Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map Guarantee, Map v720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map Guarantee, Map v720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Latest Map Guarantee, Map v720 Reply with quote

Now that v720 maps are out, has anybody got one via Latest Map Guarantee?

I got a ONE 3rd Edition as a free accessory with my new Renault van. I bought the van on 12th March, but the ONE came separately by post and I got it on 24th April. I kept it away from TT Home for a week, but even then didn't go for any updates, hoping a v8 map would be released. When the 720 maps were released this week, I decided that v8 was not going to be released during my LMG period, so I went to get the v720.

In TomTom Home I selected Latest Map Guarantee and it said I can have one free. But when I go for it, the detail says v715, not v720 (if I go to BUY one, I'm offered v720, NOT v715!!). Set a ticket off with TT asking for latest map, v720. Told them it's device handed out as accessory with new van. They asked for proof of purchase of new van, I attached scan of invoice for £9,500+ BUT in my message told them (in block capitals) that the device didn't come with the van (invoice dated 12th March), but separately and not until 24th April. They replied I've had the device more than a month so I don't get a Latest Map Guarantee. I replied I told you I didn't get it until 24th April. They now reply that they want me to prove I got it on 24th April - I can't - I had to sign for it, but not in a book, on a card which has been sent off to head office - if I can tell Royal Mail the tracking number, they can provide a copy of my signature with date and time. I didn't send it, Renault did, so I have no idea of tracking number.

SO - is there anybody out there who has received v720 map under Latest Map Guarantee? Have TomTom not yet put those map details into LMG?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my dad a 720t in mid April

can't access the latest map as it says I have the latest all ready...it came with 715 and I can BUY 720.

So far I have sent 4 copies of the purchase invoice to tomtom who are totally useless - I was about to buy either a 720 or 730t for myself but to be honest they are so poor to deal with having 2nd thoughts.
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I've had a case open wit TomTom since you guys put the news up about the latest Map Release. I purchased my G0720 on 19th April. I've sent them scanned receipt and received the following update yesterday. LMG still tells me I have the latest map (currently v715).

Quote:
Dear ,

Thanks for sending the requested information. I am in the process of requesting that the latest map is assigned your account but we have become aware of new information that might have some bearing on your issue:

We have been experiencing issues with the TomTom server and latest maps have not been offered to customers trying to activate their latest map guarantee. We are advising customers to try again over the next couple of days.

Please attempt to activate the latest map guarantee again and let me know if it is successfull. If it is not we can still assign the latest map to your account.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards

(named removed)

TomTom Customer Support

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Please note that on Monday 12th May, we are closed for business due to the Public Holidays in the Netherlands where we are based. We are open for business from Tuesday the 13th May onwards. This will mean that we may be unable to respond to you within the next few days.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye Gods and little fishes!! They closed for our Bank Holiday, but an extra day earlier, and now for their Bank Holiday.

Still, it at least explains the stupid "press-the-button" keyword answers. Do you know, I honestly (yes, honestly) believed their customer support for UK was actually in the UK. But they're not, so they look for a keyword and shoot off answers numbers 14, 23 and 26. I honestly (yes, honestly) thought they were stupid, untrained, cannon fodder, but now it's quite clear they simply don't understand English.

Right. The task now is for somebody to come up with the right keywords to put into a support question to get the right result. Yorkshire Pudding? Celebrity Millionaire? Cormorant? Existentialism? Paper Clip?

Anyway, to date, it seems they are back to the old, old story of Latest Map Guarantee being a load of asterisks. So far as I'm aware, the only way to get Latest Map Guarantee to a) work and b) download in about 12 seconds, is to be called Anita. I know!! - next new device I get, I'll set myself up with a new email address like Anita at some ISP or other.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, do you still have the box that it was packaged in - the outer box, not the ONE box, I mean.

If you still have the outer box, does it have any details regarding the sender?

Did this unit come directly from TomTom, or was it despatched from a retailer??

Also, the outer packaging box ought to have details of when it was shipped - ie courier address label with date, or postmark if it was sent via Royal Mail.

It may be a long shot, but you might just be able to demonstrate to TomTom when it was sent and by whom - clearly different to the purchase date of the van.

However, because it was supplied free of charge, I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom argue that the purchase date WAS the date you purchased your van.

TomTom could possibly argue that you didn't buy the unit, so it'll do you no harm to buy the maps - but it\s always worth a try
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Ye Gods and little fishes!! They closed for our Bank Holiday, but an extra day earlier, and now for their Bank Holiday.

You shouldn't be surprised - the European Parliament close for every different member states' bank holidays and when there's a week without a bank holiday, they just give themselves a day off anyway Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Dennis, do you still have the box that it was packaged in - the outer box, not the ONE box, I mean.
I do believe I recycled the box by sending 720 #7 away in it. Laughing

In any event, I removed the despatch details, which were Royal Mail, sticky postage label, not dated/postmarked. It came from Renault. My feelings were that I've got it, I don't need to prove to myself that I've got it or when I got it, because I've got it. I haven't not got it, so what would I need to prove to myself? OK, so I didn't bargain for TomTom's funny ways. Confused

I shall look up the phone number of the Renault man and see if he can tell me anything, but I suspect all he does is report his sales on his weekly statistics form or something

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I do believe I recycled the box by sending 720 #7 away in it. Laughing

I thought you might save boxes, just in case something has to be sent back Wink

Quote:
In any event, I removed the despatch details, which were Royal Mail, sticky postage label, not dated/postmarked. It came from Renault.

I assumed that all Royal Mail stuff had a date and postage cost on the label (eg 26/04/08 £8.25), but if Renault printed their own label rather than trundling off to their local Post Office, then the label might not contain these details
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I thought you might save boxes
I have more boxes than you've had hot dinners! I've even got one I've had for a few weeks, still unopened. Contains a wireless printer which I can't set up anywhere because I have no space because of all the flaming boxes. I recycled the ONE box rather than put it on top of one of the (very unstable) heaps of boxes in my computer room. There are so many, I asked Vera the other day if we should convert the loft into a box room. (by "we", I meant a man - me and DIY not being compatible). We are good at keeping stuff - we have three sheds, a greenhouse and a summerhouse in the garden and we can't get into any of them but the greenhouse (and that's only because several plants have died).
Quote:
I assumed that all Royal Mail stuff had a date and postage cost on the label (eg 26/04/08 £8.25)
It didn't say that, did it? I thought I received it on the 24th. Confused

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
I assumed that all Royal Mail stuff had a date and postage cost on the label (eg 26/04/08 £8.25)

No you didn't say that - I just had a box to hand with a Special Delivery label on it and gave the details as an example of what I thought the labels displayed
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Quote:

No you didn't say that - I just had a box to hand with a Special Delivery label on it and gave the details as an example of what I thought the labels displayed

You're right for stuff that's sent from a post office or a franking machine, typically personal or small business items. Larger companies typically use a PPI which has a licence number and is charged to a credit account, these don't feature a date or price as tend to just be printed onto envelopes or address labels for anything being sent Smile

Most stuff requiring a signature usually has a special delivery or signed for sticker or a machine printed equivalent with the tracking number on, 13 digits and usually ends GB.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: