Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trip Statistics - Is Big Brother watching?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Statistics - Is Big Brother watching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tourer2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Trip Statistics - Is Big Brother watching? Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I'm new to this forum and haven't had a chance to look around, so if this is answered elsewhere then apologies for missing it...

Anyway, the new "trip statistics" feature in 7.540 for the TT Rider worries me a bit. I'm due to do a bit of touring abroad soon and am worried that I can't seem to switch off the trip statistics at all, or at least reset the "max speed"!

This means that any accidental peak above the legal limit is recorded on the TomTom with no option to delete it.

So here's my question...

Does anyone know how to disable the trip statistics (or at least reset them) or is this a sneaky way of Big Brother installing a sort of built in "speed camera" in the sat nav to spy and snitch???

Don't get me wrong... I don't condone speeding in any way, but how many of us never wander the wrong side of the national speed limit on the odd, rare occasion?

On a separate note, it was nice occasionally to plot routes with Tripmaster. Looks like TomTom have done their best to stop this app working too. Hey ho...
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom uses the data (anonymously) to compile the IQRoute data; I really don't think they care about you exceeding the speed limit, they just want to know what the average speed is for the road.

For example, I drive about 90 miles on highway to get to work, setting the cruise control at 72 when the speed limit is 65 the whole way. Without the IQ data, TomTom overestimated my travel time by about 20 minutes. With the IQ data, it was spot on when travelling 70-72mph. When I did one trip at 65 (the legal speed limit) my arrival time kept increasing because I was "falling behind".

That being said, if you really want to disable it, just use HOME-Tools-HOME Preferences and uncheck the "Enable Usage Statistics" option.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be confusing Usage statistics with the 'Trip meter' which is part of the new RIDER software. In this, your maximum speed, among other things, is recorded. It would appear that this cannot be deleted.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the catch, Tim. I'll go update my Rider right now so I know what I'm talking about next time.
tourer2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, and thanks Tim for your response. So it looks like the Trip Statistics can't be deleted.

I have an answer to my problem I think...

Next time I go on holiday by plane I'll switch my Rider on whilst on the plane for a bit. That way it'll register my "max speed" as being 500 mph! That'll conceal any accidental speed limit infringement I ever do on the road from then on!

Of course it'd be better if TomTom updated the software to disable the feature, or at least have a "Reset" switch so I don't have to pay for the air-fare!

And a message to TomTom... pay the (brilliant) author of TripMaster an obscene amount of money for their code and develop it into to your next release. The excellent, stable and well thought out functionality it gives would be a key selling point over your competitors!

Anyway, I'm off to work out how to revert back to the earlier TomTom release...

Cheers and beers!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry? Just blame it on a Track Day....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Why worry? Just blame it on a Track Day....

Good point indeed -who's to say the speed was recorded by the owner of the Sat Nav unit, on a public road or on the road at all for that matter.

Check out the "Max Speed" on my Garmin Quest.

This was recorded in a Boeing 777-200 - no worries about topping that speed on my bike. Laughing

Welcome tourer2 by the way - I do agree that you should be able to reset it easily. The Quest does offer this feature...
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Zero all trip statistics.

If you have a spare SD card put an older firmware/software version on it (V6+) ? then use this card to boot the Rider up, switch off then use the new Rider SD card version , you will now find all the trip statistics have been reset back to zero Smile

If any one knows an easier way please share the info Very Happy
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Medion records data as the shots below. The first screen can be cleared by clicking the broom Laughing

But cannot get the Plot GPS Track to turn off even when I set it to off.

It can only be cleared by downloading the data which can be viewed via Google Earth and other programs including AutoMap with all the route and speeds shown Embarassed

Having said that my wife’s Volvo has a black box of some type fitted as standard. It’s said that the boys in blue can demand the data from it after an accident etc.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
my wife’s Volvo has a black box of some type fitted as standard. It’s said that the boys in blue can demand the data from it after an accident etc.

There was a recent case where data from an airbag sensor was used to estimate the speed of the vehicle before the crash, apparently the first time this has been done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7364804.stm

I wonder how long it will be before someone's GPS tracklog data is used against them...

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of a particular case, there are serious privacy concerns here. Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before someone's GPS tracklog data is used against them...

if they have brains though they will realise that it may not be accurate. all it takes is a dodgy sattelite fix for a split second and your speed is suddenly 300mph in the other direction...!

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if they have brains though they will realise that it may not be accurate. all it takes is a dodgy sattelite fix for a split second and your speed is suddenly 300mph in the other direction...!

There might be the odd dodgy fix, but over the course of a few miles they could easily gather evidence of how the vehicle was being driven and it may be incriminating.... Evil or Very Mad
tourer2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Well, there always seems to be someone out there who's had that good idea before me... At least now I know his nickname's Skippy Wink !

Thanks uptowndisco for the workaround. It works a treat. At least I can reset it when I need now.

Perhaps I'll drop a line direct to TomTom to suggest they add a reset and/or disable feature for the Stats in their next release. It'd be interesting to see how much notice they take!
GavinDunnett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: serious privacy concerns Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
my wife’s Volvo has a black box of some type fitted as standard. It’s said that the boys in blue can demand the data from it after an accident etc.

There was a recent case where data from an airbag sensor was used to estimate the speed of the vehicle before the crash, apparently the first time this has been done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7364804.stm

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of a particular case, there are serious privacy concerns here. Confused

Hi Skippy,
Drivers shouldn't expect a right to privacy when using a public road. Driving is a privilege, not a person right.
As for GPS tracklog data this can be a useful tool in protecting a driver from false accusation and might even in the future allow for much cheaper insurance as the companies can separate out the responsible drivers from the minority of bad drivers we all pay for.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: serious privacy concerns Reply with quote

GavinDunnett wrote:

Drivers shouldn't expect a right to privacy when using a public road. Driving is a privilege, not a person right.

Disagree totally, but hey...

As for using the black boxes, SatNav logs or airbag triggers as PROOF of your speed, I think that would be a lawyer's paradise!

What about all the rigorous testing and type approval that speed cameras and detectors have to go through before they can be used as evidence? These things have none of that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: