Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do you carry your Satmap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you carry your Satmap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satmapmapsat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: How do you carry your Satmap Reply with quote

Hiya, do you use the case and if so does it still receive the signal OK ?

(Just got mine - off to the Lakes this W/E - cant wait).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the device works fine in the case and continues to pick up a signal with no problems even when under the jacket whilst still in the case.

A few pointers though, don't put it in the case with the screen still powered up, if you catch the joystick it will switch out of GPS mode and go straight to planning. To avoid this set the unit up so it remains powered up and turns the backlight off after 30 seconds of inactivity:

Settings/ Power Control:
Automatic Power Saving = Always On
Automatic Screen Turn Off = Off after 30 seconds
Alert When Screen Off = Off

Advanced Power Control = Normal

Backlight as per your preference, the lower the value the better the battery duration, avoiding 100% can make a significant difference.

If you use the above settings you won't go far wrong, just wait for the screen to go off before putting the unit in the case, when you need it simply press the power button for the device to spring to life - DO NOT use the power button to turn the screen off unless you have finished with the device for the day, simply wait for the backlight to go out before holstering the unit. In the event of bright sunlight use the backlight boost button when you need to use the device, rather than turning the default brightness up to maximum - it saves on battery power over a full day.

Oh and when you are ready to go out for the day switch the unit on outside BEFORE you put boots/ gaiters on etc - this first fix is crucial for the unit to work correctly and it must be stationary while obtaining the data needed. I find the time taken to put the footwear on is more than sufficient to achieve this. Finally enjoy the device and the Lakes - two great choices - Mike
Satmapmapsat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, I expected (if I was luck) maybe someone to say something like "yes it works fine in the case". Thanks a lot for such a full and informative reply. I have just received my Stmap today and had a play with it for the 1st time. Got my 1st fix in about 5 mins.

Bring on the Weekend !!

Thank You Again "!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good mess around with it before you take it in the field - you need to know how it ticks, it isn't a difficult device to use at all - in fact it is easy to use, but for a first outing I would make sure I understood what and how the basic options did.

As for power, if you have the rechargable pack great, if not take a couple of spare sets of the Energizer Lithium cells with you, whilst they cost more they are far more cost effective in terms of pounds spent per hour used. Duracells just don't last the distance, and any lessor type of cell will be even worse - Mike
fatchef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Have a good mess around with it before you take it in the field - you need to know how it ticks, it isn't a difficult device to use at all - in fact it is easy to use,
Mike

And if excitement gets the better of you and you forget everything you've learnt as you're putting your boots on - try and remember just one thing - To press "start" (on the trip log page) as you step off Rolling Eyes (and of course "stop" when you finish)

I'm know i'm not the only one to have done it (or rather - not done it! Very Happy )

Enjoy your weekend & the A10, as Mike says, it really is easy to use.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clip the satmap case to my rucksac strap so it is at shoulder height and easy to access one-handed. This arrangement works brilliantly, and the unit keeps 10-11 satellites locked, even when walking up steep slopes.
I also cut off the 2 metal D-rings on the case, in the hope that it might improve the performance of the electronic compass Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: