Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Yet Another "Which One" ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another "Which One" ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarvist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Yet Another "Which One" ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on which solution to go for! I've been reading these forums for some time now and have a few questions ... so bear with me ;-)

I have a PocketPC based phone which has GPS built in, and a pretty much unlimited GPRS package. However I want to get the solution which is best fit.

I will require:

* Decent routing, with good rerouting and avoid features.
    * Live Traffic information, either GPRS or Broadcast Traffic Info.
    * Speed/Safety Camera database ... I've used PGPSW one before it became subscription and it's great. So will be subscribing ... although currently use it via the MoDaCo CamerAware application.

So ... my current choices are:

TomTom Navigator 6 for Pocket PC
    CoPilot Live 7
    or a stand-alone PND device

TomTom Navigator 6 for Pocket PC:
I'm familiar with the TomTom application, but would also include the plus services for weather and traffic etc. But I am concerned that TomTom seem to be withdrawing from the PocketPC arena. It seems that Navigator 7 is ROM embedded, which would be prohibitive for me as I run a custom ROM. Also maps are not likely to be updated much more for the Version 6 product.

1) Is TomTom 6 for the Pocket PC a wise investment at present?

CoPilot Live 7
New software ... good support. From this perspective I would choose this application. But I've heard the routing isnt fantastic, or as good as TomTom. Good live system, with the traffic and messaging. But can't create custom POIs.

2) Is the Custom POI issue going to be a problem if I have the Speed Camera Database loaded and use LiveSearch feature for the rest of the POI's I wish to search for?
3) Any news when the TTS is likely to be released?

Stand-alone PDN

I realise that this is the best solution for most people. However I'm loathed to get a new device since I have all the features available in my phone. Plus if I got a stand alone I'd have to still use the phone for the GPRS connection.

Positive points for a standalone solution are "TomTom to ipod" connectivity, bluetooth handsfree, updating maps, newest features. I do like the idea of having the tomtom connected to the aux in of the stereo, and the ipod connected to the tomtom. Means all sounds come from the stereo, and that I can control all devices from one screen!

4) How good/useful is the TomTom iPod connectivity?
5) I understand the TomTom doesn't support the iPod Touch. Is this true, or is the FAQ out of date?
6) Is the bluetooth handsfree any good, or better to get a normal handsfree solution?

General questions:
7) How often are maps updated? I've seen friends TomTom systems where the maps are still out of date and not showing roundabouts that have been in place for years.
8) Europe / UK maps? Are the Europe maps less detailed than the UK specific ones?
9) Will TomTom's purchase of Teleatlas have much of a bearing on the frequency of map updates?
10) I like the idea of TTS ... but is the implementation of it very good?
11) Of those who have TT6 and CoPilot 7 which product have you stuck with ... and why?

Sorry for the heap of questions ... my head is in a whirl at the moment and I can't see the wood for the trees!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers

T
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another generic answer.....

First

Welcome

If I was in your position I would not be looking at PDA based solution. I used to run TT6 on DELL AXIM but the maps were out of date, had inaccuracies in my locality (e.g. trying to route me down a track that is officially a footpath). You will be able to get new TT on WM phone(s) but it is locked to specific phone models - OK if you like the phone I guess.

I decided to go for an All-in-one solution and went with a GARMIN nuvi 660 which offered me all I needed and was a lot neater (physical packaging) that the then current TT devices.

I think it fair to say that the current nuvi and TT range offer very similar functionality and packaging. It really all comes down to the way you want to use them. The operation of them is different - the menu structure defining the method of using them comes from different approaches by the designers. The best way is to pop into a local supplier and have a good look and play with equivalents from both manufacturers.

That said. For most units... BT phone connectivity is a bit hit and miss. Newer phones seem to be less well supported. You will get handsfree to work but SMS and contact updates tend to be less well supported with the newer phones. TMC is generally better with a phone connection as the RDS signals in UK tend to be low level and to get best reception you need a connection to an external aerial. This (connection to amplified car aerial) is what I do and I get very good coverage with TMC on the nuvi.

I can't comment on the iPod connectivity specifically.
Jarvist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thank you for my comments. I've just been reading the TomTom930 and Nuvi 760 comparison thread.

I'd rather hoped to continue using my pda phone, as it is all ready to go. But I just don't think they have the ongoing support and functionality these days.
gekko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN6 is not the way to go. It is abandoned by TomTom, thus the maps are old. It can not calculate ETA properly (and thus is poor in calculating the correct "fastest route").

Have a look at iG0 8 or Automapa 5. They both seem to deliver much more than TTN6.
boyracerbert
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a follow up question about map updates

What is the best solution if I want to stay as current as poss with my maps?
I'm thinking of replacing my aging device running TTN5 with an up to date PDN probably a TT. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that updating to TTN6 is a waste of time and money.
If I go for the most up to date (930?), is there any gaurentee that I will be able to upgrade my maps in 12-18 months time?
TT One XL WE
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the major benefits for the TomTom range has been map updates that work with the older devices, you could have an early Go device and still use the latest mapping, also remember the maps cost money but the application software (including updates) are free.

Do you really need the 930 though, if you don't need USA mapping consider the 730 or 530 if all you want in UK coverage - Mike
boyracerbert
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Mike.

Having had a chance to look around and visit Halfords (thought it would be full of teenagers looking for ICE and aftermarket add ons, but actually surprisingly helpful!), I'm coming to the conclusion that a TT one xl with European mapping might be the way to go.

Would you agree that if all I'm interested in is a decent gps system with full W Europe mapping, that the one xl is adaquate? I can't see what the extra funtionalities of a GO might offer.
TT One XL WE
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't require the unit to act as a hands free device for the phone, mp3 player, FM transmitter then the Europe One XL will serve you well, its a decent device with the all important SD card slot which is disappearing from more and more devices restricting what an owner can put on the units in way of maps. Have a read through This from last year when they were first released, I am still using mine on a regular basis along with the other units I have - Mike
boyracerbert
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - useful article on the One XL
Think I might raid ther piggy bank and head to Halfords!!
TT One XL WE

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: