Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sheared D-ring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheared D-ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteM01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Sheared D-ring Reply with quote

Hi. I was closing the battery compartment on my Satmap but the D-ring has sheared off, leaving piece of metal inside the post that turns the locking pins. Now I cannot get this piece of metal out or close the compartment, rendering the Satmap pretty useless. Has anyone else had this problem? Do Satmap have a good repair/replacement policy? I will contact them on Monday but does anyone have a temporrary fix that won't cause any more damage?

Cheers,
Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from securing the battery compartment with an elastic band? Is it the post that is stuck inside or the cross pins?

Either way, the only solution will be to open the unit if it's truly stuck and that is a job best done by Satmap.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything of the assembly that is sticking out that you can grip with pliers?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me the first time I used it. I took it back to the dealer and they swapped the back for me. It seems to be a weak point in the design of the unit.

Suggest you take yours back too as SatMap need to be aware of this weakness.
PeteM01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have managed to remove the piece of metal with wire and can just about close the compartment now. It should be OK for my weekend walking trip but changing batteries whilst outdoors is now unreliable. Not sure if I just need a new D-ring or a whole compartment door - I will see what Satmap say. Unfortunate timing as I have just been impressed with the company for geting the firmware upgrade card to me very rapidly after I requested it!
Cheers, Pete
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you will need a new rear door for the device as you cannot change the pin, as for batteries, put a new set of Energizer Lithiums in the device and it should last you for more than a full days walking - Mike
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem on my early model no 144. I rang Satmap and they gave me their special freepost address. I sent it on a monday but in view of its cost insured it at the post office for £5 . Got it back 7am 4 days later repaired , updated case and new Screen and a nice personal letter
Cant do much better than that
PeteM01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

My temporary solution to the D-ring loss was to use a large paperclip, inserted through the locking pillar. This has been so successful, I have not bothered reporting it to Satmap! The paperclip lies flat against the casing until needed and is a much better handle than the original ring - much easier to turn.

Also on a positive note, I used the A10 for a 9 hour walk in the lakes at the weekend and it performed very well. The battery indicator (using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA's) finally fell to two bars only when perusing the track long after the walk finished. I used screen off after 15s, 70% backlight. No freezing, rapid satellite acquisition on the move even after accidentally shutting the unit off mid-walk......pretty perfect performance, in fact.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: