Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's the point of giving feedback
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the point of giving feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: What's the point of giving feedback Reply with quote

I have been submitting issues I know exsist on the Q2 2008 map release and getting very annoyed when the calls are closed with this status

"No Change Necessary - Database Reflects Reality"

Anyone else find that problems you report seem to go ignored, even when providing evidence from 'google maps' which shows the differences.

I'm really starting to wonder what is the point in reporting errors or even buying maps... it's time you should be able to check if an eror has been fixed 'BEFORE' you buy the new map release.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending map fault details to Garmin is usually a waste of time.
Sending fault details to NavTech has worked on three occassions for one Garmin update mapping, for me.

My changes were reflected within 12 months.

Some other changes I requested were the fault of how Garmin software interperates the NavTech map.

i.e. All unpaved roads were seen as national speed limit roads!! All traffic from the Fishguard Ferry Port to the M4 were taken on a scenic road instead of the normal A40/M4.

The Garmin iQue had problems with CityNavigator v8 Non-NT and Garmin produced a software update to correct it.

Give an example of your known faults, to see if it a 'unit' problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this a couple of weeks ago for a report 3-4 months previous:

Quote:
Thank you for your recent Map Report. We have completed our investigation of your Map Report.

For the NAVTEQ tracking number: xxxxxxxx
Submitted on : 11, Mar 2008 08:18:17
Problem Description: This entry slip road was covered up about 5 years ago in a bid to stop people racing down from Thornton Road onto Rhodesway via the slip road. Entry is now via the sharper turn 500yd further east so traffic must slow down to enter the residential area.

Our Resolution Outcome is: Database Updated - Intersection Coding
Details: Based on field verification, the reported intersection has been adjusted in the NAVTEQ database.

For more details, proceed to your Map Report at http://mapreporter.navteq.com

NAVTEQ delivers regularly scheduled map updates to our business partners which include database enhancements. The commercial release dates for these products will vary depending on each business partner’s product plans. If your Map Report did not result in a database change, please note that we track these items and evaluate them with our business partners on a regular basis to enhance navigation system performance.

Having the latest map in your system makes a difference to system performance with the latest roads, addresses and Points of Interest. If you are interested in an updated map for your navigation system, please contact your system provider or check our online store at http://store.navteq.com.

We welcome your feedback on the NAVTEQ Map. Thank you for helping to keep the NAVTEQ Map the most accurate and highest quality in the business.

Regards,
The NAVTEQ Map Reporter Team

it does work... all i can think of is there wasn't enough detail in the report?

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it does work... all i can think of is there wasn't enough detail in the report?

Or someone's beaten you to it?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have submitted various different reports. One that really shocked and annoyed me is when I submitted a change to the street my Brother in Law lives on (Malthouse Road in Ilkeston).

The maps incorrectly show the road coming to an end, and not the reality that the estate has been extended and 'loops' back on itself. Within minutes of submitting the report the status came back as 'closed' no map changes required. Even though Google Maps show the extended road.

I understand that it could have already been added to a 'pending' map update but wouldn't it be easier to state something along these lines.

i.e. "We are 'already' aware of this change and will be added to future map releases" instead of the 'No Changes needed' as we can only access the maps shown in the web which 'should' match the GPS maps (assuming the GPS is updated).

Also I submitted 2 different Road Speed changes where the Navigon reported a road at 60Mph instead of the 40Mph that it's been reduced too but Navteq also simply seemed to say that was correct. Which leaves me wondering 'who' (Navteq or Navigon) are responsible for ensuring the correct road speeds are reported.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me some time to find the location but it appears to be:-

N52.95565 W1.30467

The most up to date Garmin mapping software does not reflect the extension on this road as Google does!

I would say that this would have to be 2 to 3 years old for Garmin to show it!

NavTech has to supply the details to Garmin and the 2009 version must be nearly complete!

You can always go to Garmin's Website and check what you are buying!

This 'ommission, is not major as it is still a 'dead end'!
Even I could find Malthouse Road and would be able to navigate to it! Very Happy
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

This 'ommission, is not major as it is still a 'dead end'!
Even I could find Malthouse Road and would be able to navigate to it! Very Happy

I agree.. not a show stopper, but my point is how quick they were to dismiss that the map was shown wrong.
I'm sure if you lived on the extended part of the road you wouldn't be happy to have a sat nav which refuses to take you to your front door.

As you have also proved, a simple check on Google Maps shows the correct road layout and it would seem Navteq didn't even bother doing that.

I'm still waiting for a major change to a traffic island to be dealt with and I'll feedback on what the outcome is as they can't ignore the fact a lane of traffic now cuts through the middle of the island.

Also any idea how we get Navteq to improve Lane Assistant information on the maps. One of the main reasons I got a Navigon 8110 was for the Lane Assistance which has been lacking due to poor map information in my area. Even London doesn't have comprehensive Lane information that I would have expected.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
As you have also proved, a simple check on Google Maps shows the correct road layout and it would seem Navteq didn't even bother doing that.

but why should navteq assume that their competitors maps are always correct?!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: