Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Funnily enough now when you take a driving test you can fail if you dont "make proper progress" and with a motorbike you are expected to get to the limit of the road in a reasonable time that you are driving on and maintain as longs as conditions allow that speed

This is quite reasonable as it is suprising how many people will exceed the speed limit through say a 30 limit but will travel at 50 when they offered 60. Maintaining the speed limit can improve traffic flow. I do find it funny to challenge friends to drive to the speed limit and watch them all struggle to keep to a 30 limit! Rolling Eyes

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Mr cheerful! When you passed your IAM a few weeks ago, did your speedo show 75mph when you tooled along the motorway? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red flags HUH when I passed me test it was all black and white.

But if you dont drive at 29 in a 30 then you arent making progress. Mind that is different from the police motorcyclists making progress which is 10 mph over limit Very Happy

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
But if you dont drive at 29 in a 30 then you arent making progress. Mind that is different from the police motorcyclists making progress which is 10 mph over limit Very Happy

When I took my Advanced Police Motorcyclist training, our instructor used to tap our rear wheel with his front if we weren't making sufficient haste. The National Speed limit signs would forever hence be known as GLF signs Wink
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Quite a little rant Dennis

Funnily enough now when you take a driving test you can fail if you dont "make proper progress" and with a motorbike you are expected to get to the limit of the road in a reasonable time that you are driving on and maintain as longs as conditions allow that speed

Go figure

Rolling Eyes

This has been the case for many years - so has the fact that you can fail if you exceed the speed limit!!

Speed limits are MAXIMUM, not a target or guideline

Do these comments also mean that you decide which Give Way, Stop, No Entry signs you choose to abide by??

Jakers! It's no wonder that driving isn't so much fun any more, and this would go some way to explaining to seemingly unpredictable behaviour of some motorists Twisted Evil
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Come on Mr cheerful! When you passed your IAM a few weeks ago, did your speedo show 75mph when you tooled along the motorway? Laughing

When I tried to explain the difference between tacho speed and gps speed I got little responce exept 'the examiner will be looking at your speedo' so on the motorway I was doing 70 on the speedo. But it is considered on roads like that if you need 5mph to complete a maneuver it is ok, as long as you return to the speed limit, but an extra 5 in a 30 then you just kissed your license goodbye.

tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomthompson wrote:
Quite a little rant Dennis

Go figure

This has been the case for many years - so has the fact that you can fail if you exceed the speed limit!!

Speed limits are MAXIMUM, not a target or guideline

Do these comments also mean that you decide which Give Way, Stop, No Entry signs you choose to abide by??

There is in any rule a proviso that governs other aspects

bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me laugh reading all this. I passed my test 20 years ago, and I was quizzed by the examiner on the internal workings of the engine. After he said I passed I asked why the question on the engine - The answer - Learn to use it to get to the speed limit quicker. So its nothing new making progress and all that.

Anyway if you aren't driving on the limit, then you are a hazard to someone who wants to. Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
as longs as conditions allow that speed

Could you make that a it bigger and bolder please, because at my age reading needs longer arms Wink

The comments in my previous post weren't all aimed at any individual member and some posts raised questions concerning safe driving practices and not everybody made any reference to the prevailing conditions
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being one of the slightly mature peeps around here I do like to have fun with these new fangled computer thingees

Rolling Eyes

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
on the motorway I was doing 70 on the speedo. But it is considered on roads like that if you need 5mph to complete a maneuver it is ok
To pass somebody doing the legal 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway (no oncoming traffic to avoid), in order to drive faster than the legal limit (and continue to do so, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to carry out the 75mph overtaking manoeuvre). Confused

By the way, don't anybody be offended - my comments are definitely not aimed at anybody in particular (just all you wicked Peggers who think it's OK to find ANY excuse to exceed the speed limit).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
To pass somebody doing the legal 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway (no oncoming traffic to avoid), in order to drive faster than the legal limit (and continue to do so, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to carry out the 75mph overtaking maneuver).

...'To complete a maneuver' could be a number of possible occasions which may put you in front of the careless hordes of speeders, (no one in particular). Should you (a) Slow down and get back in your lane like a good little boy or (b) speed up a little, and complete the maneuver you started at 70 mph*.

* assuming what you were overtaking was doing less than 70 Taunt

PeterPhillips
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only next step I can see is to make each SPEC also a static then it will get you both ways, I think the pit stop is a good option and the short cut idea is also a real issue. With so many digital maps available who is defining what the standard map/ distance between points is?? The DVLA? RED KEN? is there an ISO Digimapstandard? How long will it be before we get to the world of sci-fi and the bird in the sky guiding us on our way is the judge that meters out a fine or worse. Sorry old theme already done in "The Fith Element" (Bruce) and "The Sly Stalone movie" forgot its name, but its not really important is it!!!!

Anyway lets not be sinical, this will clearly release a massive police resource to catch thiefs, muggers, or worse, criminals speeding away from the scene of a crime.

Well done Ken, clearly looking for the motorist vote in the forthcoming elections.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these cameras for bus lanes, safety(?) and parking etc its just another move towards Bum on seats policing and revenue gathering. within ten years you will get fined for poking your nose out of your front door and there wont be a sole in the street.
chrissuk2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be great if they spent a little more effort in pursuing real criminals such as rapists/burglars/muggers or even maybe motorists with defective vehicles/lights etc. The problem there is that it relies on manpower and intelligence, as opposed to employing a machine/camera to do the thinking. Duuuuh!
One sometimes wonders which is the more intelligent. Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: