Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't be afraid to ask 'silly' questions, as this is very frustrating for me.

scarymonkey wrote:

1. Have you enable the POIs to display them on the map (Main Menu - Manage POI - Show/hide POIs)?

Yes.

scarymonkey wrote:

2. For Camera Alerts (or even other POI you want to be notified about) have you enabled the warnings (Main Menu - Manage POI - Enable warn near POI)?

I have already enabled safety camera alerts, and adding an alert to my custom POI did not make any difference.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant think of anything else atm, but as I said I should be getting 2009 tomorrow (UPS permitting) so will have a look to see if there is anything different or if I can find anything else.

Also, in case it is relevant but not yet discovered, how many different POI files do you have?

If you want, I can try your file in my system if it helps. Will need to know where to in the country to look. Let me know if this will help and i'll PM you my email address.
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help scarymonkey, its very much appreciated.

I think I am getting somewhere now. It looks like there is a limit to the number of items you can have in a custom POI file. The original POI file I was using had 87 items in it, which was perfectly acceptable in Tom Tom. I've now cut this down to 8 items and they are now showing on the McGuider map.

My question is therefore what is the maximum number of items that I can have in a custom POI file?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some large POI files (ATMs etc which I guess must run in hundreds). What you have said though rings some bells with a problem I had with one POI when I originally got McGuider. For some reason something in it was against the requirements of ov2upi conversion. IIRC I had to get the POI as a CSV and then use the converter on the Sygic website to convert the file to a POI.
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
I have some large POI files (ATMs etc which I guess must run in hundreds). What you have said though rings some bells with a problem I had with one POI when I originally got McGuider. For some reason something in it was against the requirements of ov2upi conversion. IIRC I had to get the POI as a CSV and then use the converter on the Sygic website to convert the file to a POI.

Unfortunately the link on the Sygic website to their POI converter program is broken. Any chance of e-mailing your copy to me if I give you my e-mail address via PM? Smile

Last edited by MavAV on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I no longer have a copy of it (typical that I didn't back it up before replacing my pc aargh). I have however asked Sygic to send me a copy so will let you know if they do.

If you have your POI in a CSV format, you could look at the raw data. Make sure there are no silly entries in there (names where there should be co-ords etc). Also check for things like commas and other puntuation in fields like names. The error I saw was because of a comma in the name field of 1 entry.
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a link to a copy here;
http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=218812
but can't seem to get it to work.

Can you tell me what data I should have in the columns of my CSV file? I've currently got names in columns A & B, long. in column C, lat. in column D.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask the mods here if there has been any progress on including a McGuider version of PGPSW's camera database? Do you have any idea if and when it is likely to happen please?

I am still trying to decide what to do about updating TTN6 and am in 2 minds about moving over to McGuider or lining TT's pockets some more by migrating to TTN7 (despite TT's unwillingness to let me!). The difficulty of being able to easily put cameras on McGuider is an important factor. I know that if it is too much trouble (mucking about converting) I won't bother updating.

I still hanker for the old days when everytime I docked the old Ipaq it would check and update the PGPSW cameras automatically. On a separate point I suspect if PGPSW was to develop a bit of software to allow that to happen (at least for TT) then the database would become even more popular.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MavAV wrote:
I've found a link to a copy here;
http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=218812
but can't seem to get it to work.

Can you tell me what data I should have in the columns of my CSV file? I've currently got names in columns A & B, long. in column C, lat. in column D.

The link is back up now here and the version included is different to the one you supplied. There is also a manual and some sample files within the zip file to help.
The actual format is longitude, latitude, name with tabs rather than commas seperating the fields.
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help scarymonkey, Using the newer version of POI converter I've now managed to convert my POIs and they are now showing on the map.

I don't suppose you have any idea how I can convert my Tom Tom itinerary files to the McGuider version? Very Happy
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats excellent news. Was it some sort of corruption (punctuation etc) or did simply importing using the Sygic convertor sort the problem?

Unfortunately I am not aware of a way of converting the itinery files. Like the marked locations (history) I do not know where McGuider stores these files or in what format tbh.
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Thats excellent news. Was it some sort of corruption (punctuation etc) or did simply importing using the Sygic convertor sort the problem?

It was a combination of getting the CSV file in the correct format and using the Sygic converter.

Once again thanks for your help and have a nice weekend. Smile
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Always happy to help where possible.
From your experiences it does look like the ov2upi convertor might not be 100% reliable then, and can produce corrupt results.

I have just received my copy of McGuider 2009 so will be putting it through its paces soon. My first impressions are good with some of the suggestions I made to them being taken on board.
Pete2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey - can you do a "mini" review of the 2009 version.
I'm considering the McGuider myself and feedback on lateset version would be great.
Cheers
Pete
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete2 wrote:
Scarymonkey - can you do a "mini" review of the 2009 version.
I'm considering the McGuider myself and feedback on lateset version would be great.
Cheers
Pete

Already in process, once I have had a few hours more to play with it.

BTW (and totally OT) does anyone have something like My Mobiler or similar that will allow me to control my Orbit2 from my PC (and take decent screenshots)? The download locations I have used in the past are all dead now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: