Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Major TomTom Postcode/Address Software Error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Major TomTom Postcode/Address Software Error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Major TomTom Postcode/Address Software Error Reply with quote

This has been bugging me for some time now, is happening more often and has not been corrected by the latest map updates.

What I am about to describe may already have been mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but I couldn't find it.

The problem seems to occur when you have two roads with the same name in the same post town area. You in put the correct post code for the road you want to go to, its name comes up at the top of the list, you select it and TomTom finds the correct location. However if you do the same, but then enter the house number TomTom can on occasions direct you incorrectly to another road with the same name, (but different postcode) in the same post town area. This seems to happen most often when the house number is either not recognised or no house numbers available.

This is not just a one off, it has happened time and time again to myself and some of my colleagues all over the UK. We are quite intensive users of TomTom One, entering up to 60 different addresses per day, but I can't believe this hasn't happened to other users. Only last week a colleague was sent 12 miles off route one day, then 6 the next, both times due to the error mentioned above.

The only way to check this isn't happening is to enter the postcode with and without the house number to see if the location differs.

Here is one example.....

Enter BS2 9ED for Great George St in Bristol (next to Wade St in BS2) then enter house no 12, and the location is given as Great George St in BS1 off Park St 1.5 miles away.

There are many more.

Would appreciate thoughts/experiences of other users.

Multidrop.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried diferent suppliers of navigation applications two that imeadiatly spring to mine are iGO and diections navigator 7 as both allow multiple addresses also iGO will optimize on the fly

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems stupid to me. Having two streets by the same name. I've tried it on Auto route 2008, and on Google maps, but it can't separate them.

it must be something to do with the area, one's called "St Augustines" the other is "St Judes". that's the only difference i can see.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Major TomTom Postcode/Address Software Error Reply with quote

Multidrop wrote:
Enter BS2 9ED for Great George St in Bristol (next to Wade St in BS2) then enter house no 12, and the location is given as Great George St in BS1 off Park St 1.5 miles away.
That is weird!! I must remember this as Great George Street off Park Street always gives me grief when I want to go there. It also has postcode BS2 9EG. It does seem to show house numbers, whereas the other Gt George St seems to have no numbers.

It's not stupid to have two streets by the same name, just a fact of life - take any decent sized city which has "Area names" and you'll find it has a zillion High Streets - Try Autoroute with High Street, Bristol.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that limitation, it WILL take you to the correct place if you leave out the number.

A workaround would be to either leave out the house number and look for it when you arrive or navigate to place on map and click pointer on appropriate place.

Not ideal I know and in a perfect world we shouldn't need to have a workaround, but we don't live in a perfect world do we?
Multidrop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many more examples of TomTom doing this. Great George St was the first that came to mind. This regularly happens when you enter the house number on a road on a new estate that has been extended with new numbers. TT says only numbers up to say 56 then directs you to the wrong road with the same name. Surely TT should have tested for these kind of flaws in their programming before release? In the worst case an inexperienced user who is not aware of this flaw in the software ends up knocking on the wrong door.... or delivering to the wrong address. I know TomTom is only a "navigation aid" but this is in my opinion a major software flaw - entering the correct postcode and being incorrectly directed somewhere else. Perhaps one of the moderators of this site who has the ear of TT could mention it to them. I have tried submitting via mapshare to no avail. Another unrelated road name error is Ashgrove Road in BS6, which is wrongly confused with Hampton Park BS6 the list goes on...

Another gripe is the latest maps. In some cases roads that were named on the last map are now "unnamed roads"! Is this because they have not yet been updated by mapshare? I notice a TT One V2 device running older maps has more updates than TT One V3 with the latest map released the other day. Many roads on new estates that were named are now showing "unnamed road". Very frustrating! Makes me think all the data entered for the old maps will have to be re-entered for the new maps....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multidrop wrote:

Another gripe is the latest maps. In some cases roads that were named on the last map are now "unnamed roads"! Is this because they have not yet been updated by mapshare? I notice a TT One V2 device running older maps has more updates than TT One V3 with the latest map released the other day. Many roads on new estates that were named are now showing "unnamed road". Very frustrating! Makes me think all the data entered for the old maps will have to be re-entered for the new maps....

That's very likely.
As we have discovered, TomTom were telling porkies when they said that Mapshare corrections would be included in new maps.
EVERY Mapshare correction I've made so far has had to be re-done when I've bought a new map.

Incidentally, you can check if it's only due to Mapshare that the names are on your old map. In the Correction preferences, you can temporarily switch off each category of Mapshare corrections and see if the name disappears.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: