Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 930 & Nokia N82
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 930 & Nokia N82

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwoodbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 930 & Nokia N82 Reply with quote

Hey,

I know there are other posts about the compatibility of mobiles, but I don't know if anyone is experiencing the same problem I am. I have a Nokia N82 with 20.0.062 firmware and it will happily connect to the Tomtom for hands free and phone book transfer but not SMS and more importantly, to the Plus services.

For the initial setup it will add the phone, but then if I select any Plus services it refuses to connect. Having said that, the *99# command also does nothing on my phone.

Any help would be appreciated...!

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else noticed that TomTom have done a bit of a re-design on their Phone Compatibility Page?

Unfortunately the N82 is still not shown as compatible, so if anything does work, it's a bonus.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those web pages are terrible to load, they take ages each time you make a selection and yes I do have a very high speed connection - I think the old list was better, loading up lots of fancy pictures each time is a waste of bandwidth - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have stated elsewhere on here before, may I just use the opportunity again to point out that Symbian Nokias (also known as Series 60 Nokia Handsets), CAN'T allow Message Box access!

That is to say, handsets such as the N95, 6120 Classic, N82, N73, and so on. These handsets feature a true operating system (Symbian), which hundreds of programs, applications, games, and software can be added.

These are NOT to be confused with the more 'basic' Nokias, that many love and rely on, that have the standard Nokia Menu system, such as 6230, 6230i, 6233, 6500, 6500 Slide etc. These are known as Series 40 Nokias, and some SHOULD allow Messaging Access.

But this is NOT a TomTom issue - this is because of the unique design of the Symbian Operating system. And as such, BMW Built in Car Kits, as well as top Merc. ones etc, ALSO cannot access the messaging folders.

This is because they are not a basic storage area of the phone, as on other such phones - they use a databased storage approach in hidden memory amongst other things.

Indeed, to put it into perspective... in order to work with Nokia's OWN car kit, an actual piece of software FOR THE PHONE ITSELF needs to be downloaded and installed on the handset, in order to let the car-kit, 'communicate' with the phone, via the 'interpreter' piece of software.

So please bear in mind, ANY Symbian Nokia, now or in the future, is not likely to ever be compatible with a TomTom, in terms of the Messaging folder side of things.

Hope this helps.

Go 730 T + Nokia N82, as per signature.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO:

In terms of not being able to use for Plus Services, you SHOULD be able to - I do perfectly, never fails.

But it sounds like you never got it set up right, so, see my post in the thread HERE...

About getting the phone set up for Plus, and in particular the magic "65%" then pauses, situation.

NOTE also, the link to yet another thread, in that post too, in case that helps as well.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the N82 and it connects fine to my 930 for Plus services. I don't use the 930 for handsfree (I have a Parrot MK6100 for that, which also properly handles music over Bluetooth). It took a few attempts for the phone to connect and set up the wireless data connection, but persevere and you'll get there.

As shadamehr says, you won't be able to access SMS services due to the nature of the S60 system. Don't expect a firmware upgrade on either device to change this!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:
{snip} As shadamehr says, you won't be able to access SMS services due to the nature of the S60 system. Don't expect a firmware upgrade on either device to change this!

Exactly right, and the point mate, it's a system design limtation, as it were. Theoretically, future special code on the side of the TT, COUPLED with a stand-alone additional .sis Symbian Software Apllication ON THE PHONE too, that works as an Interpter, could allow for this. But costs, time, licencing, implementation, and ongoing support issues etc, all but preclude that ever happening, as you say mate.

It's a LOT more than just a firware fix on the Nokia - as indidcated by the fact that this is ALL Symbian Nokias. It's a design policy.

Cheers all.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a Sony Ericcsson W910i or most other SE branded phones, if you want all SMS read/write services on your TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: