12v from the fuse box in the boot. Stays live at all times.

Should I be concerned that its more like +14v when the engine is running?
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the functionality of being able to transfer my TTN2 BT kit between any vehicle I am using, the other major thing that swung my wallet was the fantastic set of fixings that came with the package.

I could probably fasten it to an iceberg with one of the many attachments in the kit. The package resembled a Swiss Army Knife and I was confident that what ever my needs there would be a combination in the pack even for charging via the mains at home or abroad.

If TomTom are starting to drop various bits of kit I think that this is a bad move.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: