Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Which Sat Nav? Reply with quote

Hi, I hope you can help me. I know there is a lot of info out there but I'm finding that there is too much to take in and understand in such a short time.

My TomTom 720 was faulty and I returned it to the retailer for replacement. They got back to me and said that as they didn't have any stock they would have to issue a refund. The 'silver line' is that I bought it last year so my refund is £280!

So I need a replacement. My first thought was to get another 720 but then I found that the 730 is out.

The bad news is that the bluetooth remote that I bought as an accessory for my 720 doesn't work with the 730.

So I've started looking at other makes such as

Nuvi 760T
Sony NV-U93T
TomTom 720 or T
TomTom 730 or T

How do TomTom, Garmin and Sony compare in terms of mapping accuracy and ease of use, updates etc?

What about Traffic - I've had Sat Navs for 3 years now and never had Traffic. Is it any good - I get the impression that coverage and reception is patchy and unreliable. Any opinions?

Speed cameras. Most say that they come pre-loaded but then say there is a subscription. I assume that the subscription is to get updates is that correct? And can I use the service from here instead or am I tied to the manufacturer?

Previously bluetooth hands-free has been a big seller for me but my next car (about to be ordered) will have bluetooth integration. I'm also not bothered about MP3 playback, phot albums, FM transmitters, iPod connectivity etc. Should I be looking at lesser models?

On the map front, Europe is nice but I can't see a need for US.

And finally, how can I tell what version of maps they ship with. I find the manufacturer sites rather vague.

I'd appreciate hearing your views. For example I assume that the TT 730 has newer maps than the TT 720 but I can't find anything to confirm or deny this.

Cheers,

Nigel
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, who says the Bluetooth remote from the 720 doesn't work with the 730? I'm sure MikeAlder confirmed that it does work.

I tried a NUVI for a weekend and took it back. Pure personal preference - compared with TT I just hated the display and interface. The test is to go into a shop and ask to have a play with them all.

Traffic is quite hit and miss. With all my mileage, I'd LOVE to have it, but it has never yet come up to the mark, so I'm sticking with BBC Radio Five live on MW 693 or 909 for the time being

Speed cameras pre-installed is a marketed feature. The installation will be as out of date as when they were factory installed, so they WILL be out of date. TomTom will give you a free update when you first connect to their website via you PC, but my own experience is that even the update is inaccurate and anyway doesn't include mobile cameras. After the first "update", it'll cost you for an annual subscription. With NUVI and TomTom you can certainly use the PGPSW database and we strongly believe the manufacturer's databases cannot stand beside it. Ours is certainly cheaper than TomTom's and I understand that's true of NUVI too. Argument in our favour HERE.

If you've been used to a TomTom, you'll probably find a new one comfortable and getting that refund puts you well on the way to the price of a new 730 (Europe, not US).

Whatever you get should have the most recent maps, but that could vary with how long they've been in stock and how frequently they issue new maps. You can't tell which map they've got until you get home and even then you may find it difficult to learn what version is the latest. Asking on this website will be a good move. TomTom have their "Latest Map Guarantee" which should get you the latest map when you connect to their website (it has been farcically poor service, but most people get success eventually). Certainly, the TT 730 does have more recent maps than the 720. But it also has improved features too, some of which depend on having that later map version (but they've already released another map for it, which isn't on the ones in stock at retailers).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, who says the Bluetooth remote from the 720 doesn't work with the 730? I'm sure MikeAlder confirmed that it does work.

I think you are referring to the this post

You will see that it has been updated with my recent findings - I visited Halfords with my bluetooth remote and failed to get the 730 to recognise it.

From Mike's initial statement I was prepared to think I had made a mistake and try again but since then Mike's responses suggest that he has never tried it so doesn't have any hard facts that it does work just an assumption that it should.

I have also had a second and slightly more helpful conversation with TomTom. They concluded that it might work and might not, they didn't know. They suggested that I go to a shop and try it out (I hadn't told them about my Halfords experience). When I asked them "why don't TomTom try it out" they told me that they didn't have the facilities!!!

If my remote worked with the 730 I would be getting that without question. As it is I'm a bit loathed to enter into TomTom's game of buying new accessories each time I upgrade.

Cheers,

Nigel
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me - I edited your post to tidy the link to fit the page easier.

You'll see the post has continued and the indications are more in favour of the remote working than not. It is difficult of course to spend a morning in Halfords testing until you get a 730 which works with it!! But if I were going that route, I'd do just that - after all, if you wave your cash and assure them you intend to walk out with one in a Halfords bag, they should be prepared to go that extra yard.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: