Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate any views on the charge life people have experienced, of the 8110 battery. I've written to Navigon suggesting my battery is failing but maybe their batteries are just not that good.

For one thing, mine discharges significantly and quickly even when turned off.

I did a timing test today, with the unit fully charged, turned on at the main Navigation screen with just a satellite fix, but no route or map activity. I had the brightness set at 4, with the screen saver on. Timing was:

Full (3 bars) to 2 bars between 1hr 45 minutes and 2 hours

2 bars to 1 bar between 25 and 30 minutes

1 bar to 'Low Battery' warning between 20 and 25 minutes

Obviously when I'm actually using it, it doesn't last this long - it's about 45 minutes for the 3 to 2 bar stage.

Any views gratefully received.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed about the battery life when in use. All GPS units I've had seem to suffer with battery drain when not used.
The Navigon does seem to go down quicker when not in use, some people have suggested that the bluetooth is still active when switched off so it's always using power?
For use out of the car I've always got a multi charger handy (powermonkey)
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have worsen with the 8110 to 8310 update. It got that worse that, despite being connected to the PC, the unit shuts down cause it hasn't any juice anymore. I decided that was the time to look out for another device/brand.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your USB port may not be giving the Navigon enough juice. Try plugging it in overnight (ensuring the PC doesn't turn itself off or go into powersave) and leave the Navigon to charge overnight until the little amber light at the bottom goes off.
The battery in the Navigon does seem to go down much faster when the bluetooth is turned on as it seems the bluetooth still draws power when the unit appears to be switched off.

The Navigon's don't seem to fully switch off as that's how they resume from the screen you were on when the unit was switched off.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Sounds like your USB port may not be giving the Navigon enough juice. Try plugging it in overnight (ensuring the PC doesn't turn itself off or go into powersave) and leave the Navigon to charge overnight until the little amber light at the bottom goes off.

The USB port works fine for alll other devices and did work for the 8110 some time ago.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

The USB port works fine for alll other devices and did work for the 8110 some time ago.

I had the same problem with the 2100max. The car charger is rated something like 1200mA (1.2A) while the USB port gives a lot less - possibly just 200mA - which is fine for powering devices but not for charging batteries Crying or Very sad . I went to Tesco and bought a USB mains charger giving 1000mA - don't get one giving just 500mA - for about £7. It charges fine now from the mains. Very Happy
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Bluetooth Reply with quote

Do you know if you can connect more than one bluetooth at a time with the 8310 (such as a phone and a headset) and if not can you connect a headset only to hear the voice commands and alerts? Thank you in advance
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Do you know if you can connect more than one bluetooth at a time with the 8310 (such as a phone and a headset) and if not can you connect a headset only to hear the voice commands and alerts? Thank you in advance

Could be wrong but I think a limitation of Bluetooth is only one device can be connected at once. I know I once asked ViaMichelin something similar and they said it was a bluetooth limitation?
Things could have changed since then though.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
michaelj2 wrote:

Could be wrong but I think a limitation of Bluetooth is only one device can be connected at once. I know I once asked ViaMichelin something similar and they said it was a bluetooth limitation?
Things could have changed since then though.

Yes you are right - only one device can be connected. I will try with a Bluetooth headset only and see what happens.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be good is if you can have more than 1 bluetooth device on the unit and it switch automatically when you switch one off or something.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Bluetooth Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
What would be good is if you can have more than 1 bluetooth device on the unit and it switch automatically when you switch one off or something.

Agreed. I tried a Jabra headset on its own but it did not pair. It seems to only pair with mobile phones.

Sorry to repeat an earlier question, but which email address do you use to "badger" Navigon?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

Agreed. I tried a Jabra headset on its own but it did not pair. It seems to only pair with mobile phones.

Sorry to repeat an earlier question, but which email address do you use to "badger" Navigon?

The best way is to use the support section, you put in a search and then after it gives the answers you can select the 'ask a question' and fill in the form to contact Navigon.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Navigon about my earlier query on battery life. JIC it's of any interest to anyone, they replied that one possible cause was leaving the unit in Standby instead of turning it off. So I asked them how to turn the unit off completely (I thought perhaps you had to press the On/Off button for more than 2 seconds).

Interesting reply
Quote:
A free software update is being created to solve this problem
Rolling Eyes
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I asked Navigon about my earlier query on battery life. JIC it's of any interest to anyone, they replied that one possible cause was leaving the unit in Standby instead of turning it off. So I asked them how to turn the unit off completely (I thought perhaps you had to press the On/Off button for more than 2 seconds).

Interesting reply
Quote:
A free software update is being created to solve this problem
Rolling Eyes

I often thought the device never really switched off. My Archos player is the same but they did put a option in the menu to power off instead of standby.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon have posted information as below;

Seems the 8110 was overlooked in giving it a option to 'power off' but if they are adding it as software that will be good.

"Battery duration:

NAVIGON in 2100 series:
Loading time for empty battery 2-3h, duration new battery approx. 3h

NAVIGON 5100 series:
Loading time for empty battery 4-5h, duration new battery approx. 4h

NAVIGON 7100 series:
Loading time for empty battery 4-5h, duration new battery approx. 5.5h

NAVIGON 8110:
Loading time for empty battery 4-5h

For information regarding different devices please refer to the attached user's manual guide or contact the provider or device's manufacturer.

Device switch off:

If you do not use your device for a longer period, switch off the device please:

PNA 4000, PNA 5000, PNA 6000: slide the on/off switch

NAVIGON 21xx, NAVIGON 51xx, NAVIGON 71xx press without releasing the on/off button for min. 6secs.

NAVIGON 8110: press at the same time the on/off button (upper side) and the Reset button (at the bottom side)

If a battery is not in use it looses with time part of its stored energy. One calls this process selfunloading. The rate of selfunloading depends on the type and age of the battery as well as room temperature. Selfunloading: monthly between 5% and 20% approx."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: