Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatMap Bike Mount Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatMap Bike Mount Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: SatMap Bike Mount Problem Reply with quote

I've just fitted the bike mount and when tightening with the supplied allen key
the metal has sheared/rounded. I made sure that the allen key was inserted fully but it's almost as though the bolts are made from a very soft metal.

I've managed to tighten it to an acceptable level but i'll have no chance getting it off now.

Anyone else experienced this?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SatMap Bike Mount Problem Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
I've just fitted the bike mount and when tightening with the supplied allen key the metal has sheared/rounded. I made sure that the allen key was inserted fully but it's almost as though the bolts are made from a very soft metal. I've managed to tighten it to an acceptable level but i'll have no chance getting it off now. Anyone else experienced this?
That's surprising. My experience has been that I haven't had to tighten the centre hugely to get a firm enough grip from the strap; mind you, I do like to be able to move the unit by hand on the 'bars, to reduce the reflection on the screen. It is important though to turn the bolt in the correct direction. The strap must be tensioned up between the body of the clamp and the 'bar and not around the outside of the centre bolt. There are markings on the ends of the bolt to indicate which direction to turn the Allen key - it makes a difference if you are tightening on the left or the right. Could you get a ball ended Allen key onto the opposite end of the centre bolt or is it too tight against the stem?
Hillechien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: How do I get the bike mount off again? Reply with quote

I put mine on a slight bent on the handlebar, and therefore it sat not tight enough. The satmap started to move and hang down.
So, I decided to put it at a better place... but, there seemed to be no way to remove the bike mount again, so I cut it loose with a knife.

I am really disappointed! I planned to use the bike mount also on other bicycles, like rented ones, but that does not seem to be possible.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get the bike mount off again? Reply with quote

Hillechien wrote:
I put mine on a slight bent on the handlebar, and therefore it sat not tight enough. The satmap started to move and hang down.
So, I decided to put it at a better place... but, there seemed to be no way to remove the bike mount again, so I cut it loose with a knife.

I am really disappointed! I planned to use the bike mount also on other bicycles, like rented ones, but that does not seem to be possible.

Oh don't say that....I'm soon to put the thing on my summer bike after a lifetime on the winter one. Have you checked the fitting instruction PDF on the website?

Failing that a spare mount can be bought for £12ish so you can quickly swap between bikes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do I get the bike mount off again? Reply with quote

Hillechien wrote:

Why is there 'no way to remove the bike mount'? I just reversed the installation process to remove mine?
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but, there seemed to be no way to remove the bike mount again, so I cut it loose with a knife.

I have removed mine several times. You need to turn the Allen key bolt in the opposite direction to the arrow. Turn the Allen key slowly whilst pulling the mount away from the bars. The strap passes through a slot in the tightening mechanism this need to be in line with the slot in the mount to enable the strap to be removed. You may need to turn the Allen bolt back the other way slightly to get the slot in the correct place.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a standard "ClickFix" mount so you should be able to get a spare one from a cycle shop.

I found that I already had a suitable mount fitted to my bike as it is the same as my map holder
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnjackson wrote:
Quote:
but, there seemed to be no way to remove the bike mount again, so I cut it loose with a knife.

I have removed mine several times. You need to turn the Allen key bolt in the opposite direction to the arrow. Turn the Allen key slowly whilst pulling the mount away from the bars. The strap passes through a slot in the tightening mechanism this need to be in line with the slot in the mount to enable the strap to be removed. You may need to turn the Allen bolt back the other way slightly to get the slot in the correct place.

If you look closely at the allen bolt, there is a little arrow and another mark on the casing. If you line these up, its easy to pull the strap though

Peter
Hillechien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will see whether I can still get the strap out and repair it. Otherwise I will have to get a replacement.
Ah, well, I got my bike mount for free as a special offer here in the Netherlands, together with the Satmap itself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: