Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris123 wrote:
2. On the same trip into Poole, there is a roundabout with 3 exits. The correct route was second exit, straight on. The map showed this correctly, the direction indicator pointed towards the first exit, and the voice command was 'turn left - take the 3rd exit' Confused

Sounds like it figured you were across the channel Laughing .
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamichea wrote:
Sounds like it figured you were across the channel Laughing .

I'm not sure what it thought - it certainly confused me. I expect the occasional routing error (Mapopolis certainly has its fair share!), but a mismatch between map and voice command seems a bit more fundamental to me?

Has anyone else seen issues like these? I've gone back to Mapopolis for now (found a fix for the problems I was having with it on another GPS website) and loaned the McGuider card to my FiL to try on his Mio A702 (he was using Navigon 6 until his Mio168 died). I haven't had a chance to call TeleAtlas yet.

Am I just expecting too much from a software package that costs so little?

Cheers

Chris
johnboy1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried the speedcams and icons from POI Plaza for Mcguider.Link here.http://poiplaza.com/index.php

Just installed Mcguider today on my Fuji loox n520 which is not on the compatible list but seems ok so far.Will try a few routes over the next few nights when i travel for work.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy1967 wrote:
Anyone tried the speedcams and icons from POI Plaza for Mcguider.

They are quite old (3 months) according to the last update date, as well as the link URL they provide not being valid. Personally I would rather stick with the tried and tested PGPSW database.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the same trip into Poole, there is a roundabout with 3 exits. The correct route was second exit, straight on. The map showed this correctly, the direction indicator pointed towards the first exit, and the voice command was 'turn left - take the 3rd exit'

I have noticed this on My TTN6 but because I have gone by the command and checked map correct, but postive in my own mind voice wrong cannot verify.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post,apologies
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used McGuider for several months now and have noticed several instances of a correct route map display accompanied by incorrect voice instructions, always at traffic islands. I've no way of knowing if this is down to faulty mapping or McGuider's interpretation of the mapping. This is a shame as otherwise I find McGuider very adequate for purpose.
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using McGuider for the last couple of weeks and have run it against Tomtom 7 and Garmin XT 5.

Honest opinion is:

McGuider has some quirks, but that could be just me having been using Tomtom for years.....but overall I like the interface, re-routing very fast.

Maps - Certainly in my area I cannot fault them, they knock spots off Tomtom and Garmin. The McGuider maps even had a couple of Roundabouts and 2 new roads that only became active 4 months ago.

Tomtom has'nt even got some of the roundabouts that have been here for 5yrs +

I really like it and find I am using it more and more and the quirks are nearly non existent now.

Could do with some new voice files, I really like my Joanne Lumley and can't live without her :-)

Managed to sort out the conversion of speed cams and the voice warning files, so thats another quirk out of the way.

for the price I dont think you can fault it. And so far dealing with the suppliers by email has been great, very responsive to my questions.

I hear there is an update in the wind, so will be interesting to see if they listen to their customers.

Overall I would give this a personal 7/10 and I think its gonna give Tomtom a good run for its money.......they just need to remember that customers are important...listen to them.....Unlike Tomtom.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent a week around Poole and Bournemouth, I had chance to test McGuider in an area I wasn't fully aware of this week. I've still got no major complaints regarding the mapping and routing, alhough I did come across a couple of mapping errors (eg being advised to turn left or right when the road went round a corner)
I did come find one annoying application error though. When I had the system running for a couple of hours, quite often the audio stopped with no warning. The only way I could restore audio was to close McGuider and then start it again. I will be reporting this to Sygic later today to see if they have any possible solutions.
pukka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Mcguider for a month now. so far very impressed. had tomtom before. i have had no problem with the routing. takes about 8 seconds on my phone to reroute. interface is nice to work with. took a little while to get the POI's and speed camera working :D

Paul
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to my further comments on McGuider...... For the last few weeks I have been running this side by side with:

Navigon 7
Nokia Maps
Garmin XT 5
CoPilot 7

My honest opinion is that this has the makings of a top class piece of Sat Nav software IF they listen to the users and correct some of the quirks. Map wise you cannot fault them, the maps in my area, are certainly far far more up to date than any of the other software I am running.

Roads and Roundabouts that have only been open 4 months are clearly shown and navigated via on McGuider, non of the others know they exist.

Fingers crossed that McGuider/Sygic DO listen to users and act on this information given to them, and end up with a first class piece of software.

Graeme
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanzauk wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using the latest McGuider.

You can use the tomtom OV2 Consolidated Camera database but needs to be converted to the McGuider .UPI format. once converted the files need to be copied to the map\GBR folder.

You can change the Icons by copying the Icon files to res\icons I found the 22 x 22 256bit Icons worked the best.

Dave

I've just purchased McGuider 2009 and I am having problems converting my Tom Tom POIs. I must be doing something stupid as I've used v2.3 of OV2Upi translator to convert my Tom Tom POI's into a .upi file. I've moved this to my Maps\GBR folder as these are UK POI's. I've put the icon in the Res\ICONS folder. I can see and select the POI category in the show/hide POIs section, but nothing shows on the map, and I can't find the POI's when I am searching. Has anyone any ideas of where I am going wrong?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the icons 8bit files or 24 bit? Most modern graphical packages use 24bit but this will cause issues with McGuider which only support 8bit (and according to Sygic 32bit with Alpha channel too)? To find out right click one of the icon files and choose properties. The details tab usually tells you the colour depth.

If you still have any problems let me know. I have 2008 and should hopefully have 2009 tomorrow (assuming UPS deliver).
MavAV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Are the icons 8bit files or 24 bit? Most modern graphical packages use 24bit but this will cause issues with McGuider which only support 8bit (and according to Sygic 32bit with Alpha channel too)?

I've used both 8 bit icons and 32 bit icons (converted from one of the 32 bit icons in the \Res\ICONS folder). Both of the icon types showed up in the list of POI's but not on the map.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of potentially silly questions now (I hope 7.7 is the same as I am using 7.5 to get the steps)..

1. Have you enable the POIs to display them on the map (Main Menu - Manage POI - Show/hide POIs)?
2. For Camera Alerts (or even other POI you want to be notified about) have you enabled the warnings (Main Menu - Manage POI - Enable warn near POI)?

In 7.5 I found searching for POI to be particularly hit and miss. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: