Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 730T Teething problems - TTS & Latest Map Guarantee Issu
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

730T Teething problems - TTS & Latest Map Guarantee Issu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: 730T Teething problems - TTS & Latest Map Guarantee Issu Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been covered, I did have a look but could not find anything.

I've just received my 730T today and have come across some problems.

Firstly, I see there is a new map update according to the TT website with version 8.05 now available. My 730 is pre-loaded with v8.00, and when I ran HOME and Latest Map Guarantee, it said that the Latest Map Guarantee doesn't apply to the map I have installed (v8.00), which I thought was strange.

Secondly, my device didn't come with ANY voices pre-installed at all. I had to download them from the CD however there NOT the TTS voices (just the simple turn left, turn right etc) and I can't find the TTS files anywhere on the TT website, via HOME, or on the disc that came with the device.

Where could I get the TTS voices, and is the this latest map guarantee issue a historical one?

I'm reserving judgement on an opinion of this device until I can get it up and running fully.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have been discussed in detail

TT seem to be standing firm on the *30 are excluded from the map guaranteee upgrade issues, but hoping for a change of attitude when they reopen on Tuesday,

Plug your *30 into Home navigate to the Add Maps Voices etc, navigate to page three and you can add the computer voices from there.
Traffic Via GPRS Data
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same trouble with the Latest Map Guarantee. I will be calling support tomorrow.

The main arguments to use to support a claim for the map upgrade are the TomTom press release of May 8 which includes it as a feature, and the box that the730T canme in has the map guarantee in the list of features printed on the back.

I am surprised that you cannot a cannot use a combination of recorded and synthesised voices (i.e. if you choose a recorded voice, you can't have any of the synthesised announcements).

My biggest gripe about using the device is the pathetic built-in speaker (compared to my old Navman). I haven't tried it in the e-type yet, but I don't expect to hear much.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am having the same trouble with the Latest Map Guarantee. I will be calling support tomorrow.

Dont bother its a bank holiday in Holland the Support deak is Shut till Tuesday

Quote:
I am surprised that you cannot a cannot use a combination of recorded and synthesised voices (i.e. if you choose a recorded voice, you can't have any of the synthesised announcements).

You Can-- if you select a Recorded voice you will get a message screen offering you the chance to select a TTS Voice to read alound messages
Traffic Via GPRS Data
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
You Can-- if you select a Recorded voice you will get a message screen offering you the chance to select a TTS Voice to read alound messages

Does this apply to the 720 as well? I'm sure if I choose the recorded voice at that stage, it is selected for everything. I'll have to try it again when I get home.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Tomtom support first thing this morning, and spoke with a helpful american woman, who passed the query about Latest Map Guarantee for the 730 to their technical team. I shortly received an email:
Quote:

Regarding our converation earlier today. I have looked into this for you and was advised that at the moment our server for the latest map is being investgated by our technical team.
Please try again in a few days.
We appologise for this inconvenience and hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

At least my request is now in their logs.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice issue is on all of them as currently shipped - display models in stores are being plugged in without voices installed. Sad

I hope you get TTS voices working.

Just another note - try out bluetooth - it didn't work at all on a 730 i tried.
Old_salt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my TT Go 730T yesterday, so far the bluetooth is working with my mobile with no problem. I have not used TTS for SMS as yet. The mapping is not up to date as a new road that has been in use for a least 2 years is not on the map. A strange thing seems to afflict the 730T, it turns itself on all by is self? I have sent a question to TT support late this afternoon, no reply yet.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
I called Tomtom support first thing this morning, and spoke with a helpful american woman, who passed the query about Latest Map Guarantee for the 730 to their technical team. I shortly received an email:
Quote:

Regarding our converation earlier today. I have looked into this for you and was advised that at the moment our server for the latest map is being investgated by our technical team.
Please try again in a few days.
We appologise for this inconvenience and hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

At least my request is now in their logs.

Well thats strange, because when I called today they told me to log in to "My Questions History" (which it won't let me do, it just keeps refreshing the screen) and send a copy of my recept before they can take the issue further.
Rolling Eyes
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call TT support US, they will tell you the site link for the map guarantee is broken, but it should be back up "by the weekend". Don't believe it. They said the same thing last week. Simply insist on the update. I was denied at first, asked for a supervisor who immediately agree to the update at no charge. Put him on the spot with the EU map and agreed to it as well. Don't allow them to put you off by suggesting to check back in TT Home in a couple of days. I suspect it still will not be working. The wording of the map guarantee return text leaves much to be desired. (The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map installed in your device) I'm sure that most new owners, especially those new to TomTom, will just accept the statement as fact, and forget about the update, assuming they even know about it. If TomTom truly had good intentions to honor the map guarantee, it would be simple enough to add it to the OTHER updates they make you aware of when you log in. How is a new owner even supposed to know there is a new map to begin with. TomTom is not going to tell you without calling support directly. But they'll be happy to sell you one, even if you're still in your 30 day window. By the way, they requested my receipt, which I faxed them. Three days later, they said they never received it, or perhaps it never got logged to my account if they did. Instead they asked for my serial number and added the map based on it, no receipt required.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I still have 29 days left of my map guarantee so they can't say I never raised the issue in enough time.

The chap I spoke to was nice, and did sound like he'd heard all this (map guarantee issue) quite a few times already today.

The requested info, plus as much additional info as I could think of has been sent back so I'll wait and see what their reply is.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:

Quote:

An update on this...
Calomax asked if it was available on the 720, and I was 99% certain it wasn't on the x20 models.

But all this time, I had been misinterpreting the annoying "nag screen" that pops up whenever you select a recorded voice.
That screen reads: "You have selected a recorded human voice. Human voices cannot read messages or warnings aloud to you. Would you like to choose a computer voice for reading messages aloud?"

I thought it just meant it would switch EVERYTHING back to a computer/TTS voice, but it doesn't... The navigation instructions do stay as the recorded human voice!

Just goes to show, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. I'd always missed the calm tones of "Tim" since opting for a TTS voice, now I can go back to him. Smile
alrobbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, hello all. Been here a while spending my time learning all about GPS & PNAs!

Secondly, with reference to the latest map updates, after taking delivery of a GO 520 yesterday, the only option through home was v715. I sent an email and got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Currently, Our Latest Map Guarantee Server is undergoing maintenance. This will mean that you will not be able to download your Latest Map and Safety Camera updates.

Please bear with us while maintenance is carried out. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I haven't had the time to ring them yet, but is this another of their favourite fob off's or are they just updating the system to offer v720? (one can live in hope... Smile)
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that they might have a problem with their server logic if they intend that x20 devices get the latest v7xx map and x30 devices get the latest v8xx map.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I had been doing exactly the same as you regarding the combination of voices.

I was sticking with Tim only but now I'm him for navigation & Simon. for the rest.

That "nag screen" is very misleading.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: