Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930T poor battery life
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930T poor battery life
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: 930T poor battery life Reply with quote

I've had my 930t now for 3 weeks and the battery will not last for more than 75 minutes Sad .

When the battery indicator drops below half, the voice guidance starts cutting out unless i turn it down so low i can hardly hear it.
Also when the batt indicator reaches 1/4 the unit switches off.

So now after about 30-40mins i have to connect the charger so i can keep the volume high without affecting the performance

The bluetooth function is switched off, so its not that killing the power.

My previous TT910 battery lasted up to 2.5 hours which id be more than happy with on the 930.

Overall im happy with the 930 but this crap battery performance is driving me up the wall, how on earth can TT quote 5hrs
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You·can increase duration by fully using the power save options while the device is in use but I much doubt anyone uses these to be honest.
The device is supplied with a car charger cable that is supposed to be used to power/ charge the unit while in use - Mike
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The device is supplied with a car charger cable that is supposed to be used to power/ charge the unit while in use - Mike

But surely I shouldn't have to use the car charger after 30-40mins from a full charge so i can keep the volume up high without it distorting due to low power.

Why put a battery in the first place! if its only good for just over an hour. And then claim up to 5hrs use, which going by mine would never be possible, even changing the battery saving settings , probably wouldn't make difference. And as you say who would use them anyway.

Its just that on my 910 my battery used to last 2hrs even with my phone conected

Surely i must have a dud battery.

Come on other 930 owners, what's your battery life like?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With x20 models, some users who did a pin reset found their battery life seemed extended. May be worth a shot.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned the FM transmitter off too if you're not using it?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

730 user, but close...

It's honestly going to be hard to answer for you mate...

Because just as Mike says, so few of us use it that way... It IS designed to be used on power, irrespective of it containing a battery.

Indeed, I used to use my 720 that way, on battery, at first, thinking I was doing the right thing, by letting it fully drain and thus discharge, and then topping up fully.

But then it was explained to me, that each battery is good for maybe a 1000 full charges. And if you drain it part way, that would be half of one of those 1000 full top ups I indicated.

So realising that, I decided I NEVER want to use my device on battery, UNLESS I can ONLY run it on battery.

In other words, why waste them 1000 top-ups using it on battery, when I can be using it plugged in - thus saving those 1000 top-ups for when I CAN'T plug it in for some reason.

So Mike's right - run it plugged in mate. Contrary to what you might feel, with it containing a battery, that's NOT how it is designed to be used now.

Picture the latest mobile phones, that USUALLY run on battery. Now that they contain a gps module in the latest, you are SPECIFICALLY told to always POWER it when using the gps for in car navigation.

True Sat-nav's are now no different, given their larger screens, FM output, bigger internal speakers etc etc. AND of course a slimming down in size, from the older devices with BIGGER batteries, that you allude to.

I too though, was surprised how little time I got out of my old 720 on battery.

But to be fair, yes, your mileage, on battery, with No FM Out, BT turned off, etc etc, sounds still poorer yet.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I should RTFM but how to turn FM trasnmitter off ??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select Internal Speaker or Line Out for both the spoken navigation voice and Music in Change Preferences/ Speaker Preferences anf the FM Tx will be turned off - Mike
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
With x20 models, some users who did a pin reset found their battery life seemed extended. May be worth a shot.

Cant see it doing anything, but then again ive seen stranger things happen.
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Turned the FM transmitter off too if you're not using it?

Yep thats off Thumbs Up
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
730 user, but close...

It's honestly going to be hard to answer for you mate...

Because just as Mike says, so few of us use it that way... It IS designed to be used on power, irrespective of it containing a battery.

Indeed, I used to use my 720 that way, on battery, at first, thinking I was doing the right thing, by letting it fully drain and thus discharge, and then topping up fully.

But then it was explained to me, that each battery is good for maybe a 1000 full charges. And if you drain it part way, that would be half of one of those 1000 full top ups I indicated.

So realising that, I decided I NEVER want to use my device on battery, UNLESS I can ONLY run it on battery.

In other words, why waste them 1000 top-ups using it on battery, when I can be using it plugged in - thus saving those 1000 top-ups for when I CAN'T plug it in for some reason.

So Mike's right - run it plugged in mate. Contrary to what you might feel, with it containing a battery, that's NOT how it is designed to be used now.

Picture the latest mobile phones, that USUALLY run on battery. Now that they contain a gps module in the latest, you are SPECIFICALLY told to always POWER it when using the gps for in car navigation.

True Sat-nav's are now no different, given their larger screens, FM output, bigger internal speakers etc etc. AND of course a slimming down in size, from the older devices with BIGGER batteries, that you allude to.

I too though, was surprised how little time I got out of my old 720 on battery.

But to be fair, yes, your mileage, on battery, with No FM Out, BT turned off, etc etc, sounds still poorer yet.

Thumbs Up thanks shadamehr for your reply

Last edited by trickymicky on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickymicky wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

I find that hard to believe! Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
trickymicky wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

I dont know what your on about Laughing
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickymicky wrote:
Daggers wrote:
trickymicky wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

I dont know what your on about Laughing

Erm, my posts have a habit of, in my words, forming a detailed and comprehensive explanation.

Or in other people's words, being "too long".

You pays your money, you takes your pick, I reckon Laughing

So the joke runs that...

1) You posted a reply, quoting me, but snipping out the wording, to save space.
2) This made it look like I had not said anything.
3) This made one of regs on here, respond with "I find that hard to believe".
4) And then Andy saw the funny side of it too.

Laughing

Suffice to say mate, this a canny place, very knowledgeable, and with a lot of people happy to help.

But GOD help you if you use more than 125 words in a reply - you'll never hear the end of it ever. It is rather, er, biased toward short answers, sadly, much to it's discredit, compared to other forum and of other topics too - they fail to realise that given the font used on phpBB based boards, compared to more modern and easy on the eye phpNuke etc, and the fixed width, then posts automatically seem much longer than anywhere else right from the off - so add my 'detailed' nature to the mix, and it always seems worse than it really is. Wink

I also use paragragh spacing (like this gap now) to make it easier on the eye and for the reader, but then get told this makes it too long on the screen itself. Doh. Catch 22.

But in closing, let me just make clear, I saw the funny side to this too, and congratulate those concerend on a piece of clever light-heartedness, for sure.

And come on folks, "why use one word, when a thousand will suffice", has always been my maxim, as well you all know!

Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: