Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - Disguising Vans Now
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - Disguising Vans Now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetleyman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm doing interviews for the BBC tomorrow, it's stirring up quite some interest unsurprisingly!

Super stuff Darren, keep us updated as to what is said. The more coverage this article gets the better.

Pete.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you even pretend to believe that cameras are anything but a source of revenue, you're smoking crack.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some modern update on the CB radio might be useful, using channel 999 to keep other roadusers informed of such covert or rather underhanded tactics. Perhaps instead of TOMTOM and other manufacturers including MP3 and Video players into their GPS systems they could instead incorporate a more useful feature that allows motorists to press an icon or button on their device when they spot a HIGHWAY ROBBER, which can be use to transmits a warning to other motorists in the vicinity, via bluetooth to phone networks.

As per usual, we all acknowledge that the motorist is being ripped off, which of course we are, but as per usual we then sit back and simply wait for the NIP to happen. Of course, if the price of petrol/diesel gets much higher then few of us will be able afford to use our cars anyway, we won't get caught speeding, speed cameras will become pointless and the economy will go tits up.

Isn't it about time we campaigned more forcefully as a comsumer group to limit the abuse of power the government is unleashing on motorist to raise treasury funds? When do we get to say enough is enough? Well done Darren for going to the BBC. but a lot more momentum will need to follow to change the tatics being employed, especially as it brings in such wealth. Our speed limits are increasingly being brought down to make the crime of speeding ever more likely for all of us. With such easy pickings to be made, would you stop?

Whilst our police officers are sat in police stations, filling out forms of one sort or another, we have "Commuity Beat Officers" pretending to be police out on our streets instead, helpless in most cases to be able to do anything to deter real crime. Put them in the station instead to fill out the forms, and get the real coppers back out on the beat where they should be. Campaign to get rid of the Pirate Road Safety partnerships and get our high visibility traffic police cars back on the road instead also, doing what they should be doing, making our roads and community safe. We pay our taxes to have a police force, if anything they should be out there defending the motorist against the highway robbery taking place on our roads today. Dick Turpin, hung for his crimes..

Perhaps as a last resort or even as a first, we motorists should buy our own high visibility marking/signs and pull up and park next to these disguised vehicles to prevent them from robbing us all and hit back instead of sitting back!
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetleyman wrote:
darren wrote:
I'm doing interviews for the BBC tomorrow, it's stirring up quite some interest unsurprisingly!

Super stuff Darren, keep us updated as to what is said. The more coverage this article gets the better.

Pete.

They will have to use a lot of make-up to hide your little perforations. You also may want to point out the Offence of Failing to Notify DVLA of the change of colour
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
tetleyman wrote:

Pete.

They will have to use a lot of make-up to hide your little perforations. You also may want to point out the Offence of Failing to Notify DVLA of the change of colour

hopefully it's radio where no makeup is required Wink Wink

regarding the dvla stuff - where was this search conducted? and how up to date is their database? 2 months after i changed my registration i got a tax renewal form with the old reg on it... so if it's a recent change then it could well be innocent....

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

It is, I have a face for radio Cool
Quote:
regarding the dvla stuff - where was this search conducted? and how up to date is their database? 2 months after i changed my registration i got a tax renewal form with the old reg on it... so if it's a recent change then it could well be innocent....
I'm still awaiting the call, they did say it may be recorded over the weekend or sometime this morning so I'll let you know.

As for the colour issue, I will raise it but I'll bet they have or claim to have informed DVLA and it's just a delay in updating the public record.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MaFt wrote:

It is, I have a face for radio Cool
Is that a DAB Radio with an LCD face, or an older version, with a dial and knobs you can twist? Out of here

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valve driven one in a large wooden case Wink
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
A valve driven one in a large wooden case Wink

Never mind the Wink - the valve driven ones have always had the best sound quality Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am struggling really hard to see the connection between valve radios and disguised Speed cam vans. Is there any? Or is this just a bit of the well known and much loved OT lighthearted banter Question Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right it is and it'll stop. Embarassed Do as I say and not as I do!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, in the multimedia 21st century, even radio stations have webcams in the studios.

BBC Radio Derby studiocam
BBC Radio Solent studiocam (just in case they ask you to record in the local station)

Let us know what time they are recording please.
Out of here
Brodit ProClip mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do as I say and not as I do!

Absolutely. I had forgotten that saying since my son left home 20 odd years ago Very Happy Back to the vans Embarassed
tronny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why only a few weeks ago in the northumbria force area various "builders vans" had been parked in lay-bys on the A19 and A69. these vehicles were both burgundy in colour and hand rear tinted windows that were clearly not part of the vans original make up and did not befit the age or condition of the vehicles.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tronny wrote:
why only a few weeks ago in the northumbria force area various "builders vans" had been parked in lay-bys on the A19 and A69. these vehicles were both burgundy in colour and hand rear tinted windows that were clearly not part of the vans original make up and did not befit the age or condition of the vehicles.

I reckon these were not so much camera vans, as "rat-traps" - deliberate attempts to have thieves break in and make off with unsecured vehicles, like the RS Cosworth Northumbria Police had many years ago that could be disabled and halted by remote control from officers hidden in bushes or a van nearby, once the thieves had stolen it, with the doors locking on said offenders.

These vans you refer to are instead clever and elaborate traps for er, what are we allowed to say on here... erm, rogue builders, and words likely to cause offence to some have been removed people and such like, attracted to these old, battered workhorse transits.

Grins.

On a more serious note, and staying on topic, I have also noticed one of the vans you mentioned, but a while further back than that, and indeed, when this story about the Derbyshire van first surfaced, I thought "hang on a minute, this is ringing a bell now".

So I will keep a better eye out next time in Northumberland and Tyne and Wear. Might pay all the rest of you lot to do the same until someone can confirm or deny this.

Anyway, getting back to a LESS serious (but still factual) note... the funniest thing of all was the time the "rat trap" Cosworth failed to "disable" when thieves broke into it once - and officers could only watch helpless and hapless as joyriders made of in a very expensive Ford Cosworth that had been left deliberately unlocked.

That made big news back in the day...

Oops, going too far o/t now. Oh well, must keep eyes open for those pesky Northumbria Police Builders Mates Vans..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: